bexyboo88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Heya all, not sure if this is the right area to post this.

My partner has got a new PC and has been playing world of warcraft on it. He has had it a day and it has been running very smooth at 60 fps cap everywhere on a HD 7770.

Today, his brother altered the UI Scale when he had a go on it, and since putting it back to normal, the game gets a little blip/jitter/hicup every now and then, around every 5 secs or so that it never had before.

He's tried disabling addons, and made sure his resolution and refresh rate are normal. He's tried restarting the PC and reloading WoW. I've been searching online for some answers but lots of people seem to have had this problem and noone seems to have a solution.

Does anyone know what this could be or have any further suggestions to try?

Also, one other thing. He has these very light horizontal lines that sometimes come on the screen also whilst playing wow only. We are not sure what this could be either. :/

I have read your post and it seems like either

A) a ram issue (not enough or all of its in use by some other program requiring the comp to use paging file
B) you said you noticed lines etc is this where some of the screen is "left over" say when you swing your camera? (If so check in the graphics options if Vsync is on, if its not turn it on. Also check if triple buffering is on, if not turn it on.)
C) it "might" be an over heating issue and it could be some very light artifacting but I doubt it.

What are the full pc specs?

bexyboo88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

Heya, thankyou for your advice.

He had Vsync enabled but not triple buffering. After enableing that we think its stopped the jitter issue, he's going to play it for a while and see if it does it again.

The lines we can't see now in WoW, but when you go to the character screen they are visable again. It's also is noticable on other things like youtube, but not on the desktop. It's not exactly like black lines, it's more like "refreshing lines" (?)

We've just tried it on an old square screen we have and it's doing it on that too so I don't think it's a monitor issue.

Specs are:

AMD FX 6100
Asus M5A78L-M
Windows 7 Home Premium
4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
1TB HDD
Radeon HD 7770
500W PSU

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Is WoW set to run on Direct x 11? I have had nothing but problems with Direct X11 WoW. I just run it on 9 it works just as well, at least I don't notice any difference.

bexyboo88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

Yeah I think so, In the control centre for the graphics card its set on 60hz and the the resolution is 1440 x 900 which was the same as he's always had it. He has it set to the same numbers in the WoW options too.

We've got a tv screen and plugged that in and it's not even doing it on that. :??:

bexyboo88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

Heya, when he first got the pc and got WoW on it, he tried it on Direct X 11 to see what happened and it made it run worse so he put it back on 9.

bexyboo88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
hmm it's really strange about the triple buffering issue. Why would it run perfectly yesterday, and this morning, without Triple Buffering enabled, and then now it needs it on otherwise i get the stutters... Could anyone shed any light on this?

bexyboo88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

Just tried it and it didn't toggle it on or off when I changed the UI.
The FPS are high like usuall but it still just feels different, I just don't understand why it was running very smooth before and now it runs smooth but with tiny little jitters every now and then, with triple buffering having to be on when it wasnt. It's rattling my brain lol

bexyboo88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Update: Just updated the graphics card driver and still the same. Got the Rippling/Flickering lines that are just noticeable if you look closely. They seem to appear worse on the character screen but happen not just on WoW.

I really don't have a clue what's up with it.

I've just tried it on another TV Screen, and I can't see any lines/flickering at all. It's only doing it on the monitors.

bexyboo88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
All addons are deleted but the flickering lines arn't just on WoW.
We tried to take a screenshot, but they don't appear on it.
Here are some examples or where we can see them:

When on the Login screen with deathwing, the flickers appear on the right side under the dragon wing.

On the Character screen, its across the whole screen - but only on his mage (?) XD

In wow, you can only see it in certain places, mainly dark areas.

I can also see it on lower quality Youtube videos

When I open up the AMD Control centre, some adverts appear and you can see it on some of them.

You can really only see it when you look carefully and closely at the screen as they are quite feignt, but to me it's something that indicated something isn't right, especially as its a brand new pc.

Is your desktop resolution set to max? also is your refresh rate at 60? (desktop > right click > screen res > advanced > monitor > refresh rate should be 60, or whatever your monitor states)

Does it appear in windowed mode? I play wow my self and haven't seen this issue before but then again never changed the ui. The screen capture from what I have been reading turned up clean so the memory on the card is good. Go into safe mode and uninstall the driver suite then use driver sweeper to finish it off. Boot into windows normally and install the driver pack of your choice. Clear the cache in the wow folder instead of a new install. You can also edit the settings without having the client loaded by editing the text files. You might be able to reset it back to defaults that way.

Beyond that I suggest that you seek out some help on Blizz's forums and if no helps comes from there try some forum sites that belong to a few private servers as some people there can help.

bexyboo88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

Heya thanks for your advice. I have been asking both here and on the wow forums too :)

Heres an Update:

I think I've managed to fix the flickering lines, I took the VGA cable from his brothers pc and tried it on his new pc. Now I can't see any more flickering lines, so it must have been a dodgey cable! Now I just need to fix this Jittering every now and then on WoW.

It seems like it only does it mainly in Stormwind, Elwynn Forest and Darkmoon Faire..Other than that, it's only when you change zone it will do a slight jitter to load up the area, but I think that is normal? I've put everything on low, good and high and theres no decrease in Framerates but it still jitters. I've Turned Triple buffering on and off and it still just jitters in those areas.

A slow hard drive will cause loading issues in wow and learned recently that it can also stop the client from working as it should. He could just go buy a new hard drive that is a decent model then use a cloning utility to copy everything onto the new drive without needing to reinstall anything.

Taking a page out of my book of bad morals, he could buy an SSD from a local best buy / frys / etc and if it doesn't help he can return it and pay a few bucks restocking fee.

bexyboo88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Hello all, final update from me. Thanks again for your support and advice.

We've actually fixed the problem.

I was doing some more online searching and came across a post about someone having trouble with DirectX 11 on Fullscreen mode of the game, saying it was jittering and laggy.

So I suggested to him, have you tried it on windowed mode? He tried it, and now it's running Purrfectly :D

Not sure if there's some sort of fix for the fullscreen jitter, but he's happy enough playing it in windowed mode anyways.