:sweat: 
Dear all,
This is my first build, the specs are as follows:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
CPU : Core i7 3770k
Ram : Kingston Hyperx Genesis Lovo
PSU : Seasonic 760W Gold Modular
Graphics Card: MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III

Symptom: Power Button LED ( On the motherboard, next to RAM slots) keeps blinking orange as soon as I connect the PSU. Other that that, no response, totally dead.

So as the title says, I'm on my second motherboard after the first one was found 'defective' and replaced under replacement warranty.
The problem was as described above. I did not get it to boot even once.
The shop tested the PSU on load, it seemed to work ok, the fan turned on (but it only does so on higher loads, so I'm assuming they tested it under high load). They said PSU is ok.

So I came back home, took the motherboard out of the box and simply did a breadboard test, with the CPU, cooler and RAM (one stick only).
Same problem!
I'm at the end of my wits with this thing :fou: 

Please help out this noob. :( 
August 20, 2012 10:16:12 AM

Your cpu may be faulty, did you verify that you have the auxiliary cpu power connection. I had the exact same problem with my system a while back, the light would blink occasionally, I had a bad psu.
m
l
August 20, 2012 10:47:21 AM

vegettonox said:
Your cpu may be faulty, did you verify that you have the auxiliary cpu power connection. I had the exact same problem with my system a while back, the light would blink occasionally, I had a bad psu.

Thanks for the reply vegettonox.

Well, at the shop they tested it with a different cpu. The previous mobo had the same problem there, so I'm not really sure its the CPU.
Power wise, I connected the 24-pin ATX and the 8 pin 12V supply for CPU.

The only combination I'm not able to try is a different PSU.

The 24 pin side that connects to the PSU is split into two parts, 1x16pin + 1x8 pin.
The 8 pin one contains the Green / Gray wires for PSU_ON and PWR_OK.

I connected the green to black. There was an audible 'click' in the PSU.
I measured PWR_OK = 5V. All the rest of voltages were as expected.

As soon as I plug in this 8 pin connector into the PSU, the motherboard blinking starts. There's no audible 'click' on pressing the mobo power switch, so I'm assuming the PSU doesn't even turn on.

Now I'm not sure what to replace.
m
l
Related resources
August 20, 2012 2:06:24 PM

Hi all,
I'm trying to use a different PSU tomorrow from my friend's PC.
I hope that can resolve the issue.
Two faulty motherboards in a row cannot be happening.

Looking forward for any suggestions/advice.
Thanks!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2012 7:42:27 PM

ill be honost, this is crazy and using his psu will probably not do anything other than tell you that your psu is not the problem... do you get any beeps or is there just nothing happening not even the lights turn on. also try his gpu because it sounds like that could be a pig possibility.

and if nothing happens(no fans spin nothing) make sure the cable from the case to the mobo(power) is in correctly check back to your manual
m
l

Best solution

August 20, 2012 9:49:36 PM

proton007 said:

Power wise, I connected the 24-pin ATX and the 8 pin 12V supply for CPU.

The only combination I'm not able to try is a different PSU.

The 24 pin side that connects to the PSU is split into two parts, 1x16pin + 1x8 pin.
The 8 pin one contains the Green / Gray wires for PSU_ON and PWR_OK.

Just to be clear, you've got the 20+4 pin ATX main cable harness connected, and the additional 1x8 12v CPU power cable also connected? (it's unrelated/distinct from the main ATX cable, and typically plugs in on the other side of the board by the CPU socket) Check your mobo manual if uncertain.

As for the computer shop's testing, If I'm reading this right, they tested your current motherboard and powersupply with a different CPU and said it was fine? was it installed in your case?

Were you using your video card when you did the breadboard test? Have you tried booting without it and using the CPU's onboard graphics chipset?
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 469 V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 10:01:35 PM

few things to check...see if the bios of the mb is at rev f8 should be a label on the box or mb. the f7 bios wont post with the 3770. look on the cpu supported list page. also see if your ram is on the list for the mb or ram vendor. if you bought these parts from a local shop they should have had you walking out with parts that were booting. or at lest with a small fee a system that was posting. if the mb is out of the case and doing this i find a shop that i could return a ps and ram and test a new ps and ram.
that if the bios was higher then f7. if not with the shop show them the cpu supprt list and find one that will post with f7 bios. to rule out a bios issue.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 10:12:40 PM

reseat the ram.
m
l
August 21, 2012 12:55:07 AM

PanicMaster85 said:
ill be honost, this is crazy and using his psu will probably not do anything other than tell you that your psu is not the problem... do you get any beeps or is there just nothing happening not even the lights turn on. also try his gpu because it sounds like that could be a pig possibility.

and if nothing happens(no fans spin nothing) make sure the cable from the case to the mobo(power) is in correctly check back to your manual

Thx for the reply.

