Sign in with
Your question

First Build - Thoughts?

Last response: in Systems
August 20, 2012 9:02:34 AM

Hey Folks,

Coming to you from all the way down in Australia. This is my first build - I'm looking to use it to game, download as well as store and (hopefully) stream videos to my tv. I've read too many forums on here to count and they've been very helpful. I know there are a million people on here asking to have their builds checked out but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Corsair Carbide 400R Midi-Tower Case (CC9011011-WW) - $117 MSY Online
Cooler Master GX 750W Power Supply (RS-750-ACAA-D3) - $105 MSY Online
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard - $159 Austin Computers
Intel Core i5 3570K CPU (BX80637I53570K) - $235 PLE Computers
XFX HD6870 DUAL FAN Graphics Card (HD-687A-ZDFC) - $179 PLE Computers
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) KIT DDR3 RIPJAWS X C9 1600MHz RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) - $62 PLE Computers
OCZ Agility 4 2.5" 128GB Solid State Drive (AGT4-25SAT3-128G) - $109 MSY Online
2 x WD Caviar Green 3.5" 3TB 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drives (WD30EZRX) - $168 each MSY Online
Liteon IHAS324 BLACK SATA DVD Writer - $25 Austin Computers
Microsoft MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM - $90 MSY Online
BILLION 7800N WIRELESS N MODEM ROUTER (BIPAC7800N) - $149 PLE Computers

My main concerns are:

a) If the components are compatible (as far as i can tell from my research they are).

b) Am I likely to need any extra cooling for the case or cpu (does it depend on if the cpu is overclocked or not?).

c) Would there be any issues supporting a dual screen setup.

d) Are the motherboard and case compatible in terms of the usb 3.0 headers? (this was the main reason for choosing this case).

e) My biggest issue - the pc will be about 10 - 12m away from the modem with no chance of running a cable the entire length. I'm hoping to stream videos that are stored on the wd hard drives to the tv (it's a new smart tv so i'm going to test out the inbuilt capacity but if it's no good I'll just connect a media player). I have no idea if this is possible given the distance to the modem. If it is, is it better to include a wireless network adapter in the build or buy a powerline ethernet adapter? also, I've read that the wd caviar green hard drives are primary for storage - they're obviously nice and cheap but are they fit for the job of streaming? Finally, I've read good things about the billion 7800n but is it worth the cost?

Thanks in advance everyone!

More about : build thoughts

a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2012 10:10:59 AM

Everything looks good except you need a aftermarket cpu cooler and that mobo needs a bios upgrade to use i53570k i recommend you avoid that hassle also that psu is a no go let me know if you need help finding the right ram and mobo and cpu cooler
m
l
!