Windicator

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Just want to thank you in the beginning for your interest in this build and for any help or pointers you can give me to help with my PC building.

Approximate Purchase Date: End of August - Start of September

Budget Range: $1500 for the PC itself (this is pretty lenient and I'm a big bang-for-buck kind of guy so if its worth the investment, i'll go for it) and $150-$200 for the monitor

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming is my life. Watching videos. Surfing the web. Listening to music

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Starting from scratch so nothing to upgrade from :'(

Do you need to buy OS: No cuz I'm a pirate. Arrrrr.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg and NCIX are the two most common ones I guess and as long as they ship to Toronto, it's fine.

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Parts Preferences: As long as it's worth it and it doesn't blow up my soon-to-be computer i'm cool with it.

Overclocking: Yes, but only light overclocking because I'm a mega noob when it comes to this kind of stuff

SLI or Crossfire: Probably won't fit in the mATX case and not that interested.

Your Monitor Resolution: Looking for a 1920x1080 22"-24" monitor

Additional Comments: This will be my gaming computer for university so it's going to need a wireless adapter and it has to be relatively portable since I'll be leaving it at my friend's house during breaks so it's going to be moved around quite a bit, hence the mATX size. Not planning on upgrading much though so hopefully it can last for 2-3 years. Oh and I won't need a mouse and keyboard.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I won't have a computer for university and as I said above, gaming is my life.

I already had some parts in mind, but they're completely flexible so here goes

CPU: i5-3570k
MOBO: Didn't look into it much so hoping you guys can help :)
RAM: I've been using 8GB for my previous computer and was hoping to go for 16GB this time :)
SSD: Looking for something around 120GB to make games launch quicker and all, but might go for 240GB if I got some spare cash
HDD: 1 or 2 TB just to store movies and games and stuff but majority of my files are already in an external hard drive so i can save up in this section.
PSU: Not too sure as well, 500-600W or something like that? No need for overkill since I probably won't be upgrading much.
GPU: Leaning towards the GTX 670 but still considering the 7970 since the prices are only 20-30 dollars apart
DVD: No need for blu-ray and all that jazz, just a simple CD/DVD drive that's not absolute crap should be good.
Case: An mATX case that's relatively portable and as long as it doesn't look like a trash can I'm fine with it. Bonus points if it's slick, black, and shiny :)
Cooling: I really don't know all that much about cooling and I'll have a friend helping me with all the building and stuff so any pointers here would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thanks for everything (especially for reading through that mountain of text) and I look forward to your help and pointers. Cheers.