Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 680 - Frame Stutter when recording Minecraft

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2012 8:34:36 PM

Hello Everyone! I come to you today to ask about a problem I have yet to find the answer to anywhere else! It happens whenever I record Minecraft with FRAPS. Minecraft runs fine on my GTX 680 when I'm not recording it (anywhere from 60-550 FPS). When I record, however, My framerate dips to around 60-120 FPS (Doesn't sound bad). Unfortunately, I get a very noticable stutter which makes for annoying videos of random frame freezes, and makes the game harder to play! If anyone has any idea what's wrong, please help me! Thank You!

Specs:

Intel Core i7 2700K [Sandy Bridge] at 3.50 GHz (stock)
EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 680
16 GB Patriot Viper Xtreme Division 4 1866MHz RAM
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Corsair H60 CPU Liquid Cooler

Thanks Again! :hello: 

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 9:55:59 PM

use other program for recording and see if that happens too?
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 10:10:43 PM

expect this its normal - recording is very intensive on everything as it has to render AND capture etc

outside chance because its raw video it could be a hdd speed limitation...
m
l
Related resources
July 1, 2012 10:15:38 PM

xtreme5 said:
use other program for recording and see if that happens too?

I have, I can record Battlefield 3 at 60+ FPS With No Stutter at 1080p On Normal to High Settings. I guess I could try Dxtory, but the results arent really as visually appealing as FRAPS

apache_lives said:
expect this its normal - recording is very intensive on everything as it has to render AND capture etc

outside chance because its raw video it could be a hdd speed limitation...

So you're saying I may need a faster hard drive? I could do, but I've tried recording to an SSD which didn't seem to fix the problem... Thanks for the help though

To Reiterate, It ONLY happens on Minecraft while recording :/ 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 10:23:35 PM

may be problem in game?
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 10:28:12 PM

might be the recording program badly reacting to the game.
m
l
July 1, 2012 11:02:59 PM

xtreme5 said:
may be problem in game?

dudewitbow said:
might be the recording program badly reacting to the game.

It could be, but my friend also records Minecraft with a lesser setup than me and is able to record Minecraft with FRAPS and gets no stutter whatsoever, leading me to believe it's either because he has an AMD card, or because of a problem with my GPU or CPU, or a software configuration gone wrong... Again, not sure. Any ideas?
m
l
July 1, 2012 11:19:04 PM

Best answer selected by Christop406.
m
l
July 1, 2012 11:19:25 PM

Ok, I've decided to use Dxtory, thank you for answering, it seems to record fine with no stuttering! :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 8:37:12 AM

Christop406 said:
Ok, I've decided to use Dxtory, thank you for answering, it seems to record fine with no stuttering! :) 

nicely done. :) 
m
l
!