Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Should I buy 5200+ or 5600+

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Hewlett Packard
Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2013 4:27:49 AM

I have a HP DX2250 and currently have a AMD Athlon 64 3800+ @2.4Ghz with 2Gb Ram.

I would like to upgrade to a dual core CPU but I'm not sure if I should get the Athlon 64 x2 5200 @2.6Ghz or the 5600+ @2.8Ghz. Would I see any noticeable improvements between the two? Considering all I will be doing is web browsing and watching HD video etc.

Also I would like a cheap low profile graphics card that will allow me to watch HD video, do you have any suggestions?
How hard is it to change the PSU if I wanted to go to a full on graphics card? What would be the best match for my CPU? Games from what year could I play with it?

Thanks for all the help

More about : buy 5200 5600

a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 5:51:43 AM

That's a pretty old system, but jumping to dual core should be a noticeable improvement. I just wouldn't pay very much money for the processor upgrade. 5200 and 5600 are about 10% performance difference. I'd say it depends on price as to which to go with.

Most lower end graphics cards can play HD video. Something like a Radeon 5450/6450 or a Nvidia GT610/620 can do that just fine and they use very little power.

I wouldn't put a big gaming card and power supply in there because even those processors are on the slow side for modern games. If you start putting that kind of money into the system, then it's overhaul time and you should get a new MB and newer CPU.
January 4, 2013 6:57:39 AM

twelve25 said:
That's a pretty old system, but jumping to dual core should be a noticeable improvement. I just wouldn't pay very much money for the processor upgrade. 5200 and 5600 are about 10% performance difference. I'd say it depends on price as to which to go with.

Most lower end graphics cards can play HD video. Something like a Radeon 5450/6450 or a Nvidia GT610/620 can do that just fine and they use very little power.

I wouldn't put a big gaming card and power supply in there because even those processors are on the slow side for modern games. If you start putting that kind of money into the system, then it's overhaul time and you should get a new MB and newer CPU.

Yeah it's old but the way I see it, I only pay for things I need. I don't do any heavy gaming or video editing etc. so I don't I need anything more than this. Well they're both quite cheap, the 5200 is £20 and the 5600 is £27. I'll probably go with a 5200 then thanks.

Also if I wanted to play older games like GTA 3 etc. would the 5450 be able to handle them?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 2:49:05 PM

It's hard to find benchmarks for older games with newer cards. It probably would play many games on lower settings and low resolutions, but not very demanding games like Crysis, Far Cry, Battlefield, etc.

Nothing wrong with an older system if it is meeting your needs, just be careful about putting too much money into it because even after maxing out that system, it's still an old underpowered one that you likely will want to replace before long (or parts start dying due to age)

a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 3:32:46 PM

First of all you need to contact HP and see if your motherboard supports a dual core processor. Many boards using the old Athlon single core processors will not be dual core compatible, and being an OEM system, this has an even greater possibility of being an issue. Be careful of socket compatibility also, back then there was socket 939, and AM2. They are not interchangeable.

Just don't want you spending money on something you cannot use.

Personally, the rig is so outdated, if you feel your performance lagging, you should place all money towards a new updated system. Anything you do to this system will only leave you with an old, slow, outdated system, that you have spent money on.
January 4, 2013 3:41:04 PM

jitpublisher said:
First of all you need to contact HP and see if your motherboard supports a dual core processor. Many boards using the old Athlon single core processors will not be dual core compatible, and being an OEM system, this has an even greater possibility of being an issue. Be careful of socket compatibility also, back then there was socket 939, and AM2. They are not interchangeable.

Just don't want you spending money on something you cannot use.

Personally, the rig is so outdated, if you feel your performance lagging, you should place all money towards a new updated system. Anything you do to this system will only leave you with an old, slow, outdated system, that you have spent money on.

Yeah it definitely supports it as they were offered as upgrades when the system was bought. To be honest I really don't do much other than browse the web and watch films so I should be good with this. Gaming doesn't interest me that anyway especially when I have a 360.

I think I'm gonna go for a Athlon 64 x2 5600+ and a Radeon 5450. Pretty much getting them both for free so it's all good. Oh and thanks Twelve25 :) 
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 3:41:57 PM

I did a little checking, this is a DDR2 system and it supports AM2 processors to 4600 X2. Here is the data sheet link. It may support something faster, but would likely need a BIOS update to do it. Whether that is available or not, I do not know.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_p...
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 4:27:39 PM

nimbah_52 said:
According to the HP site it supports up to the 6000+ model. http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12605_div...

What do you think?

You are right, this link does show it supports the faster processors. If all you need is CPU power, and you can find one that fits your budget, I would do it. How much memory do you have? If you have 1 gig or less, another gig of memory would be a great addition too.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 5:05:28 PM

He said he has 2GB in the OP which is borderline OK. I'd recommend more, but DDR2 is expensive and I don't know if is worth it.

Also, OP, remember to order some cheap thermal paste. You'll need it when you reinstall your heatsink on the new CPU.
January 6, 2013 7:49:34 PM

Thanks for all the help, I got the 5600+ and yeah I remembered thermal paste :) 
January 7, 2013 9:21:42 AM

One more thing,
I'm looking at a Gainward GeForce® GT520 1024MB with the following specs:
GPU Clockspeed : 810 MHz
Memory : 1024 MB DDR3 (64 bits)
Memory Clockspeed : 535 MHz
Bandwidth : 8.56 GB/s
Ramdac : 400 MHz
Bus : PCI-Express 2.0
Cooling : Fan
Video-Features : HDMI
Connectivity : DVI + VGA

Only thing is the memory clock speed seems a bit low at 535 Mhz. Would it be a problem?
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2013 6:38:46 PM

Memory should be 900Mhz DDR3. So that's a typo or a seriously crippled version of an already low end card.