DADS OFFICE PC

ZZao

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Hello, I would just like some feedback on my selection of components for my dad's office PC i am going to build. I know some of the components are an overkill but he has money to burn.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced USB3.0

Intel Core i5 3570K

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

CoolerMaster GX 750W PSU

Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD

Corsair Hydro Series H80 CPU Cooler

These aren't all the components just the ones i would like feedback on, thanks.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

What type of work will your dad be doing?

My 2cents:
1-Swap the i5 for the i7 3770k (i7 will perform better when multi-tasking and general "business use")
2-You don't need the 750w PSU, get a Corsair/Seasonic 450-500w will be fine even with a mid range graphics card.
3-The H80 can be loud, maybe look at a high end air cooler that will run almost silent, something like the D14
4-Add a mid range graphics card if your dad wants multi monitors or want to do video / photo editing (or play games at work :p )

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
If this is really for your dad's business, then he should buy a system from Dell Lenovo, HP etc etc.
He can then get an system receipt for which he won't have as much stress lining up and explaining paperwork for tax purposes.

That being said, yea your system is overkill and completely waste, but the one thing that I think is an actual negative is you really should consider is not having a liquid cooler unless you're a computer enthusiast who takes the time to maintain and baby it.
If he is using this for regular non-computational office work, the thing that will help the most is getting him monitor(s) at least one 24" or dual monitors, which you didn't mention at all.

Case is good
CPU is overkill if its just a productivity machine. If gaming or some intensive tasks are involved, keep it.
No reason for the Extreme6 over the Extreme4 (or at-least none that will be taken advantage of). You could maybe get a cheap H77 and it will be just fine.
RAM's good.
Coolermaster PSU are a no, and 750W is pointless as the build doesnt even have a GPU. A 500-600W PSU from a good brand will be enough and allow for a good video card.
SSD is decent, I recommend the OCZ Vertex 4 over that one.
No HDD?
No need for water-cooling, chances are your dad doesn't care how hot it is as long as it isn't loud. Just get a Hyper 212 EVO, that will be plenty sufficient.

For productivity usage, more monitors is where you should sink money into, not hardware. I have three monitors (All of differing sizes and resolution unfortunately, cant game across them), and it is very useful if I have to do a lot of work. Just recently I was video editing, and having the panels spread among screens just made it so much easier to use, now that the timeline, effects and resource bars weren't all crammed in together and having to scroll to get to anything.

You've built your father 80% of a gaming rig when he should be getting something that's designed for business. Go through Dell or HP's business departments instead. That way if something goes wrong they'll have it fixed within 24-48 hours rather than the 6-8 weeks it takes for a consumer RMA to be processed.