moricons and new icons

How can I get "moricons" to open? I have the .dll file, but I get a message
that there is no application attached and I have to create a file or folder?
I also want to know how to download new icons and where to put them so I can
use them to change icons
23 answers Last reply
More about moricons icons

    Right click folder | Properties | Customize tab |
    Change Icon button | Browse button |
    Navigate to where you have Icons stored. I.e. Somewhere that you have saved
    icons, like %homepath%\ICONS

    Change Icon button
    [[Click to change the icon that represents the folder in all views except
    Thumbnails.]]

    You can also Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\moricons.dll from the Change Icon
    button.

    [[You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows; however,
    you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut
    icon. ]]
    How to Change the Default Icons for Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310192

    Some places to download icon files...

    Jeff's Icons
    http://www.jeffs-icons.com/

    Scrow's Icons
    http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html

    Ur I.T. Mate Group Freeware Library Icon Library
    http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:B41EBD07-D8FD-42EA-B817-ED420B74DC4A@microsoft.com,
    ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > How can I get "moricons" to open? I have the .dll file, but I get a
    > message that there is no application attached and I have to create a file
    > or folder? I also want to know how to download new icons and where to put
    > them so I can use them to change icons

    Thanks! I'll check it out and get back to you.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Right click folder | Properties | Customize tab |
    > Change Icon button | Browse button |
    > Navigate to where you have Icons stored. I.e. Somewhere that you have saved
    > icons, like %homepath%\ICONS
    >
    > Change Icon button
    > [[Click to change the icon that represents the folder in all views except
    > Thumbnails.]]
    >
    > You can also Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\moricons.dll from the Change Icon
    > button.
    >
    > [[You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows; however,
    > you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut
    > icon. ]]
    > How to Change the Default Icons for Folders in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310192
    >
    > Some places to download icon files...
    >
    > Jeff's Icons
    > http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
    >
    > Scrow's Icons
    > http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
    >
    > Ur I.T. Mate Group Freeware Library Icon Library
    > http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:B41EBD07-D8FD-42EA-B817-ED420B74DC4A@microsoft.com,
    > ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > How can I get "moricons" to open? I have the .dll file, but I get a
    > > message that there is no application attached and I have to create a file
    > > or folder? I also want to know how to download new icons and where to put
    > > them so I can use them to change icons

    Ileneupstate

    Rather than navigate to 'moricons.dll', look in the same folder for
    'shell32.dll.. the icons contained in 'moricons' go back years.. I remember
    them from years ago..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "ileneupstate" <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I get "moricons" to open? I have the .dll file, but I get a
    > message
    > that there is no application attached and I have to create a file or
    > folder?
    > I also want to know how to download new icons and where to put them so I
    > can
    > use them to change icons

    Wes

    One learns something new every day.. whose idea was it to include icons that
    been dropped.. :-)

    --

    > Right click folder | Properties | Customize tab |
    > Change Icon button | Browse button |
    > Navigate to where you have Icons stored. I.e. Somewhere that you have
    > saved
    > icons, like %homepath%\ICONS
    >
    > Change Icon button
    > [[Click to change the icon that represents the folder in all views except
    > Thumbnails.]]
    >
    > You can also Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\moricons.dll from the Change
    > Icon
    > button.
    >
    > [[You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows; however,
    > you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut
    > icon. ]]
    > How to Change the Default Icons for Folders in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310192
    >
    > Some places to download icon files...
    >
    > Jeff's Icons
    > http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
    >
    > Scrow's Icons
    > http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
    >
    > Ur I.T. Mate Group Freeware Library Icon Library
    > http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:B41EBD07-D8FD-42EA-B817-ED420B74DC4A@microsoft.com,
    > ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> How can I get "moricons" to open? I have the .dll file, but I get a
    >> message that there is no application attached and I have to create a file
    >> or folder? I also want to know how to download new icons and where to put
    >> them so I can use them to change icons

    Mike,

    I just checked on it when I read the OP.

