How to make the computer listen to a single port

ganto

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hello,
i want my computer to make connections to only a single port (53 in this case)......how can i do this? i am using a wireless broadband data card. i am using windows 7 ultimate. is there any way to make such settings in my pc and if so how do i set or make the settings so that my computer will only make connections and also listen to the single port 53? please help !!!

ganto

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
no i just want my pc to make connection's with port 53, i mean both incoming and outgoing connection's. yes that means that i only want to connect to the dns server, can you help me with this setting in my windows 7? and i am not talking about the server address being filled in the network panel i just want to know the exact setting by which my pc will only listen to port 53 on the net!

Only a DNS server will listen on port 53; a desktop PC will not listen on port 53. Also, DNS requests from a PC do not go out from port 53, they go out from a random port to port 53 on the DNS server. You cannot force a PC to use port 53 for OUTBOUND connections.

Now, please explain WHAT you are trying to accomplish, and not what you think you need to do :)

ganto

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
oh ok so i got it, actually i thought that there might be a way to force connection's in that way ( here is was thinking the same way how a VPN works coz i a VPN it uses a single local port , 53 in this case, to make connection's to the net, throught a tunnel, so i thought if there was a way to make that directly without depending on any VPN service to do it for me so i thought that if there was a way to make this tunnel manually without any VPN program :p)

ganto

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
"actually vpn's use a open port to get connected to their servers.....the open port on my network is 53, so the vpn's use this port to bind to their servers making a tunnel through the network using this open port........."

Yes, they use a REMOTE port of 53, and it is remote ports that can be blocked by your router/firewall, but the client software will use a random port on the client PC for the connection.

The same goes for browsers. The local port is NEVER 80, but they connect to port 80 for normal HTTP.

ganto

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
"ok thanx for your help man, actually i thought that there was a way to replicate a tunnel process and make the pc also tunnel through and get a connection through the pc to external anonymous proxies :p , but seems that it is not possible as you said above, so thanx for your time man....." :)