GuppyFishNoob

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
hey i recently posted a question about my new build and after reading through all the answers i have come up with an updated build list. My priorities on this build are performance, looks and pure awesomeness :). Cheers

Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD Retail Box

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Overclocked 2GB

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

Intel Core i5 3570K

Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound (4g)

ModSmart Vandal LED Switch - Red, Latching

Bitspower X-Station Power Extension I UV

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

Bitspower Dual 10cm Cold Cathode Kit Red/Orange

Bitspower Dual 30cm Cold Cathode Kit Red/Orange

CoolerMaster HAF X Case

BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm Black Fan x 3 (for side and top of case)

BitFenix Spectre Pro 140mm Black Fan (for exhaust)

BitFenix Spectre Pro 120mm Black Fan (for VGA duct)

CoolerMaster 120mm Silent Red LED Fan (for CPU cooler)

CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W

G.Skill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Lamptron FC5 V2 Fan Controller

BitFenix Sleeved Molex Extension Cable 45cm Red x 8

BitFenix Sleeved SATA III Cable 180 Degree 30cm Red x 5

BitFenix Sleeved Molex to SATA Power Cable 45cm Red

BitFenix Sleeved 6-Pin VGA Power Cable 45cm Red x 2

BitFenix 3pin to 3x3pin Fan Power Splitter Red x 3

BitFenix Sleeved Fan Extension Cable 30cm Red x 7

BitFenix Sleeved 24pin ATX Extension Cable 30cm Red

BitFenix 8pin EPS 12V Extension Cable 45cm Red

BitFenix Sleeved Molex to 4x SATA Power Cable Red

im also looking into modding my HAF X window or purchasing something similair to see the insides of my case better. and how to wire up a latching vandal switch to a xstation to control my cathodes and possibly some LED's. I have a lot of extension cables because i want a clean and tidy build, front and back. My fan controller will be split across my 3 setups (CPU cooling, GPU cooling, intake/exhaust). What do you guys reckon? Any suggestions? Something i could have done better?

Solution
Looks good.

You dont need the Thermal paste as the 212 EVO already comes with some re-branded MX-5.

I would ditch the cathodes outright and just get LED's. Bitfenix Alchemy Connect are what I use.

That 24pin extension is useful with the HAF-X and that mobo. because the board is 3cm smaller than ATX standard, the cable has to reach a bit further to get into it, so it was pretty tight. I had to get an extension (the exact one you picked) to relieve the strain. Dont be alarmed if the mounting holes on the Extreme4 dont line up with the case's holes, the board is smaller than ATX standard.

If the price difference doesn't bother you, go for the ASUS GTX670. Black PCB versus the blue of the Gigabyte card.
Looks good.

You dont need the Thermal paste as the 212 EVO already comes with some re-branded MX-5.

I would ditch the cathodes outright and just get LED's. Bitfenix Alchemy Connect are what I use.

That 24pin extension is useful with the HAF-X and that mobo. because the board is 3cm smaller than ATX standard, the cable has to reach a bit further to get into it, so it was pretty tight. I had to get an extension (the exact one you picked) to relieve the strain. Dont be alarmed if the mounting holes on the Extreme4 dont line up with the case's holes, the board is smaller than ATX standard.

If the price difference doesn't bother you, go for the ASUS GTX670. Black PCB versus the blue of the Gigabyte card.

Solution

GuppyFishNoob

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
that particular set of parts is going to cost me about $1900 bucks. my budget is variable . im working my ass off so i can hopefully get it by christmas but i would really prefer to get it before then. and now i have to add headphones to the list as my stupid mutt of a dog chewed through the cord on mine lastnight. Any recommendations?

GuppyFishNoob

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
what would be better lighting for my case? i have heard arguments both ways (cathodes VS led strips) my main purpose for lighting in my case is i want it to basically look awesome. Dont know how to explain it further :) i have also heard that cathodes dont last very long. i dont want to spend $50 plus on cathodes and spend all that time on wiring and cable management for them to die quickly. what would be a better choice?

GuppyFishNoob

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
after watching a lot of videos on youtube im thnking about possibly doing a mini build log on my build with videos or a video with pictures in compressed time. one of the reasons i considered it is because im going to be doing a lot of cable management and making it look as clean and cool as possible. would any one watch the vids if i made them? im not a pro at video editing but i do OK :)

Gah, I had the exact same intention when I was building my current rig, but got swept away when components started piling up. In all the excitement I just completely forgot.

Yeah, do whatever makes you happy. New builders will watch it to get an idea of how to do it and experienced builders might watch to see if you did something better (Cable management and lighting is pretty hard to do right).

Cable management can take while, and you gradually have to learn that at the back end of the build will never be tidy. But its fun in its own methodical way.

GuppyFishNoob

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
Yeah I've decided that I will be doing a build log on my new rig. But it won't be for at least a month or two when I have the cash put together just over a quarter of the way there :). My intention with the build log is superb cable management, awesome lighting, new builder friendly and just plain awesomeness. Cable management is one of the highest priorities with this build hence why I bought all the cable extensions. I was going to sleeve the PSU but I can't find red sleeving. And I want to pour in as much info as I can for new builders or people who want to know more about the parts, most of the vids I've watched are pretty lacklustre when it comes to builds ( apart from SingularityComputers on YouTube he rocks). But as I said not the best at editing stuff such as fast forward time, transitions and what not. So will have to practice :) only using AVS Video Editor, tried using Sony Vegas Pro but it looks WAY to complex for me. What do you guys think?