PowerColor PCS+ HD7870 2GB GDDR5 (Vortex II Edition) Game issues

anuragtopno

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Recently i won PowerColor PCS+ HD7870 2GB GDDR5 (Vortex II Edition) from TPU-GPUZ competition and when i ran bf3 and all the latest game slike max payne 3,ghost recon future soldier the game hangs after some time and and screen goes black and system gets stuck and i've to restart using the reset button as nothing works...donno why this happens.my latest driver version is amd catalyst 12.6.power supply is o.k but it is not running games... :(. please..........Help!.

anuragtopno

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
i tried the older version of the drivers from the cd provided with the card, just one card only no CFX
my PSU is Cooler MAster Extreme Power pLus 600W
i didn't run the cinebench OpenGL test,is that necessary.
my old sapphire 6850 2gb ran game without hassles in single card as well as in CFX.

redeemer

Distinguished
so this problem only appears when gaming and benchmarking? Is the power PCIe connectors connected to the card? Disable any onboard video from the bios. Make sure to seat you card in the top 16x PCIe slot. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest catalyst software from AMD's website.

If all the above does not work your PSU or card maybe the culprit. Test your card in another system

anuragtopno

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
yes this problem comes only when running games...i think the card is faulty as my older card is running the same latest games in full ultra settings,and why this 7 series card is not running..will check in another pc but i think the card is faulty..btw thanks for the reply.

6850 uses less power than 7870.
also try catalyst 12.7 beta.

hmmm...
if the psu indeed ran 6850s in cfx, then it should be able to run a 7870. i am worried if the cfx put too much load on the psu...
anyway, if the card runs fine on another pc (with a psu like cx 500/600 v2), then the psu might be the source.
if the card behaves the same on another pc, then the card/driver might be the source. i dunno if tpu would give away a faulty card...
i suspected the psu because it seemed like the pc would crash only during an intense task like gaming (fine otherwise) - which led me to believe that the psu was not able to support the gfx card during load.

nicholasmg77

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Hello, I am wondering if when your pc hangs and goes black, does it make a wierd noise when it does that. I have the same problems when playing games, although I have a sapphire 7870.

anuragtopno

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
My friend though i got screwed...i have contacted the tech support team in taiwan and they get the product replaced as i've applied for RMA.and soon will get a new card.