Home-Built system BSOD'ing alot recently?

mrteamtactical

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
my home build computer has been BSOD'ing later here is what the most recent one said on the "windows has recovred from an unexpected error" page

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: FFFFF8800A22E638
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000008
BCP4: FFFFF8800A22E638
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\082012-25303-01.dmp
C:\Users\Matthew\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-50201-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

if you want to know my pc has an i5 2500k, 16gb corsair vengance ram, 6870 ice q edition, and motherboard is Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)
this pc is not even half a year old and does not overheat but it may be down to me leaving it on for long periods of time because i need to upload/render youtube videos ovenight.

Any help is good.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
sounds more like your computer is pms'ing :p

seems like this is happening because of drivers dont forget to update all of them off the website and to update your bios and gpu drivers

frivolousme

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Don't laugh but I had this happen to me many times, and finally just opened the case to discover . . . one of the connectors to the motherboard was hanging on by a thread! :pt1cable: Another time I discovered it my foot had bumped the power cord and it was only halfway in (yes well . . .)

Okay, presuming your not as much of a dufus as I am, seriously:
RAM (and memory generally) is notorious for BSOD errors. Also flushing your CMOS is recommended. You'll need to go back to the manual for your motherboard and follow precisely the instructions they give you regarding either your DIMMS or your CMOS.

frivolousme

frivolousme

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
One other thing every PC homebuilder should have in their tool kit is the latest version of Chris Brady's famously beloved MEMTEST
http://www.memtest.org

Small enough to fit on a floppy. Pretty it isn't; bulletproof it is. If you even suspect your DIMMS aren't playing nice with your motherboard, there's one way you can know: Run a thorough panel of MEMTEST and you can at least eliminate one option. I also didn't expand upon where CMOS comes into this but boot errors which originate from CMOS conflicts are frequently the result of (no surprise) corrupted memory.

Yessir, those DIMMS are just one pita after another lol.

fm

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
sorry to hear your having problems with your new build,however being a pc enthusiast for over a decade this has happened to me on several occasions and it never gets any easier especially on a new build
however i allways look at a new build in the same way as a ikea flat pack wardrobe ..... was there any peices i forgot to fit/install and if so which ones... as the earlier answer stated a small problem such as a loose connection can cause bsod and other problems
it can in some case be worth totally removing all components and starting again ... however as soon as you have the core components in( cpu,mobo and ram ) then check for functionality .... everything ok then add the hard drive.. then check again ... and so on
at least this way you can cancel out any problems with components..... even down to standoffs.... and if all seems ok prior to windows installation you can then start to look at drivers and software
even with my latest build ive experienced one bsod... however this was a soundcard issue which was quickly diagnosed and fixed....( left onboard sound enabled in bios .. arghhhh )
are you using the bundled motherboard drivers or have you downloaded them online ? .. theres many people who reckon you should bin the drivers that come bundled with motherboards ( and graphic cards ) ,however sometimes they can be a lifesaver..... granted they may be a few months old ( years in some cases ) but in my experience ive never had problems with bundled motherboard drivers.... at the end of the day they work and are stable.. and most of the time like graphic card updates newer drivers just fix minor problems which generally only affect specific systems
also the magic of windows 7 means many core drivers are installed by default and ive never had any problems with drivers installed during windows installation.....
back to components and the most common offender in new builds is ram .... memtest is all well and good however it will only tell you what you allready know and if your system is stable enough to run it then your stuck
try the above including rebuilding the pc.... and check each component for issues as you go..... and instead of downloading drivers use the bundled drivers or even better use the default windows drivers ( windows vista and 7 )
hope this helps mate ... good luck