Sign in with
Your question

BSOD and problems booting!

Last response: in Systems
August 20, 2012 1:41:08 PM

Hello!

So, I had problems connecting to the Internet with a cable yesterday. I got some help here and noticed that my LAN drivers were missing. To my amazement, I noticed that I hadn't used the setup disc that came with my MOBO (AsRock Z68 Gen3 Ext3) so I figured that running the disc ought to solve the problem. And it did, but...

After the installation was complete, I shut the PC off. When I tried to restart it, I barely got to the log-in screen before I got a BSOD. I restarted, typed in my password this time - BSOD. Tried again, the same happened. Restarted, got to the log-in screen, tried to restart the PC with the power button in Win7 - BSOD. I checked my BIOS, found nothing odd but I disabled my serial port. After that the boot wouldn't work at all. The PC would only get stucked when the MOBO's screens comes on. I had to clear CMOS and that solved the latest problem. But the BSOD still occurs.

The error code is IRQL not equal or less or something along those lines. So with my knowledge, it's something about my hardware that are interrupting each other or something.

My dual-boot Linux is working just fine.

What can I do to this?

Cheers,
Mon4ro

More about : bsod problems booting

August 20, 2012 2:09:55 PM

Hang on, so you're saying that linux boots up just fine while win7 gives you a BSOD?

Either you have corrupted drivers for win7 or your disk drives aren't configured correctly
August 20, 2012 4:56:13 PM

Yep, so it seems! I have pin-pointed the problem now. When I disable LAN in BIOS, I get no BSODs. So, still no Internet connection for me. : D

There're other people who are experiencing the same problem. Hopefully, I'll find something.

Has anyone in here had a similar problem?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2012 5:17:30 PM

may be bad drivers. start with downloading the newest chipset drivers. if it an intel chipset mb download them from intel.
then look online and see what chipset your mb uses for network card and go to the chipset vendor and download the newest drivers from them.
August 20, 2012 5:37:00 PM

if the problem started after you updated drivers, then, elementary my dear Watson - it's the drivers!
August 20, 2012 5:43:08 PM

New chipset drivers are installed and the same has been done for network card drivers.

The problem persists.

August 20, 2012 5:55:34 PM

is this a new build? how could you just now realize you have no interet otherwise?
August 20, 2012 5:55:49 PM

somewhere you've loaded an old driver from the disk on top of a new driver, or there is a setting in your bios conflicting with your LAN, is wake up on? I would load default settings in bios and if that doesn't work go to your MB's website and look at every driver available and see if there is a date difference from your loaded driver in device manager.
August 20, 2012 6:05:41 PM

dingo07 said:
is this a new build? how could you just now realize you have no interet otherwise?

I built this PC in March. I have been using a USB-interface to enable wireless network. I had some problems with it. Here's a thread more about that if you care at all.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50817-63-windows-ethe...

I did use wired connection in early summer for a few weeks and it worked absolutely fine. But now I don't have my USB-interface anymore and for some reason the wired connection doesn't work anymore.
August 20, 2012 6:06:14 PM

mmilner1 said:
somewhere you've loaded an old driver from the disk on top of a new driver, or there is a setting in your bios conflicting with your LAN, is wake up on? I would load default settings in bios and if that doesn't work go to your MB's website and look at every driver available and see if there is a date difference from your loaded driver in device manager.

I'm gonna do this next and will post results.
August 20, 2012 6:18:36 PM

And just FYI. The internet works fine in Failsafe mode. I don't know if that helps but thought you guys should know.
August 20, 2012 6:42:22 PM

Also, if I unplug the Ethernet cable, the PC wont BSOD on normal boot-up.

Intredasting to say the least.
August 20, 2012 6:53:26 PM

And when I re-plug the cable when I'm logged in, the connection is established and in a few seconds: BSOD.
August 20, 2012 7:02:49 PM

I bet you're getting Ipv stack negotiation errors - read the errors in Event Viewer

boot into Safe Mode and uninstall the Network Adapter then boot normal into windows, installing the correct driver
August 20, 2012 7:11:30 PM

dingo07 said:
I bet you're getting Ipv stack negotiation errors - read the errors in Event Viewer

boot into Safe Mode and uninstall the Network Adapter then boot normal into windows, installing the correct driver

I ran WhoCrashed and the BSOD was indeed due to a LAN driver error. I removed the faulty driver and am now about install another one. We'll see what happens.
August 20, 2012 7:36:22 PM

Sigh.

I restarted after removing the driver. Unbeknownst to me, my PC had supposedly installed some updates and upon start up, the PC would obviously freeze when it came up with the "Defining updates, don't unplug"-***. So, after 20 minutes I forced a shutdown and then it got stuck at "reversing updates" (I don't know if that's the correct translation, but anyway).

Why has this got to be so hard...
Well, moving on.
August 20, 2012 7:38:21 PM

how can Windows Update have downloaded updates when you supposedly didn't have internet connection...?

I'm done... sorry, the water is too muddy

good luck getting it fixed!
August 20, 2012 7:49:15 PM

dingo07 said:
how can Windows Update have downloaded updates when you supposedly didn't have internet connection...?

I'm done... sorry, the water is too muddy

good luck getting it fixed!

Well, I did download updates in FailSafe but they should've been already installed. I can't figure out why it would define them now after many restarts.

Thanks, man, luck will be needed I think.
!