ME

I have an old computer with a corrupted O/S. I have a complete backup
using True Image v8 which is located in a separate partiton (D:). I
want to format C: and install XP, but that leaves me with the old O/S
still in my backup file.

How would you proceed?

Colin

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:59:31 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:

> I have an old computer with a corrupted O/S. I have a complete backup
> using True Image v8 which is located in a separate partiton (D:). I
> want to format C: and install XP, but that leaves me with the old O/S
> still in my backup file.
>
> How would you proceed?
>
> Colin

Other than a brief trial, I have not used Acronis True Image. Does Acronis
do something odd with D: that keeps you from treating it like a regular
partition with files stored on it? If no...

Work with partition C: to install Windows XP. When it's up and running,
delete your backup files and any other files that you no longer need from
D:

Alternatively, you could prepare both hard drives during Windows setup -
deleting, recreating and fomatting the partitions.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

ME

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:47:30 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:59:31 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>> I have an old computer with a corrupted O/S. I have a complete backup
>> using True Image v8 which is located in a separate partiton (D:). I
>> want to format C: and install XP, but that leaves me with the old O/S
>> still in my backup file.
>>
>> How would you proceed?
>>
>> Colin
>
>Other than a brief trial, I have not used Acronis True Image. Does Acronis
>do something odd with D: that keeps you from treating it like a regular
>partition with files stored on it? If no...
>
>Work with partition C: to install Windows XP. When it's up and running,
>delete your backup files and any other files that you no longer need from
>D:
>
>Alternatively, you could prepare both hard drives during Windows setup -
>deleting, recreating and fomatting the partitions.

True Image's main claim to fame is that it can squirt the backup file
from D: to C: and leave c: in bootable condition without having to
re-install all the settings and idiosyncrasies.

That would be good but W98SE seems to have had its day and i wanted
the same thing with XP. It is only used for a dial up connection in a
remote spot so that I can briefly pick up my emails from the main
computer at home. Actually I access my ISP account before the emails
get to my home.

I suppose I could squirt it all back onto C: and then install XP.
Should that give me problems?

Colin

Why not re-instate from the backup and then do a fresh one that doesn't
include any part of Win 98?.. thereafter, you can install Xp and use the
backup to get back data and files that will not affect the OS..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:21:04 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:

> True Image's main claim to fame is that it can squirt the backup file
> from D: to C: and leave c: in bootable condition without having to
> re-install all the settings and idiosyncrasies.
>
> That would be good but W98SE seems to have had its day and i wanted
> the same thing with XP. It is only used for a dial up connection in a
> remote spot so that I can briefly pick up my emails from the main
> computer at home. Actually I access my ISP account before the emails
> get to my home.
>
> I suppose I could squirt it all back onto C: and then install XP.
> Should that give me problems?

The reason I asked if TI does anything to the drive is that another
program, GoBack, writes to the disk in a manner that it has to be removed
before XP setup is run. It wiggles into part of the disk where partition
info and bootstrapping start. I didn't want you to get stuck if Acronis
should be removed first as well.

To reiterate: I would install XP on C: and drop Win98 completely. The old
Win98 system backups on D: are not useful once XP is the operating system.

Your choice if you want to do an upgrade install ,Win98-->WinXP, or do a
clean install of XP. If your XP CD is the upgrade version and you do a
clean install (it is an option), you'll need to have the Win98 CD handy
during setup. NOTE: If W98 was supplied by the OEM, the supplied CD may or
may not work for the qualification step of an upgrade install.

