Tv monitor vs computer monitor which is better?

utachan

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I have a great analog pc monitor and thought I should purchase a better monitor.
Though it still works great no funky colors ...the only problem is I can't play full screen mode but usually play window mode adjusted to the size of my screen so it doesn't really matter.

ANYWAY I have HD graphic card and analog monitor=fail.

My pc specs are:
cpu:AMD phenom 2 x2 555
gpu:Radeon HD 5770 1gb memory
my pc has 3gb memory.

I want to know which pc monitor or TV monitor would b best for gaming.

I dunno which 1 is better (tv or pc) since there is resolution in matter and refresh rate and I need it to support my graphic card fully.
Dunno if tv monitor can use it.

I need it for heavy games as heavy as they can get with latest directX .

PS:if a tv monitor is good enough for heavy games I'd love it since I would really want to connect my ps2 to my computer @.@

UAhmed

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I think pc lcd or led monitors are good because their response time is very less which makes text reading very easy, as the picture becomes sharp while on tv text reading is difficult. Here check this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/61029-3-monitor
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647457

If u want to connect ur ps2 too then i guess u should go with a tv.
I'd go for a pc monitor though, bcz its response time is much less than TVs.

any TV or monitor with DVI or HDMI will work. I'd get a monitor but that's me.

FYI in case you are unaware that dual core CPU of yours had really good odds of unlocking to a quad core. there should be a switch in the BIOS if you have an AMD chipset

Hello

DirectX support comes from your graphics card and OS, not the monitor so you can choose either a TV or a PC Monitor, there are a few drawbacks with using a TV though, they tend to have quite high input lag/response time which may not be a problem for you if you don't play competitively, I also find that reading text is more differcult on a TV as it isn't as sharp.

A good gaming monitor will have low response time (<2ms), no ghosting and will obviously have a good image (Clear/sharp).

Ray Charles

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
In Essence based on popular opinion as well as a reasonable amount of research it seems like TV monitors and PC monitors are quite similar with each being slightly better for its intended purpose this might be simply because they utilize similar or the same resolution (1920 x 1080) and are made from 'similar' parts if not the same in some cases(panels, backlight etc.). TV monitors do broadcast television and movies marginally better because it usually enhances image quality (processing by built-in scalers) especially when its is poor (less than 1080p) and pc monitors have a slight advantage in terms of response time (due to less processing by scalers) and close range viewing (on native resolution). But these differences are usually negligible as both type of monitors a have variations and settings that attempt to eliminate these potential weaknesses depending on the brand (TVs' with gaming mode and PC displays with TV or Movie modes). My advice try to observe their differences by comparing them in a store (reality should be the decider) before purchase or google a lot more!

NB: Pc monitors with resolutions above 1080p like 1920 x 1200, 2560 x 1440 and 2560 x 1600 are generally in its own class (higher obviously) and their prices reflect this!

utachan

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Thank you for all your answers!

It's a little bit disappointing though since I won't forgive myself if I buy something that isn't the best for my needs but yet again dunno how MUCH response time matters though, it may matter, it's not like I play simulators or anything but I do play shooting games (like resident evil) and some action based rpgs.
If response time lacks even the slightest it will disturb me.

It is disappointing because I was hoping to get a screen that could support my ps2 since my tv there is simply horrible >.< but I'd rather leave it as it is and get a good screen for my pc needs than sacrificing my pc gaming in order to support a console.

I hardly believe I can test it in the shop since tv screens are to demonstrate tv thus won't b connected to a computer demonstrating a game (and they are usually bad quality I dun get why they can never tune it right maybe some excuse to say this tv is better than what u see :S) and computer monitors are for computers usually showing screen savers rather than games ...the only ones they may use to cross it are the tv-pc combined which I dun dare getting near it.
It sounds more like a new sale idea to get more money rather than something really useful.
But then again they won't connect it to a heavy game where u could see the response time because they don't have there good demonstrating pcs.

mm at any rate I don't think the response time could possibly be slower than my current analog monitor :S I have it for years

just throwing this out here. my 1920x1200 Asus 2ms gtg monitor was $250 2 years ago. it has HDMI, DVI,VGA, composite, and component. I can't seem to find anything like that now. don't know why prices are so rediculous now. but you might be able to find a monitor with an input that will work with the ps2. didn't see anything reasonable on newegg thougj

SnotNoseKid

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Count your cash, pick a size, choose your HZ [60HZ is fine if your not planning on 3D] and buy what you want. You will have to stick to the high end if you plan on doing 2K or 4K.

utachan

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I will have to do my research now to see what's in store and prices comparison.
In general I am not movies fan the only reason I consider tv is for the console.

Thanks for the replies :3

Ray Charles

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008

TVs are actually better for console games with resolutions less than 1080p (models with an effective gaming mode) but for most first person shooters the monitor is marginally better.