Noob needs advice - Remote Controls for HTPC Build

kodekameleon

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
I'm considering building a HTPC and one of the things which is a big deal for me is whether the remote can turn it on, or at least bring it back up from standby.

So I have three questions:

1) Do I need a particular remote to be able to do this?
2) Do I need a particular mobo
3) Do I need USB 3 (related to 2 I guess)

I am going to build using a micro ATX mobo.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Solution
1) If you are just looking to wake from S3 sleep, then any USB IR remote will do. All recent motherboards allow you to wake from USB. If you get a case with a built-in IR sensor, it may have a 24-pin adapter that allows power on from a full off state. S3 is what you want however, so you don't necessarily need a case with the adapter.

2) No, you don't need a particular motherboard unless you plan to connect the IR to an internal CIR header. USB IR or case integrated IR is a much easier solution.

3) No, you don't need USB 3.0. USB 2.0 is perfectly fine for a USB IR receiver.
1) If you are just looking to wake from S3 sleep, then any USB IR remote will do. All recent motherboards allow you to wake from USB. If you get a case with a built-in IR sensor, it may have a 24-pin adapter that allows power on from a full off state. S3 is what you want however, so you don't necessarily need a case with the adapter.

2) No, you don't need a particular motherboard unless you plan to connect the IR to an internal CIR header. USB IR or case integrated IR is a much easier solution.

3) No, you don't need USB 3.0. USB 2.0 is perfectly fine for a USB IR receiver.

Solution