Sign in with
Your question

What Programs make use of a GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2012 3:28:16 PM

I'm curious to know what other programs aside from games make us of a GPU?

I ask because i've noticed my EVGA GTX 570 going-up in temp around 51-53 degrees when i'm watching videos. is that normal? i'm still quite a "noob" when it comes to graphics cards so yeah its kinda silly to ask :na: 

Of course when i'm absolutely doing nothing it does go back down to its idle temp of 42-44 degrees so i'm guessing videos or even maybe flash based games/programs make use of a GPU?

Thanks!

More about : programs make gpu

Anonymous
July 1, 2012 3:30:39 PM

Everything on the screen is processed mostly by the GPU. If your GPU runs out of memory, it takes the workload to the CPU.
m
l
July 1, 2012 3:37:50 PM

So it is normal for the GPU to go up in temp when i'm watching videos? well videos via a player since it doesnt seem to go up when i'm watching in youtube lol.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 1, 2012 3:42:35 PM

Its completely normal for it to heat, rev up, whatever it needs to access more power. It shouldn't go tremendously high though.
m
l
July 1, 2012 3:50:50 PM

yeah it doest go over 55 degrees and only around 59-68 when i'm playing games like skyrim or dota 2. But the card to heat/rev up doesn't indicate it lacks power does it? I am using a Cougar CMX 700w + a AVR with surge suppressor.

But anyway thanks for that insightful bit of info its much appreciated :) 
m
l
Anonymous
July 1, 2012 3:56:29 PM

It doesn't lack power, it was just getting more because the card is smart enough not to run at full blast 100% of the time, and it gets more since you are starting to do more GPU heavy things.
m
l
July 1, 2012 4:07:40 PM

I see, well then thanks again for explaining. i may be tad paranoid but i like to know things that happen with my PC hehe

Cheers!
m
l
!