    Change Icon button defaults to %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll.

    It's a lot of work navigating to %homepath%\My Documents\ICONS so it hardly
    seems worth it navigating to moricons.dll.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:udMVodGdFHA.1276@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes
    >
    > One learns something new every day.. whose idea was it to include icons
    > that go back to the days of Lotus 123 v.1?.. I thought that the moricons
    > file had been dropped.. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    >> Right click folder | Properties | Customize tab |
    >> Change Icon button | Browse button |
    >> Navigate to where you have Icons stored. I.e. Somewhere that you have
    >> saved
    >> icons, like %homepath%\ICONS
    >>
    >> Change Icon button
    >> [[Click to change the icon that represents the folder in all views except
    >> Thumbnails.]]
    >>
    >> You can also Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\moricons.dll from the Change
    >> Icon
    >> button.
    >>
    >> [[You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows; however,
    >> you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut
    >> icon. ]]
    >> How to Change the Default Icons for Folders in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310192
    >>
    >> Some places to download icon files...
    >>
    >> Jeff's Icons
    >> http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
    >>
    >> Scrow's Icons
    >> http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
    >>
    >> Ur I.T. Mate Group Freeware Library Icon Library
    >> http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:B41EBD07-D8FD-42EA-B817-ED420B74DC4A@microsoft.com,
    >> ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> How can I get "moricons" to open? I have the .dll file, but I get a
    >>> message that there is no application attached and I have to create a
    >>> file or folder? I also want to know how to download new icons and where
    >>> to put them so I can use them to change icons

    Wes

    I do use the icons in Shell32 already, and have also downloaded icons from
    other sources.. just can't remember where, or I would tell you.. lol.. my
    memory is really not what it was at all..

    --

    > Mike,
    >
    > I just checked on it when I read the OP.
    >
    > Change Icon button defaults to %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll.
    >
    > It's a lot of work navigating to %homepath%\My Documents\ICONS so it
    > hardly
    > seems worth it navigating to moricons.dll.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:udMVodGdFHA.1276@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> One learns something new every day.. whose idea was it to include icons
    >> that go back to the days of Lotus 123 v.1?.. I thought that the moricons
    >> file had been dropped.. :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    >>> Right click folder | Properties | Customize tab |
    >>> Change Icon button | Browse button |
    >>> Navigate to where you have Icons stored. I.e. Somewhere that you have
    >>> saved
    >>> icons, like %homepath%\ICONS
    >>>
    >>> Change Icon button
    >>> [[Click to change the icon that represents the folder in all views
    >>> except
    >>> Thumbnails.]]
    >>>
    >>> You can also Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\moricons.dll from the Change
    >>> Icon
    >>> button.
    >>>
    >>> [[You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows;
    >>> however,
    >>> you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut
    >>> icon. ]]
    >>> How to Change the Default Icons for Folders in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310192
    >>>
    >>> Some places to download icon files...
    >>>
    >>> Jeff's Icons
    >>> http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
    >>>
    >>> Scrow's Icons
    >>> http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
    >>>
    >>> Ur I.T. Mate Group Freeware Library Icon Library
    >>> http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:B41EBD07-D8FD-42EA-B817-ED420B74DC4A@microsoft.com,
    >>> ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Mike,

    What I am saying is that the icons in moricons.dll are so ugly that it is
    not worth the effort to even browse to them.

    I glom onto icons where ever I happen to find 'em.

    Example...

    Go here, right click and Create Shortcut
    http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/troubleshoot.aspx?ln=en

    Open %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files, locate the
    favicon.ico file, drag it to the Desktop and Rename it to whatever. Mine is
    Microsoft Update.ico.

    Like I said, I find 'em where ever. :-D

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23TFcYiPdFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes
    >
    > I do use the icons in Shell32 already, and have also downloaded icons from
    > other sources.. just can't remember where, or I would tell you.. lol.. my
    > memory is really not what it was at all..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    >> Mike,
    >>
    >> I just checked on it when I read the OP.
    >>
    >> Change Icon button defaults to %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll.
    >>
    >> It's a lot of work navigating to %homepath%\My Documents\ICONS so it
    >> hardly
    >> seems worth it navigating to moricons.dll.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:udMVodGdFHA.1276@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Wes
    >>>
    >>> One learns something new every day.. whose idea was it to include icons
    >>> that go back to the days of Lotus 123 v.1?.. I thought that the moricons
    >>> file had been dropped.. :-)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >>> kept
    >>> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    Wes

    They are more than ugly.. but back in the days of Win 3.1/3.11?...........
    Windows neatly tiled, and looking for something to fill them.. moricons were
    good then, eh..

    --

    > Mike,
    >
    > What I am saying is that the icons in moricons.dll are so ugly that it is
    > not worth the effort to even browse to them.
    >
    > I glom onto icons where ever I happen to find 'em.
    >
    > Example...
    >
    > Go here, right click and Create Shortcut
    > http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/troubleshoot.aspx?ln=en
    >
    > Open %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files, locate the
    > favicon.ico file, drag it to the Desktop and Rename it to whatever. Mine
    > is
    > Microsoft Update.ico.
    >
    > Like I said, I find 'em where ever. :-D
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:%23TFcYiPdFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> I do use the icons in Shell32 already, and have also downloaded icons
    >> from
    >> other sources.. just can't remember where, or I would tell you.. lol.. my
    >> memory is really not what it was at all..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    >>> Mike,
    >>>
    >>> I just checked on it when I read the OP.
    >>>
    >>> Change Icon button defaults to %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll.
    >>>
    >>> It's a lot of work navigating to %homepath%\My Documents\ICONS so it
    >>> hardly
    >>> seems worth it navigating to moricons.dll.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:udMVodGdFHA.1276@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >>> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:

    Yes, Mike.

    In one of the private groups there's been a lot of discussion about Windows
    95 and Internet Explorer. My old machine, which is decomposing as I write
    this because I gave it to my folks, has Windows 95 on it as an upgrade from
    3.11.

    I should've kept it started a museum. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:u%239V6SQdFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes
    >
    > They are more than ugly.. but back in the days of Win 3.1/3.11?...........
    > Windows neatly tiled, and looking for something to fill them.. moricons
    > were good then, eh..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    >> Mike,
    >>
    >> What I am saying is that the icons in moricons.dll are so ugly that it is
    >> not worth the effort to even browse to them.
    >>
    >> I glom onto icons where ever I happen to find 'em.
    >>
    >> Example...
    >>
    >> Go here, right click and Create Shortcut
    >> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/troubleshoot.aspx?ln=en
    >>
    >> Open %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files, locate the
    >> favicon.ico file, drag it to the Desktop and Rename it to whatever. Mine
    >> is
    >> Microsoft Update.ico.
    >>
    >> Like I said, I find 'em where ever. :-D
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:%23TFcYiPdFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Wes
    >>>
    >>> I do use the icons in Shell32 already, and have also downloaded icons
    >>> from
    >>> other sources.. just can't remember where, or I would tell you.. lol..
    >>> my memory is really not what it was at all..
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >>> kept
    >>> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks. It worked. I appreciate your help.

    Ilene

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Right click folder | Properties | Customize tab |
    > Change Icon button | Browse button |
    > Navigate to where you have Icons stored. I.e. Somewhere that you have saved
    > icons, like %homepath%\ICONS
    >
    > Change Icon button
    > [[Click to change the icon that represents the folder in all views except
    > Thumbnails.]]
    >
    > You can also Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\moricons.dll from the Change Icon
    > button.
    >
    > [[You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows; however,
    > you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut
    > icon. ]]
    > How to Change the Default Icons for Folders in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310192
    >
    > Some places to download icon files...
    >
    > Jeff's Icons
    > http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
    >
    > Scrow's Icons
    > http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
    >
    > Ur I.T. Mate Group Freeware Library Icon Library
    > http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:B41EBD07-D8FD-42EA-B817-ED420B74DC4A@microsoft.com,
    > ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > How can I get "moricons" to open? I have the .dll file, but I get a
    > > message that there is no application attached and I have to create a file
    > > or folder? I also want to know how to download new icons and where to put
    > > them so I can use them to change icons

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Thanks, Mike and Wes and everybody. You've all been very helpful.

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Ileneupstate
    >
    > Rather than navigate to 'moricons.dll', look in the same folder for
    > 'shell32.dll.. the icons contained in 'moricons' go back years.. I remember
    > them from years ago..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
    >

    > "ileneupstate" <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How can I get "moricons" to open? I have the .dll file, but I get a
    > > message
    > > that there is no application attached and I have to create a file or
    > > folder?
    > > I also want to know how to download new icons and where to put them so I
    > > can
    > > use them to change icons

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    You betcha, Ilene. Keep having fun. :-)

    Upstate, where?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3B014B55-F811-4553-B738-35B9D6D9A65B@microsoft.com,
    ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks. It worked. I appreciate your help.
    >
    > Ilene
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Right click folder | Properties | Customize tab |
    >> Change Icon button | Browse button |
    >> Navigate to where you have Icons stored. I.e. Somewhere that you have
    >> saved icons, like %homepath%\ICONS
    >>
    >> Change Icon button
    >> [[Click to change the icon that represents the folder in all views except
    >> Thumbnails.]]
    >>
    >> You can also Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\moricons.dll from the Change
    >> Icon button.
    >>
    >> [[You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows; however,
    >> you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut
    >> icon. ]]
    >> How to Change the Default Icons for Folders in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310192
    >>
    >> Some places to download icon files...
    >>
    >> Jeff's Icons
    >> http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
    >>
    >> Scrow's Icons
    >> http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
    >>
    >> Ur I.T. Mate Group Freeware Library Icon Library
    >> http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:B41EBD07-D8FD-42EA-B817-ED420B74DC4A@microsoft.com,
    >> ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> How can I get "moricons" to open? I have the .dll file, but I get a
    >>> message that there is no application attached and I have to create a
    >>> file or folder? I also want to know how to download new icons and where
    >>> to put them so I can use them to change icons
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Carmel, NY

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > You betcha, Ilene. Keep having fun. :-)
    >
    > Upstate, where?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:3B014B55-F811-4553-B738-35B9D6D9A65B@microsoft.com,
    > ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Thanks. It worked. I appreciate your help.
    > >
    > > Ilene
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Right click folder | Properties | Customize tab |
    > >> Change Icon button | Browse button |
    > >> Navigate to where you have Icons stored. I.e. Somewhere that you have
    > >> saved icons, like %homepath%\ICONS
    > >>
    > >> Change Icon button
    > >> [[Click to change the icon that represents the folder in all views except
    > >> Thumbnails.]]
    > >>
    > >> You can also Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\moricons.dll from the Change
    > >> Icon button.
    > >>
    > >> [[You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows; however,
    > >> you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut
    > >> icon. ]]
    > >> How to Change the Default Icons for Folders in Windows XP
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310192
    > >>
    > >> Some places to download icon files...
    > >>
    > >> Jeff's Icons
    > >> http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
    > >>
    > >> Scrow's Icons
    > >> http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
    > >>
    > >> Ur I.T. Mate Group Freeware Library Icon Library
    > >> http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:B41EBD07-D8FD-42EA-B817-ED420B74DC4A@microsoft.com,
    > >> ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Wes

    Tracking the IP#, it looks like downstate Pa.. :-)

    --

    > You betcha, Ilene. Keep having fun. :-)
    >
    > Upstate, where?
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:3B014B55-F811-4553-B738-35B9D6D9A65B@microsoft.com,
    > ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Thanks. It worked. I appreciate your help.
    >>
    >> Ilene
    >>
    >> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Right click folder | Properties | Customize tab |
    >>> Change Icon button | Browse button |
    >>> Navigate to where you have Icons stored. I.e. Somewhere that you have
    >>> saved icons, like %homepath%\ICONS
    >>>
    >>> Change Icon button
    >>> [[Click to change the icon that represents the folder in all views
    >>> except
    >>> Thumbnails.]]
    >>>
    >>> You can also Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\moricons.dll from the Change
    >>> Icon button.
    >>>
    >>> [[You cannot customize the default icon for a folder in Windows;
    >>> however,
    >>> you can make a shortcut to a folder and change the look of the shortcut
    >>> icon. ]]
    >>> How to Change the Default Icons for Folders in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310192
    >>>
    >>> Some places to download icon files...
    >>>
    >>> Jeff's Icons
    >>> http://www.jeffs-icons.com/
    >>>
    >>> Scrow's Icons
    >>> http://virtualplastic.net/scrow/misc.html
    >>>
    >>> Ur I.T. Mate Group Freeware Library Icon Library
    >>> http://www.it-mate.co.uk/icons/
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:B41EBD07-D8FD-42EA-B817-ED420B74DC4A@microsoft.com,
    >>> ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Mike, it looks like downstate PA because I'm using Suscom. They took over my
    local Cable company, which was RNN.

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Wes
    >
    > Tracking the IP#, it looks like downstate Pa.. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
    > it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    > > You betcha, Ilene. Keep having fun. :-)
    > >
    > > Upstate, where?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >
    > > Wes
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > In news:3B014B55-F811-4553-B738-35B9D6D9A65B@microsoft.com,
    > > ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > >> Thanks. It worked. I appreciate your help.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I had a feeling that you did not live even close to where the IP #
    suggested.. most who use the term 'upstate' live in the upper reaches of NY
    State, and definitely not close to the southern edge of Pa..

    --

    > Mike, it looks like downstate PA because I'm using Suscom. They took over
    > my
    > local Cable company, which was RNN.
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> Tracking the IP#, it looks like downstate Pa.. :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have
    >> kept
    >> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    >> > You betcha, Ilene. Keep having fun. :-)
    >> >
    >> > Upstate, where?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> >
    >> > Wes
    >> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> >
    >> > In news:3B014B55-F811-4553-B738-35B9D6D9A65B@microsoft.com,
    >> > ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    >> > pecked:

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In news:ecmDhv0dFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:

    > I had a feeling that you did not live even close to where the
    > IP #
    > suggested.. most who use the term 'upstate' live in the upper
    > reaches
    > of NY State, and definitely not close to the southern edge of
    > Pa..

    Many people who live in New York City, call any part New York
    State north of the city "upstate." To them, even Westchester
    County is "Upstate," although it's in the southernmost 10% or so
    of the state.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    The only New Yorkers who call Westchester "upstate" are the ones who live in
    Queens or Long Island

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:ecmDhv0dFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:
    >
    > > I had a feeling that you did not live even close to where the
    > > IP #
    > > suggested.. most who use the term 'upstate' live in the upper
    > > reaches
    > > of NY State, and definitely not close to the southern edge of
    > > Pa..
    >

    > Many people who live in New York City, call any part New York
    > State north of the city "upstate." To them, even Westchester
    > County is "Upstate," although it's in the southernmost 10% or so
    > of the state.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In news:1142D68B-9CF4-4CCC-848B-2320C8ADB893@microsoft.com,
    ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > The only New Yorkers who call Westchester "upstate" are the
    > ones who
    > live in Queens or Long Island

    That may be your experience. It isn't mine. The ones I know all
    live in Manhattan, and there are a fair number of them.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:ecmDhv0dFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:
    >>
    >>> I had a feeling that you did not live even close to where the
    >>> IP #
    >>> suggested.. most who use the term 'upstate' live in the upper
    >>> reaches
    >>> of NY State, and definitely not close to the southern edge of
    >>> Pa..
    >>

    >> Many people who live in New York City, call any part New York
    >> State north of the city "upstate." To them, even Westchester
    >> County is "Upstate," although it's in the southernmost 10% or
    >> so
    >> of the state.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Ken

    An interesting use of 'up', eh.. were a Canadian to say to me that they
    lived in up-province Ontario, I would not consider Brantford, Simcoe or
    Hamilton first.. I would be thinking Sudbury, Thunder Bay or Timmins (home
    of Shania)..

