Sign in with
Your question
Solved

H61 Chipset, Upgrading from Sandy to Ivy Bridge CPU and BIOS upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2013 1:35:11 AM

I have a simple question:

I ordered a i5 2500k to replace my i5 2310 from an ebay store, and they sent me an i5 3570k instead. I do not know why, but I am not complaining.
Now i've looked up my mainboard (MSI H61M-P21 (MS-7680) which is a H61 Chipset, which according my research is capable of running an ivy bridge cpu with a BIOS upgrade.
My question is, do I update my bios before or after I install the CPU? As far as I know, I think I should update the BIOS, install the chip, then flash the BIOS again. Is this correct?

More about : h61 chipset upgrading sandy ivy bridge cpu bios upgrade

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 1:39:04 AM

you have to do it before you upgrade your CPU

All you need to do is update the bios to the lastest version with your old cpu in , then install the new CPU and your done
you do not need to do a bios update again after the cpu change
January 4, 2013 1:40:29 AM

Best answer selected by FeeTFooD.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 1:40:29 AM

Thankyou very much sir!
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
January 4, 2013 1:47:46 AM

Assuming there is a BIOS upgrade for the MSI mobo, then you need to upgrade the BIOS with a Sandy Bridge CPU, and then install the Ivy Bridge CPU. However, you have a problem... you do not have a Sandy Bridge CPU to upgrade the BIOS with which ultimately means you cannot use the Ivy Bridge CPU.

You may be lucky... the motherboard might already have the correct BIOS. Might. You can try and install the IB CPU, but I really doubt it will work.

The best thing to do is return the MSI mobo and buy a H77 chipset motherboard. However, since you have a "k" model CPU, it is unlocked and ready for overclocking. But you need either the Z75 or Z77 chipset motherboard in order to overclock.
m
l
January 4, 2013 2:31:23 AM

I have a sandy bridge chip, I stated in my OP that I have an i5 2310. my H61 chipset can run an Ivy Bridge if I update the BIOS. Which I have just done.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
January 4, 2013 2:41:31 AM

Sorry, I guess i just glossed over that section.
m
l
May 26, 2013 9:45:01 AM

Jeez, I'm having the same problem. So, I need to get a Sandy Bridge processor to make my new motherboard work with my new ivy bridge CPU, yes?

Stupid me trying to save money.
m
l
!