Can a PCI Express 3.0 x16 work in a PCI Express 2.0 x16 PCI Express 2.

A Hamburgl3r

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Ok so right now i have a gtx 550ti and was wondering if i could upgrade to a gtx 670. But my motherboard has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 and the gtx 670 is a PCI Express 3.0 x16. So will the gtx 670 fit or no. I also did not mean to add PCI Express 2. at the end of the title...

Solution
There are always some exceptions, these are few and far between. Sometimes a certain motherboard wont like running X or Y GPU but generally they are all backwards compatible.
You shouldn't get issues with a 2.0 slot, it tends to be 1.1 and lower where the issues start. As I said even then very few and far between.

I just mention it so that you are aware there is not 100% compatibility right across the board. Always check if you are unsure.

Mactronix :)

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Yes, it will work. PCI-E 3 is basically theoretical at this point and 2.0 is just fine for all cards.

There are always some exceptions, these are few and far between. Sometimes a certain motherboard wont like running X or Y GPU but generally they are all backwards compatible.
You shouldn't get issues with a 2.0 slot, it tends to be 1.1 and lower where the issues start. As I said even then very few and far between.

I just mention it so that you are aware there is not 100% compatibility right across the board. Always check if you are unsure.

Mactronix :)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS