Simple Fan question

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask the community a quick question before I invested too much time into a situation. I have a cooling fan on the front of my case that is lit up with LEDs but doesn't spin. I replaced the fan that was there before because it had no power what so ever. I upgraded my motherboard in a non related issue but like i said, replaced the old fan and bought a new one to fix my problem. Was wondering if someone could make a troubleshooting list of the best way i could run down in order to see what i could do to fix my fan. Thanks guys!

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
To a four pin that goes into the motherboard. I dont have a voltage meter at my new house and was wondering if theres anything I should try before buying a new one. Its only $4 fan and I doubt is my mobo. I can try so see if there's another four pin spot open on my mobo just in case theres something weird going on with the one its in now. Anything else you would suggest?

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
What is the fan pluged into? motherboard or power supply. If it is connected to the motherboard is there another header you can access? Otherwise if it is connected to a power supply just try a different molex connector. If that does not fix the problem, br sure that nothing is keeping the fan from spinning. Also if you have a digitlal volt meter you can back probe the connector to see if you have at least 7 volts D.C.

Connect it to the CPU fan header for a few seconds and you'll know if it works or not.

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
In the middle of a bios update right now. Ill check those settings in a sec, if that doesn't work then ill open up the case tomorrow morning and try connecting it to the cpu fan spot.