Sign in with
Your question

New build - Advice please

Last response: in Systems
August 20, 2012 10:55:29 AM

Hi there. I'm pretty new to all this, I've never built a computer before but I've been doing a lot of research recently and this is what I've come up with.

I want to build a PC for video editing, after effects and some 3D work - mostly with 3DSMax.

Here is the core components I'm thinking about - I just want to get this stuff sorted and will worry about the rest of the build later.

CPU - Intel 2nd Gen i7 3930K Hexcore LGA 2011 Socket (I intend to overclock it though nothing really extreme)

Motherboard - ASUS P9X79 Deluxe LGA 2011 Intel X79 Chipset

Memory - Corsair Dominator GT 1.5V 16GB 2133Mhz Quad Channel memory kit (I May upgrade to a second of these kits in the future as the motherboard has 8 DIMMS)

GPU - Nvidia Quadro 4000

So, My questions:

1) Is that memory compatible with the motherboard? I looked at the ASUS list of compatible memory for the P9X79 Deluxe and that corsair memory was not listed though many other corsair products were, I dont understand why... also it is possible to use 2 16GB kits together to get 32GB RAM?
Quote:
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/P9X79-DELUXE/P9X79_DELUXE_DRAM_QVL.zip

2) The Quadro 4000 video card id not on the list of P9X79 Deluxe compatible hardware. Once again, is this a problem of just ASUS being idiots? Will that card work?
Quote:
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/P9X79-DELUXE/P9X79_Deluxe.zip

3) On the P9X79 Deluxe compatible hardware list, its also specifies other hardware which is compatible - I had always thought that If I bought an SSD it would work with any system provided it has the requires SATA connections and the right driver were installed.... Someone please enlighten me?

4) I understand that the i7 3930K has PCIe 2 while the mother board has PCIe 3. Is this a problem?

5) Is this a good build for what I intend to use it for? any constructive criticism appreciated.

Thanks

More about : build advice

August 21, 2012 12:32:27 AM

thanks guys.

will look at that parts list and post my thought later today. :) 
m
l
!