Your question

Building my first computer for gaming.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 20, 2012 11:14:19 AM

I've never built a computer, i know nothing about parts and i've spent the last couple of days on multiple forums asking for help and apparently here i will get the best advice :) 

I haven't yet bought anything but i'm looking for a computer that will be able to play Guild Wars 2 on high / max settings with high FPS. I'm rather confused at the moment so any help will be appreciated!

This is one option.. £662 in total

CM Storm Enforcer Case with Coolermaster 650W GX PSU
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
Asus P8Z77-V LX Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB Cache
LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials
XFX HD 7850 2GB DDR5 DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

Second Option... £640

XFX HD 6870 900MHz 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Dual Mini DisplayPort HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card

Finally... £580

XFX HD 6850 1GB DDR5 Dual DVI Dual Mini DisplayPort HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card

Are the differences between the graphics cards that great? My budget is around £650 and i still need the operating system for £80. Also if i got the 7850 would it actually fit in my case? Also if the difference is worth paying would it be worth while downgrading to the i5 3450 and saving £30 in order to buy the better graphics card?

www.ebuyer.com is the website im using.

Please Help!

More about : building computer gaming

August 20, 2012 11:28:09 AM

that looks pretty good. check a PSU calculator online to make sure that your PSU will handle your components. theyre not completely accurate but they will give you a general idea. as for your query about playing your game on high to max settings, go to a site called gamesystemrequirements.com and create a account then input your components, click on a game and it will tell you if you can run it ok. Generally if it passes the recommended requirements it will play said game on high settings at good FPS. graphics cards difference depends on your expectations, but as for guild wars 2 any of the graphics cards that you chose coupled with an I5 that was listed in your components will SMASH guild wars 2. For your CPU, if your not going to overclock then its no use paying extra money to get the K on the end of the CPU. The K basically means you can overclock the CPU. I hope this helps. Sorry for the long reply, trying to help out a new builder. I was a new builder once :) 
August 20, 2012 12:12:54 PM

That reply was actually very helpful :)  Thank you for the input on the video cards and the 'K'. With the setup i doubt i will be overclocking and i tried to do a test and if i did it right i think my PSU is okay :) 

With the information you've provided i'm going for the i5 3570 saving me £14, and going for the 6870 graphics card, a small boost to be safe because apparently AMD is weaker? but with my limited knowledge i just know a bit more about what im buying with AMD graphics cards.

That you for saying how the performance will be in GW2, its made me feel safer and i will make another post on the website you've linked!

Thanks!
August 20, 2012 2:41:06 PM

All good :)  nice to hear my input is appreciated. i just did a PSU calulator test with your current components and the site gives a max wattage of 305W. Note this is with one hard drive, no fans selected, no lights etc. Dont let that worry you though. My next computer that im building in the next month or two will have a 3570K overclocked like all hell, a GTX 670, a total of 7 fans ranging from 120mm to 230 mm, 3 led strips, 4 cold cathodes, 3 hard drives, 1 SSD and ill only be pulling a max of 495W. If you want to save a bit more cash you could go with a lower rated wattage PSU such as this one (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...). For the GPU, AMD cards are not necessiraly weaker, its peoples opinions on them. For instance an AMD 8 core CPU is only about 210 bucks whereas a 3570K is 235 bucks for a 4 core CPU. Some people prefer AMD, some Intel. You should go with what you want and what will suit your needs. Im going with an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU for my next build as my current one is AMD CPU and GPU so i want to try something different. Check this site out as well www.videocardbenchmark.net it compiles a list of all the major graphics so you can see how your card will compare to other cards.
!