Multiple network adapters & choosing by app

Nez

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hello.

I'm not sure whether this thread should be in LAN/WAN or here, but I thought this section would be more appropriate.

Basically, I have two network adapters on my PC with Windows 7 (both Gbit network cards, not that it matters), which are both connected to a router with access to the internet.

The first connection is the university network; it's very fast and has great response times (ping of around 10-20ms throughout Europe). Unfortunately, it's traffic capped and gets disabled (or at least they try...) once I pass 4 GByte during any one month.

The second connection is my own private connection with less bandwidth and normal response times. However, it's doesn't have traffic limitations.

Since I do sometimes play online games - 3D shooters where ping matter, specifically - I was wondering whether it's possible to choose a network/internet connection based on the application. I would use the university connection exclusively for gaming, while using my private connection for everything else.

I did read in some similar threads about configuring routes for individual IP addresses or IP blocks; however, that would not really be easier than disabling one connection while gaming and disabling the other while not. The only added benefit would lie in the fact that I could play and download at the same time; I would still have to add a route for every single gaming server manually each time before connecting, which would actually be an added effort.

Ideally, I would like some software to do this more me automatically based on the application opening the connection. Does anyone know whether any such option exists?

Thanks in advance.

Nez

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
No one yet?

I just come over another question that I haven't managed to figure out. It has to do with how the different network layers work I guess, so maybe someone more familiar with the subject can give me a quick answer.

If I use a VPN through the first router and a normal internet connection on the other, would it work to just route all the traffic directed at the VPN server IP through that connection? My guess is no, but like I said, I haven't figured it out.

Thanks again.