Sign in with
Your question

Question about Power Supply

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2013 11:08:45 PM

Hello, im new with computers. i would like to ask if a modular power supply is also true rated?..thanks

More about : question power supply

a c 301 ) Power supply
January 3, 2013 11:17:41 PM

dchadz said:
Hello, im new with computers. i would like to ask if a modular power supply is also true rated?..thanks

Hi -modularity or lack thereof has nothing to do with rating.
I assume you are referring to a PSU's technical specs.
If that's the case, then a quality lab review will give
an accurate rating of it's specs.

Many PSU brands exaggerate or outright lie abot
their unit's specs, so lab tests and brand reputation
are the true measures.

Tom
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 12:39:26 AM

What Tom says.

The first white lie on some units is the power rating vs the actual power it can deliver on +12V vs 3.3V and 5V. Since the processor and graphics run at +12V, you want the most of that rated power to be on the +12V. The second true lie on shady units is that they can't deliver that power on the 12V that they advertise - they are counting on you never to draw that much power.

What modularity is good for is aiding the management of cables. Often you don;t need all of the cables/connectors that a PSU can provide. For non-modular cables, you have to tuck the unused cables somewhere in your case and it can be quite a mess. With modular you just plug the cables you need into the supply.

A few good review sites are HardwareSecrets, JohnnyGuru, and Kit Guru. They will also provide you with some tutorials on PSU.

There are also a few review databases like

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm
m
l
!