    --

    > In news:ecmDhv0dFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:
    >
    >> I had a feeling that you did not live even close to where the IP #
    >> suggested.. most who use the term 'upstate' live in the upper reaches
    >> of NY State, and definitely not close to the southern edge of Pa..
    >

    > Many people who live in New York City, call any part New York State north
    > of the city "upstate." To them, even Westchester County is "Upstate,"
    > although it's in the southernmost 10% or so of the state.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In news:OINxBK2dFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:

    > An interesting use of 'up', eh..

    Yup! I'm an ex-New Yorker, and I never used the term "upstate"
    that way. I have friends living in Manhattan who have a summer
    home in what they call "upstate." I've pointed out to them that
    their home is roughly 300 miles south of the Downstate Medical
    Center, but it does no good.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > were a Canadian to say to me that
    > they lived in up-province Ontario, I would not consider
    > Brantford,
    > Simcoe or Hamilton first.. I would be thinking Sudbury, Thunder
    > Bay
    > or Timmins (home of Shania)..

    >> In news:ecmDhv0dFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:
    >>
    >>> I had a feeling that you did not live even close to where the
    >>> IP #
    >>> suggested.. most who use the term 'upstate' live in the upper
    >>> reaches of NY State, and definitely not close to the southern
    >>> edge
    >>> of Pa..
    >>

    >> Many people who live in New York City, call any part New York
    >> State
    >> north of the city "upstate." To them, even Westchester County
    >> is
    >> "Upstate," although it's in the southernmost 10% or so of the
    >> state.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I've been a N'Yawka all my life, originally from Brooklyn. "Upstate" is used
    in the NYC area to denote any place in New York that is not in NYC itself or
    on Long Island. "The City", however, refers to Manhattan, ie: "I'm going
    into The City.", commonly used by the denizensof the other four boroughs, as
    well as Long Island and Westchester.

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:OINxBK2dFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:
    >
    > > An interesting use of 'up', eh..
    >

    > Yup! I'm an ex-New Yorker, and I never used the term "upstate"
    > that way. I have friends living in Manhattan who have a summer
    > home in what they call "upstate." I've pointed out to them that
    > their home is roughly 300 miles south of the Downstate Medical
    > Center, but it does no good.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    > > were a Canadian to say to me that
    > > they lived in up-province Ontario, I would not consider
    > > Brantford,
    > > Simcoe or Hamilton first.. I would be thinking Sudbury, Thunder
    > > Bay
    > > or Timmins (home of Shania)..
    > >

    > > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    > >> In news:ecmDhv0dFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > >> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> typed:

    > >> Many people who live in New York City, call any part New York
    > >> State
    > >> north of the city "upstate." To them, even Westchester County
    > >> is
    > >> "Upstate," although it's in the southernmost 10% or so of the
    > >> state.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the newsgroup

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I sold books door to door about a hundred years ago in Utica, NY.

    How's that for upstate? :-D

    Also flew in and out of Binghamton, NY while working in Wyalusing, PA. In
    the Endless Mountains along Wyalusing creek and the Susquehanna River.
    Pretty country.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5C419085-A7D8-4C32-A874-8346D2721662@microsoft.com,
    ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Carmel, NY
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> You betcha, Ilene. Keep having fun. :-)
    >>
    >> Upstate, where?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:3B014B55-F811-4553-B738-35B9D6D9A65B@microsoft.com,
    >> ileneupstate <ileneupstate@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Thanks. It worked. I appreciate your help.

Configuration Microsoft Customization Icons Windows XP