Choosing a digital

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 7, 2005 7:47:52 PM

Hi folks, I'm a newbie...try to be kind. I am looking for a recommendation
or two...or places to look for info for a digital purchase.

I have an inexpensive Olympus which does some things, but weak flash and low
print quality have me interested in something slightly better.

I don't have the expertise for a truly professional dslr, but want something
better than a standard point and shoot with lesser optics. I'd really like
something in the middle and hence my dilemma simply due to the huge number
of cameras to choose from.

I am hoping to find a starting point within this group. Several years ago
in a 35mm thread I got fabulous information which led me to purchase my
Ricoh GR1, which I really love - but digital has a lot of advantages. I
know Ricoh is introducing it's GR Digital this month, but I doubt I afford
that piece of equipment and never buy anything that new anyway.

So, to summarize...looking for some base recommendations on sldr equipment -
a notch or two above point and shoot with better optics but without going to
a professional sldr which would be wasted on me. I only just piddle with
this, find it pleasurable and will take pictures of everything from my kids
and friends to the mourning dove nesting in my hanging planter to the horses
playing in the field across from my house.

I want quality enough to be able to print and I know I am looking for a 4MP
camera. But the pixels won't help if the lens isn't quality, and I would
like a quality piece of equipment.

Thanks for reading.

More about : choosing digital

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 8:01:50 PM

You do know about places like www.dpreview.com? Lots of information.

If I knew more about your special needs, it would be easier to make a
recommendation. I currently use two DSLRs (300D and 20D) and a Panasonic
FZ5 (which might work well for you too).
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:23:22 AM

> So, to summarize...looking for some base recommendations on sldr
> equipment - a notch or two above point and shoot with better optics but
> without going to a professional sldr which would be wasted on me. I only
> just piddle with this, find it pleasurable and will take pictures of
> everything from my kids and friends to the mourning dove nesting in my
> hanging planter to the horses playing in the field across from my house.
>
> I want quality enough to be able to print and I know I am looking for a
> 4MP camera. But the pixels won't help if the lens isn't quality, and I
> would like a quality piece of equipment.

You might consider a second hand Canon G5. Excellent optics and plenty of
facilities. It suffers from the same shutter delay as all compacts so the
prancing horses may be a challenge but at least with digital you get several
hundred chances.

Mine produces superb 8x10 prints.

John
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:49:34 PM

<campthomson@triton.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks, I'm a newbie...try to be kind. I am looking for a
> recommendation or two...or places to look for info for a digital purchase.
>
> I have an inexpensive Olympus which does some things, but weak flash and
> low print quality have me interested in something slightly better.
>
> I don't have the expertise for a truly professional dslr, but want
> something better than a standard point and shoot with lesser optics. I'd
> really like something in the middle and hence my dilemma simply due to the
> huge number of cameras to choose from.
>
> I am hoping to find a starting point within this group. Several years ago
> in a 35mm thread I got fabulous information which led me to purchase my
> Ricoh GR1, which I really love - but digital has a lot of advantages. I
> know Ricoh is introducing it's GR Digital this month, but I doubt I afford
> that piece of equipment and never buy anything that new anyway.
>
> So, to summarize...looking for some base recommendations on sldr
> equipment - a notch or two above point and shoot with better optics but
> without going to a professional sldr which would be wasted on me. I only
> just piddle with this, find it pleasurable and will take pictures of
> everything from my kids and friends to the mourning dove nesting in my
> hanging planter to the horses playing in the field across from my house.
>
> I want quality enough to be able to print and I know I am looking for a
> 4MP camera. But the pixels won't help if the lens isn't quality, and I
> would like a quality piece of equipment.
>
> Thanks for reading.

Have a look at the Canon Powershot S70 - it's small, compact & has lots and
lots of manual options (you can use it as a point & shoot when you need to)

Should cost around £300 - but shop around as some retailers try it on with
this model. The high street will try to fleece you for closer to £500! The
internet is the best place to buy.

Takes compact flash memory cards - you will need a 1 or 2GB as the photo's
are 7 mp each.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s70.html

**SS**
!