Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth getting the GTX 680

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2012 11:39:59 PM

I have a 6870 now and I wanted to upgrade and get two GTX 680's. My question is I guess is it worth it? Yes I know the GTX 600's are smaller and faster than previous generations and faster than AMD's current 7000 series but I do have some concearns. I have read that the GTX 600's run slightly (not much but just a little) hotter than the 500 series. It is said that this is due to the GPU die shrink. Kind of like what is happening with the Ivy Bridges CPU. This concearns me because I do plan on overclocking. The other thing is that concearns me is micro stuttering. I know with SLI or Crossfire there is always some micro stutter but I've been reading that the whole GTX series is suffering from stuttering problems even with just a single card. It sounds like bad drivers are causing problems.

More about : worth gtx 680

a c 106 U Graphics card
July 1, 2012 11:45:48 PM

at the current moment, the gtx 670 and HD 7970 are the better buy choices. the 7970 at the current moment go head to head with the gtx 680 using the 12.7 beta drivers.

as for architecture and heating, the gtx 6xx series i would think will work better, since their power consumption is a bit less and they are more efficient than the gtx 5xx series cards. as for microstuttering, my knowledge of that is a bit under average in that and would prefer not to speak of it.
m
l
July 1, 2012 11:54:10 PM

I guess my biggest concearn is the microstuttering Like I said I know with SLI or Crossfire there is always some possibilty of microstuttering but like I said this seems to be a problem in both SLI and single card. It seems like its a major problem with these 600 series.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 12:01:21 AM

Go for the 7970 its a better all around performer, yes it uses a bit more power but it is a little faster but also a little cooler at load over the gtx 680. I have to use a custom fan curve to keep my reference 680's from hitting 80 degrees. With Catalyst 12.7 and 3GB of Vram youre good to go.
m
l
July 2, 2012 12:06:06 AM

I really don't think the 7970 beats out the GTX 680. All the benchmarks and reviews I've seen have the 680 beating out the 7970.
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 12:09:11 AM

Anonymous_26 said:
I really don't think the 7970 beats out the GTX 680. All the benchmarks and reviews I've seen have the 680 beating out the 7970.

you asked if it's worth it, and the 7970 or 670 is more "worth it" than the 680. sure, the 680 wins in most benchmarks, but can you tell the difference between an average of 90fps vs 85fps? no, your monitor's stuck on 60fps...
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 12:30:50 AM

I have the Asus Direct CU II GTX 680:

Sure, I have many games that this is overkill for, however I also have other games where I'm trying to get all the performance I can (and more demanding games are coming).

I would recommend a single GTX 680 to anyone, however I don't think I would recommend two. Some points:
1) two cards used in SLI cause micro-stutter
2) more heat and noise
3) can assign one card to PhysX but is that worth the extra noise/heat/price for the few games that benefit?

You can't go wrong with any of the high-end cards in general.

If you're an enthusiast get a non-reference card GTX 680 (better cooling and quality). If 3-slots is an issue there are other 2-slot solutions from other companies like MSI.

(If micro-stutter didn't exist I would have bought the GTX 690).
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 12:31:50 AM

I should add, I don't recommend a GTX 680 unless you have a CPU that is an i5-750 or better.

See Passmark benchmarks (google it) for result comparisons.
m
l
a c 158 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 12:34:09 AM

Overclocking and heat:
The 28nm process (die shrink) does mean that the transistors are closer together, however they are also more efficient so the overall heat density is not an issue.

In fact, the 28nm process overclocks much better than the previous process so that is a non-issue.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 12:35:46 AM

Anonymous_26 said:

The 7970GHZ edition and the vanilla 7970 are pretty much the same overclocked with cats 12.7 it beats out the GTX 680 overclocked as well, theres like a million reviews out there title "the 7970GHZ takes back the Crown". The TS obviously has the money so why not buy the fastest card!
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 12:36:04 AM

Anonymous_26 said:

were you using the previous benchmarks before the 12.7 drivers, or did you look at the ones post 12.7 drivers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-...

before 12.7, the 680 will win regardless, after 12.7 its more or less correct at its price point. 12.7 is a brand new driver, and it was only leaked like a week and a half ago. it was only publicly put on amds site like a few days ago.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 12:38:09 AM

AMD’s driver team deserves to take this weekend off. Its beta Catalyst 12.7 build does stellar things to the performance of several games in our benchmark suite. No longer is Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 670 faster than the Radeon HD 7970. And, in fact, these new drivers are largely responsible for the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition card outmaneuvering GeForce GTX 680 in most of the tests we ran.
m
l
July 2, 2012 1:47:48 AM

photonboy said:
I have the Asus Direct CU II GTX 680:

Sure, I have many games that this is overkill for, however I also have other games where I'm trying to get all the performance I can (and more demanding games are coming).