FYI: Regular backup by True Image has worked with XP since it was released.
Recent versions are capable of system backups and disaster recovery for
this operating system.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

ME

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:51:40 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:21:04 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>> True Image's main claim to fame is that it can squirt the backup file
>> from D: to C: and leave c: in bootable condition without having to
>> re-install all the settings and idiosyncrasies.
>>
>> That would be good but W98SE seems to have had its day and i wanted
>> the same thing with XP. It is only used for a dial up connection in a
>> remote spot so that I can briefly pick up my emails from the main
>> computer at home. Actually I access my ISP account before the emails
>> get to my home.
>>
>> I suppose I could squirt it all back onto C: and then install XP.
>> Should that give me problems?
>
>The reason I asked if TI does anything to the drive is that another
>program, GoBack, writes to the disk in a manner that it has to be removed
>before XP setup is run. It wiggles into part of the disk where partition
>info and bootstrapping start. I didn't want you to get stuck if Acronis
>should be removed first as well.
>
>To reiterate: I would install XP on C: and drop Win98 completely. The old
>Win98 system backups on D: are not useful once XP is the operating system.
>
>Your choice if you want to do an upgrade install ,Win98-->WinXP, or do a
>clean install of XP. If your XP CD is the upgrade version and you do a
>clean install (it is an option), you'll need to have the Win98 CD handy
>during setup. NOTE: If W98 was supplied by the OEM, the supplied CD may or
>may not work for the qualification step of an upgrade install.
>
>FYI: Regular backup by True Image has worked with XP since it was released.
>Recent versions are capable of system backups and disaster recovery for
>this operating system.

I am in danger of losing the thread here.

I am pretty confident that the backup will restore to a working
bootable drive with all the Win98, application software, and data.

From what I think you say, installing XP on top of 98 would require
the original Win98SE install disk. This is where it gets a little
uncertain. The machine belongs to a friend and I agreed to install a
dial up account so he could check his emails while away from home.
The dial up network facility was not working/installed so I used my
own very legitimate copy of Win98SE to install over the old
installation and it all seemed to work very well. So I don't know
which CD that XP setup would actually want. I did check all this out
in this NG about beginning of May.

Anyway, is it right that I might not be able to install XP on top of
Win98SE, and if I did would I keep all the settings? Essentially I
only need a dial up account and IE to have the ISP as home page. Then
my friends username and password would get him to his emails without
much effort.

Many thanks

Colin

In news:h3deb1psn98vonh50i4c9amgkqrct770l3@4ax.com,
me@privacy.net <me@privacy.net> typed:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:51:40 -0500, Sharon F
> <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
> wrote:

>> Your choice if you want to do an upgrade install
>> ,Win98-->WinXP, or
>> do a clean install of XP. If your XP CD is the upgrade version
>> and
>> you do a clean install (it is an option), you'll need to have
>> the
>> Win98 CD handy during setup. NOTE: If W98 was supplied by the
>> OEM,
>> the supplied CD may or may not work for the qualification step
>> of an
>> upgrade install.

> From what I think you say, installing XP on top of 98 would
> require
> the original Win98SE install disk.

No, as Sharon said, you need the Windows 98 Installation CD as
proof of ownership only if you do a *clean* installation of XP
with an upgrade version. To install it as an upgrade, on top of
98, the proof of ownership is the already-installed 98, and the
98 CD isn't required.

Please reply to the newsgroup

ME

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:57:51 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>In news:h3deb1psn98vonh50i4c9amgkqrct770l3@4ax.com,
>me@privacy.net <me@privacy.net> typed:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:51:40 -0500, Sharon F
>> <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
>> wrote:
>
>>> Your choice if you want to do an upgrade install
>>> ,Win98-->WinXP, or
>>> do a clean install of XP. If your XP CD is the upgrade version
>>> and
>>> you do a clean install (it is an option), you'll need to have
>>> the
>>> Win98 CD handy during setup. NOTE: If W98 was supplied by the
>>> OEM,
>>> the supplied CD may or may not work for the qualification step
>>> of an
>>> upgrade install.
>
>> From what I think you say, installing XP on top of 98 would
>> require
>> the original Win98SE install disk.
>

>No, as Sharon said, you need the Windows 98 Installation CD as
>proof of ownership only if you do a *clean* installation of XP
>with an upgrade version. To install it as an upgrade, on top of
>98, the proof of ownership is the already-installed 98, and the
>98 CD isn't required.
I think that I've got it now. If I stumble I shall report back in this
thread.

Many thanks

Colin