Sign in with
Your question

Possible future upgrade possibilities?

Last response: in Components
January 4, 2013 3:54:43 AM

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.
I've got a pc currently being built for me, should be arriving in a couple of weeks. It cost just under £2000 and I'm wanting it to last a real long time. I've gone for as top of the range as I can afford at the moment, and just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to keep it running the latest games for years to come.

I'm pretty certain the RAM will be sufficient for a while, as will the processor - I was thinking upgrading to a dual GPU graphics card in the next few years (GTX 690) What do you guys think?

Here are my new specs:
Case COOLERMASTER CM STORM TROOPER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3820 (3.6GHz) 10MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® RAMPAGE IV EXTREME: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS QUAD-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P(4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 90GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB VELOCIRAPTOR WD1000DHTZ, SATA 6-Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (10,000rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling INTEL CERTIFIED LIQUID CPU COOLER FOR SOCKET LG2011 (£78)
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio (£28) *SPECIAL*
Network Facilities WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£16)
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£139)
Monitor IIYAMA G2773HS 27" PRO GAMER, 120Hz LED PANEL, 1MS RESPONSE (£289)

January 4, 2013 4:05:23 AM

Nice build, overkill, I like that. I really won't even consider the 690 as viable at this point seeing as how you can put your 670 in SLI and with a little overclocking, get similar performance for a lot less $$. Your PSU will probably have to be upgraded for an SLI setup although even in SLI, the rig shouldn't pull more than 600W.
My $0.02
January 4, 2013 4:11:59 AM

C12Friedman said:
Nice build, overkill, I like that. I really won't even consider the 690 as viable at this point seeing as how you can put your 670 in SLI and with a little overclocking, get similar performance for a lot less $$. Your PSU will probably have to be upgraded for an SLI setup although even in SLI, the rig shouldn't pull more than 600W.
My $0.02

Haha yeah - I got some PPI money back - so that helped towards making it pretty overkill!

I was thinking about SLI (in a couple of years time though) however, I'm not sure the motherboard would accomodate it with everything else attached (wireless pci-e card & soundblaster pci-e) so thought the best viable option would be to keep it single (non SLI) but beastly!
Related resources
January 4, 2013 4:20:49 AM

That's one of the cool things about the X79 chipset - gives you full 16X bandwidth on two PCIe lanes - kind of a waste not to consider using that feature later IMO
January 4, 2013 4:25:37 AM

C12Friedman said:
That's one of the cool things about the X79 chipset - gives you full 16X bandwidth on two PCIe lanes - kind of a waste not to consider using that feature later IMO

So get rid of one of the other PCI-e components and put in another graphics card SLI? I suppose I could do that if I could get an ethernet cable to the PC... doable if push comes to shove.
January 4, 2013 6:50:19 AM

Just a consideration for later... of course if you're considering one heck of an upgrade, putting two 690's in SLI on that board... or maybe by then two 790's... you'll need to run a triple or quad monitor setup to justify it but, I'm thinking Awesome.
January 4, 2013 11:00:48 PM

C12Friedman said:
Just a consideration for later... of course if you're considering one heck of an upgrade, putting two 690's in SLI on that board... or maybe by then two 790's... you'll need to run a triple or quad monitor setup to justify it but, I'm thinking Awesome.

Haha Wow! You're talking crazy talk now! SLI 690's would run anything for many many years to come I'm sure!
At least I know there's plenty of scope for upgrades with the board I'm getting... and shouldn't get bottlenecked by the processor for a while either. £2000 well spent! (My girlfriend will hate it I'm sure!)
I've found what I'm getting when I've earned my millions though... http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Leviathan.h...
!