No display when monitor is plugged into GPU

Micthalo45

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
First and foremost here are my specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b9VQ

So I'm really nervous right now, I just built my computer yesterday, put all the software in it today and everything has been running beautifully. Skyrim at max settings ran fine, I was super happy and pleased with everything. Than about an hour or two ago I tried to use my headset to talk with my friend over vent but it wasn't working. I couldn't find anyway to get it to work, so I turned off my computer and checked the HD Audio port for the case.

Than when I tried to turn the computer back on, the fans started spinning on the case, on the gpu, and for the cpu cooler, but nothing came up on the monitor display. I tried turning it off and back on a few times, but nothing. Then I switched out the HDMI cable, still nothing. Finally, I tried plugging the monitor into the motherboard hdmi port, and it worked. Than I shut the whole thing off, took out the gpu, put it back in, double-checked the power cables running into the gpu, everything's fine. Now every time I try and turn on my computer when the monitor is plugged into the GPU I get no display. The fan for the GPU turns on and everything, so it's getting power, but I get no display for the monitor.

I have also tried resetting the BIOS (yanked out the mobo battery), uninstalled the drivers, updated my motherboard BIOS, and have tried both PCI-e slots multiple times. When I plug into the onboard video it works fine every time. The funny thing is this morning when I turned on my computer (after leaving my computer off for the night) I had the monitor plugged into the video card and it booted up! So for at least a few minutes this morning, the motherboard and the gpu were communicating. It booted up in windows basic (as if the drivers weren't installed) and when I went into device manager, it listed the 670 as a 'Standard VGA Adapter'. Last night it was reading nothing, and before everything messed up it would read it as the Nvidia GTX 670 that it is.

I then tried restarting to get into the BIOS and see what the motherboard would tell me was in the slot... but than nothing. The computer booted up again but there was no dislpay to the monitor. I shut it down and booted it up with the onboard video and in the BIOS it listed the pci-e slot was empty, and the device manager had nothing as well. So somehow for the first boot this morning, the gpu could connect to the mobo (or something..) but now it's doing the same thing as before.