There are no beeps, but I'm not sure if the mobo has any speaker onboard.
It has a debug LED display, and there's nothing on it.

As far as the cable goes, they're connected ok, I verified with the motherboard and PSU manuals.
I was testing without the GPU.
m
l
August 21, 2012 1:01:51 AM

fury420 said:
Just to be clear, you've got the 20+4 pin ATX main cable harness connected, and the additional 1x8 12v CPU power cable also connected? (it's unrelated/distinct from the main ATX cable, and typically plugs in on the other side of the board by the CPU socket) Check your mobo manual if uncertain.

As for the computer shop's testing, If I'm reading this right, they tested your current motherboard and powersupply with a different CPU and said it was fine? was it installed in your case?

Were you using your video card when you did the breadboard test? Have you tried booting without it and using the CPU's onboard graphics chipset?

Yes, both 20+4 pin and 8 pin are connected.

Here's how they tested it:
1) PSU tested separately using their equipment.
2) Connected to my motherboard with another CPU. No response.
3) So they said motherboard was the issue.

They didn't check if the next motherboard was working ok. Its a retail shop, they only assemble pc's, and a big mistake on my part, i didn't bring my cpu :sweat:  .
So far I haven't installed the GPU, so its only the CPU + RAM + Cooler.
Even the cooler I'm just using the stock to test, I'll be using Noctua NH-D14 on the actual build.
m
l
August 21, 2012 1:14:49 AM

smorizio said:
few things to check...see if the bios of the mb is at rev f8 should be a label on the box or mb. the f7 bios wont post with the 3770. look on the cpu supported list page. also see if your ram is on the list for the mb or ram vendor. if you bought these parts from a local shop they should have had you walking out with parts that were booting. or at lest with a small fee a system that was posting. if the mb is out of the case and doing this i find a shop that i could return a ps and ram and test a new ps and ram.
that if the bios was higher then f7. if not with the shop show them the cpu supprt list and find one that will post with f7 bios. to rule out a bios issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.
The box doesn't really say the bios version.
And my RAM is a Low Voltage, so it might be an issue, but I cannot tell until i can atleast get to BIOS.
m
l
August 21, 2012 1:48:20 AM

Update:

I tried using my friend's PC, it has a CM 450W PSU.
Only the CPU, Cooler and Ram was attached.
I could see the cooler running, the mobo could POST (the debug LEDs were working).

We tried to use my PSU with his motherboard.
No response.

So I guess its the PSU then.
I'm suspecting the standby signal (Purple Wire), because the PSU works if PS_ON is shorted. Meaning the mobo is not able to signal the PSU to switch on.

I'll do further check to confirm. Suggestions are welcome.
Thx.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 21, 2012 1:49:38 AM

yeah it sure sounds like the mobo have you tried booting without the cpu installed?(just troubleshooting not sure if that will do anything...)
m
l
August 21, 2012 3:03:55 AM

PanicMaster85 said:
yeah it sure sounds like the mobo have you tried booting without the cpu installed?(just troubleshooting not sure if that will do anything...)

Mobo?
It seems like the PSU to me. The mobo could post with another PSU.

Its the same without the CPU as well.
I don't think the CPU is at fault, hasn't even been used once.

I'll get a replacement PSU tomorrow.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 21, 2012 3:48:11 AM

yes ok i did not notice that it posts with the other psu
m
l
August 21, 2012 4:42:18 AM

Update:

I connected the PSU to mains, and switched on the power switch on the PSU.

The purple line (Standby) should be 5V (+- 5%). Its not stable, fluctuating between 2.7 to 5V.
I think thats what causes the power switch to pulse.

The PSU it is then. Will update the status (and that of the post, hopefully), once I get a replacement tomorrow.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 21, 2012 5:53:02 AM

OK... yeah hope it goes well
m
l
August 22, 2012 3:39:07 PM

Best answer selected by proton007.
m
l
August 22, 2012 3:41:57 PM

Hi All,
Replaced the PSU today, its all working well so far!

CPU temps are around 40-42 deg C, with ambient temperature of about 28 deg C.
The Bios says RAM is 1333 MHz, but its 1600 on the stick. I'll check that out later.

Thanks for the help!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 469 V Motherboard
August 23, 2012 2:46:24 AM

have to use the dram xpm profile in the mb bios to go from 1333 to 1600 speed.
m
l
August 23, 2012 4:46:12 AM

smorizio said:
have to use the dram xpm profile in the mb bios to go from 1333 to 1600 speed.

Yes, thanks for the information!
m
l
!