Sign in with
Your question

Xfx amd radeon hd 6770 idle temp 78C!?!? help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2012 6:32:56 PM

I just bought the xfx amd radeon hd 6770 and it has been idling at 78 degrees Celsius, i have all the latest drivers and all the fans in my computer are super clean but I can't get the temperature to go down. I have a brand new Antec EarthWatts EA-650 650W Power Supply, and an amd phenom X6 processor. Whenever I play a game, even something like portal, it overheats and I get bsod. Please help!
a c 196 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
July 1, 2012 11:50:43 PM

Maybe re-do the thermal paste on the card. Make sure there is no dust in the card as well.
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 3:18:44 AM

78C idle is really abnormal... I mean I've screwed up applying thermal past on a CPU and it'll still idle at like 45C...

I am tempted to say remove the cooler and re-do the thermal paste as well, but seeing as you said you just bought it and xfx has excellent warranties, call them, I believe you can get a replacement. that kind of temps is a sign of a defective something (probably thermal paste)
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
July 2, 2012 3:30:32 AM

check if the heatsink is firmly laid ontop of the gpu correctly. also check that the fan speed and air circulation in the case.
m
l
a c 78 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 3:31:39 AM

Deemo13 said:
Maybe re-do the thermal paste on the card. Make sure there is no dust in the card as well.

DONT do this. yih will void the warranty, and you're nit the one who messed up. the card is deffective. return it where you bought it if possible. if not RMA it
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 6:21:21 AM

hey why dont you manually ramp up the fan to 100%
my hd 6770 doesnt reach 78 degrees even while running furmark..
lolz...
m
l
!