DirectX 10, should be 11

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Hello,

I have a GTX 560. We all know that is a DX11 GPU, but when I check in properties it says that the current version of DX is 10. I want to ask, is it even possible to downgrade to DX10 on a GPU that is stock DX11? If so, how do I change it back to DX11? Or is there just something wrong with windows' experience index? GPU-Z shows that the card has full DirectX 11 support as well as SM5.0 (whatever that is) but I don't know which one to trust.

Thanks in advance.

iinlane

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
DX11 GPU has backward compatibility of DX10, DX9, DX8, etc. You might need to install DX11 on your system.

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Dx11 fixed all the problems Dx10 had, and like the person above me said Dx11 cards are backwards compatible!

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Like he said also DX11 is kinda a waste IMO. Its really intense on your GPU and barely boost your graphix. For real you need to take a screenshot to see the minor graphic improvement but you'll loose several FPS.

With a 560 I wouldn't be using DX11 on anything. If you have to lower your graphic setting in order to enable DX11, its does not worth it.

iinlane

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

Check your facts man. DX11 is both faster and has noticeable improvement in image quality. I'm currently installing CIV5, which uses dx11 tesseleration to improve performance.

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Well in Crysis 2 the difference between Dx9 and Dx11 is minimal and the performance in Dx9 is a lot better.

I get 80+ fps in dx9 and in Dx11 I have a hard time keeping my fps at 60 most of the time, So Dx11 takes a big hit on performance !!

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012

Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. Forgot about that, sorry :D So how do I install DX11? My card can handle pretty much anything for now so I won't need to turn down any graphic settings. Maybe in BF3, but I don't play that.

Also, when I install new games they all install their required version of DX. And I can't cancel it :/

You don't need to install it on W7 which was why I asked, if you were on vista you would need to.

How are you checking it ? Are you using DXDIAG in the search box ? If not do so. click on the start button type DXDIAG into the search box and click on the round blue icon with a yellow cross that appears. that will tell you what's what.

Mactronix :) Edit for spelling

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Don't misslead poeple with false fact.

DX9 is a way faster then DX11 and the graphix improvement of DX11 require screenshot comparason to see the difference. Maybe it worth it on slow games. But you won't notice it while playing BF3 and it is a game that heavely use DX11 features.

I enable it in games because I have the power. But I wouldn't upgrade my PC in order to be able to use it. The difference is so minor while gaming fast action games and many many game don't even make use of the DX11 feature since they require a lot of work for a minor improvement.

Running with 4AA will yeld a bether graphix quality improvement over running DX11.

If DX11 was so powerfull, Nvidia wouldn,t had paid ton of dollars to see company making patch that use it.

mubin

Distinguished

Why you dont need to install dx11 in win7? Win 7 need to install dx11. Without latest directx update it will remain dx10. I get directx 11 after install latest update.

To OP, you need to dx11.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17431
It may help. In some directx 11 game, there will be option to install directx 11. You can use it.

From DirectX Diagnostic Tool, select Display tab and check DDI Version if it is 11. Type dxdiag in startmenu search box.

You don't need to install it because W7 is natively DX11 its part of the OS.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/directx-11

Mactronix :)

Don't worry about it these things happen. At least you are sorted now.

Sometimes you can get false readings.

iinlane

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

Obviously you don't have the slightest clue of what DX11 is. It is an API, an interface to hardware. Only Direct3D, a subset of DirectX, is used for graphics. I have used the API, so I know what I'm talking about.

You can make make identical-looking games with DX9 and DX11 and the DX11 is way faster. The reason why many games are faster in DX9 mode is that the game developers maintain this low quality code path for low performance computers and only implement the high-end features on DX11 code path. It is true that the high-end features push the graphics to diminishing returns but it means just that - those features are slower, not DX11 API.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Sorry to hear your close mindedness :pfff:

Currently running beta driver for my 670s, fixed a few crap issues that had plagued the cards.

Thats why I love betas.

People who don't understand what they are doing probably shouldn't try beta drivers. beta means they are not certified to work properly so some bugs are to be expected. Unless you are ok with messing around with some settings its best to stick with certified drivers.
Not that that guarantees smooth operation either of course. Just less chance of issues.