I would recommend a single GTX 680 to anyone, however I don't think I would recommend two. Some points:
1) two cards used in SLI cause micro-stutter
2) more heat and noise
3) can assign one card to PhysX but is that worth the extra noise/heat/price for the few games that benefit?

You can't go wrong with any of the high-end cards in general.

If you're an enthusiast get a non-reference card GTX 680 (better cooling and quality). If 3-slots is an issue there are other 2-slot solutions from other companies like MSI.

(If micro-stutter didn't exist I would have bought the GTX 690).

I have a custom waterloop on my computer so heat and noise won't matter. The fan and heatsink are coming off for a water block and heat will not be a problem. With that I'm not going to get a non reference card because it's easier to get waterblocks for reference boards.
m
l
July 2, 2012 1:49:00 AM

photonboy said:
I should add, I don't recommend a GTX 680 unless you have a CPU that is an i5-750 or better.

See Passmark benchmarks (google it) for result comparisons.

I have an I5 2500k overclock to 4.6 GHz. I don't think the CPU will be a problem
m
l
July 2, 2012 1:55:33 AM

dudewitbow said:
were you using the previous benchmarks before the 12.7 drivers, or did you look at the ones post 12.7 drivers.

before 12.7, the 680 will win regardless, after 12.7 its more or less correct at its price point. 12.7 is a brand new driver, and it was only leaked like a week and a half ago. it was only publicly put on amds site like a few days ago.

I guess before 12.7 beacuse all the benchmarks I saw had the GTX 680 winning in most games. From what I've read AMD has done nothing but try to start a GHz race. Thier card was slower so all they did was up the GHz to make it faster. Thats why you have these GHz edition cards.
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 2:09:05 AM

Anonymous_26 said:
I guess before 12.7 beacuse all the benchmarks I saw had the GTX 680 winning in most games. From what I've read AMD has done nothing but try to start a GHz race. Thier card was slower so all they did was up the GHz to make it faster. Thats why you have these GHz edition cards.

Actually, I believe AMD just took a different business approach to Nvidia. Remember that TSMC makes the waffers for both companies. Nvidia held back and waited until the 680 was just what they wanted them to be. I think AMD gave them a little more leniency and released their 7970 chips early. of course, the 28nm process is rapidly maturing and AMD noticed their chips are getting better, their first batch of 7970 chips were set to 1.17 to hit stock clocks (mine included). latter editions has the stock voltages adjusted to much lower. at some point they realized it was stupid that Nvidia's 680's beating the 7970 simply because the 7970 was underclocked for an early release, Nvidia's turbo thingy didn't help either... sooo, they clocked the 7970s to what they should've been clocked as to begin with and slapped on power-tune...

but yes, 12.7 makes the biggest difference
m
l
July 2, 2012 4:14:15 AM

So how do you know what you are getting, how do you know if you are getting one of the older under clocked 7000 series vs an upped 7000. If it says GHz edition?
m
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 4:18:08 AM

Anonymous_26 said:
So how do you know what you are getting, how do you know if you are getting one of the older under clocked 7000 series vs an upped 7000. If it says GHz edition?

I believe just about all of the first batch chips have sold out. they're not all that bad. I have one of the first batches of chips (bought mine the day the sapphire dualx came out in March), and it works and overclocks fine for my needs. Anyway, I believe if you buy a popular card, such as a reference card or a sapphire/XFX/msi cards (popular custom cards from big manufacturers), it'll most likely be from one of the newer batches of chips. at this point, you really only know once you get it, the clocks are the same, but while mine's at 1.17V stock, I've seen 1.12V stock, or 1.09V

the GHz edition are the cream of the crop. they bin the NEW processes for the good ones, and use those for the GHz edition. how much of a difference does it make? I have no idea

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 9:11:59 AM

Go 670 imo

Get gg aftermarket cooler (MSI TF4/ASUS DCII/WINDFORCE)

never look back
m
l
!