Sign in with
Your question

Checking a processor without a heat sink and fan

Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2013 2:53:32 AM

Hello,

I got a Q6600 processor recently but didn't have any thermal paste or fan (as they were to arrive later). So I installed my processor into my computer and plugged everything in. I put my hand on top of my processor to see how hot it would get.

I switched it on and as soon as I could see the bios, I instantly switch it off, at the same time, during those couple of seconds my hand jolted away. From the processor as an instinct of saying how hot it was in just those mere seconds.

After that, I am DEFINITELY not going to turn on my computer again without proper cooling gear. But my question is, could I have sent my Q6600 to processor Heaven? I only had kept it on without the heat sink and fan for about 7 seconds, while at the same time producing ALOT of heat.

Will my processor be fine after this when I actually build my computer again but with a fan and thermal compound?
January 4, 2013 3:00:51 AM

It should be fine. Modern processors have a feature that shuts them down automatically if they get too hot, to keep them from melting. That particular processor generates a relatively high amount of heat, so it shut down pretty quickly.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 3:07:20 AM

It is fine.why you want to install cpu without heatsink.cpu cannot be started without heatsink fan.buy a new heatsink for your cpu.
Related resources
January 4, 2013 3:07:52 AM

No, I meant that I turned my computer off manually after seeing the bios screen (7seconds), plus it was VERY hot (too hot to even touch). Have I melted my processor?
January 4, 2013 3:14:14 AM

No, you haven't melted anything. What feels ridiculously hot to your finger is well within the range of acceptable temps for a cpu. If it didn't shut itself down, that means it didn't get critically hot.
!