Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unsupported CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2013 11:20:33 PM

I have an hp p6604y desktop and I wanted to replace the old processor. I looked on the hp specs at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
and it said under processor upgrade information, it supports an AMD Phenom II X4 processor, so I decided to get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor.
When I got it, it fit fine as it should, but all I got was a message saying-
"Unsupported CPU detected, powering down". Now what? I went to the hp website, but there is no BIOS upgrade or whatever, even though my current BIOS is: American Megatrends Inc. 6.02 7/21/2010. I checked-
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=...
But there is no BIOS category as there would be if there was an update. Is there some way to make this work, or did I just waste a bunch of money? Please help! :( 

More about : unsupported cpu

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 3, 2013 11:42:48 PM

Hi. This might explain why it didn't work. Under Processor upgrade information from the first link: "Max TDP: 95W" Your Phenom II X4 965 is 125W.
January 4, 2013 12:17:21 AM

So I cant use this processor?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 12:35:39 AM

That looks to be the case. I don't know if you can replace the motherboard. Or maybe you can keep it for a new build?
m
l
January 4, 2013 12:42:33 AM

I guess I can replace the motherboard, but I have no idea how to approach buying a new one. :??: 
m
l
January 4, 2013 12:51:46 AM

one MAYBE possible option, will it get as far as bios? do you have a per core unlocking mo bo? if you answered both of those yes go to cpu cfg. and lock one of the cores which will (i think) bring you down to 95w limit
this is just an idea, i do not know if it would work (it should logically but if im talking shite plz some one correct me)
also
buying a mo bo is no harder than buying your cpu was but now you know what you have and what you need, i suggest you look at the asrock extreme 3/4 boards both support your cpu and both offer an upgrade path to the current crop of up to 8 core amd chip (im after one myself)
the 3 should be around 60 and the 4 85 (£)
m
l
January 4, 2013 1:11:10 AM

Everytime I turn on the computer with the new CPU it just says it is unsupported and shuts down so I don't think I could do that.
I guess I can look into a new motherboard too, but all the asrock ones seem to be intel.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 1:20:34 AM

It's not the power draw itself that causes the problem. The bios must be programmed to reject the CPU. I was thinking a lack of dual plane power, but it does list thuban support.

As for the board, there are plenty of micro ATX boards out there. Get socket AM3+.
m
l
January 4, 2013 2:17:53 AM

Alright, I'll see what I can find, but I still really would like to know, has there really been no bios update from hp since 2010? Does hp usually do this or is there something I am missing?
m
l
a c 192 à CPUs
a b α HP
January 4, 2013 2:35:34 AM

hp and dell have there mb custom made at company like foxcon or have vendor like asus make them a custom mb with there own bios info. you can and it might not work try sending an email to hp and see if there a beta bios or an update then have for that mb and cpu combo.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 3:37:20 AM

Legault said:
Alright, I'll see what I can find, but I still really would like to know, has there really been no bios update from hp since 2010? Does hp usually do this or is there something I am missing?

What were you expecting? This isn't a DIY board. They don't update the bios cpu code for users. If they do it, its because they want to use the same board in a different system. There is a reason those things can be had for $300. The quality is cheap.

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 3:40:06 AM

smorizio said:
hp and dell have there mb custom made at company like foxcon or have vendor like asus make them a custom mb with there own bios info. you can and it might not work try sending an email to hp and see if there a beta bios or an update then have for that mb and cpu combo.

Its a 95 watt board. No bios update will change that. This would be a waste of time. The OP either needs to get a 95w part or a board that will support his chip.
m
l
January 4, 2013 3:44:09 PM

Best answer selected by Legault.
m
l
!