Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help choosing a GPU, Under 325

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 2, 2012 1:07:42 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-3 weeks BUDGET RANGE: $325 max (the less the better) After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (maxed out or as close as possible), surfing internet, possibly movies (not necessary).

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Building my first PC I got no GPU and I need a PSU based on how much watts the GPU needs

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU:Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W (haven't bought one)
MoBo: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard,
memory - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, ncix.com, microcenter, tigerdirect COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (in future)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 (Haven't picked one out, this will be the maximum though)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: lifetime warranty would be nice (if possible)

More about : choosing gpu 325

Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 1:22:01 AM

you can add $100 to that budget if you get an i5 instead. an i7 for gaming is unnecessary. a better GPU would substantially increase the performance in gaming.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 1:30:35 AM

Anonymous said:
you can add $100 to that budget if you get an i5 instead. an i7 for gaming is unnecessary. a better GPU would substantially increase the performance in gaming.

Hello, since I did not purchase the processor yet I made that an option so my budget is up to 300 for a GPU now.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 2, 2012 1:45:26 AM

Yesterday I saw the GTX 560 Ti on sale at Microcenter. You could run dual 560 Ti's for about $320. It'd cut your budget quite close, though.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 2:13:18 AM

derpaaa said:
Yesterday I saw the GTX 560 Ti on sale at Microcenter. You could run dual 560 Ti's for about $320. It'd cut your budget quite close, though.

Is this the best I can get for my $$?
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 3:11:52 AM

ok i'll give you 3 choices and let the "discussion" begin:
one of the cards you can get for less than $400 (which would be the GTX 670 @$400)
MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC $339.99
$319.99 after mail-in rebate card
MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC $299.99
$279.99 after mail-in rebate card
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC $259.99
MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC $309.99
Galaxy 57NKH3DH5PXK MDT X4 GeForce GTX 570 $269.99
$249.99 after mail-in rebate card

i cannot tell you if the 7870 can overclock and perform as well as the 7950 which would make it the best performing of the cards i posted. and there will be a debate between the lower priced 570 being able to keep up with a 7850 that can potentially overclock and be the best "value" card there.

i am just glad you opened up the budget so it can give you a lot better choices for your dollar.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 3:14:54 AM

600-700watt + HD Radeon 7850, will run great.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 3:27:59 AM

the recent price drops on the 7870 and the 7950 are pretty enticing. tis probably waiting for the gtx 660 to arrive and challenge it for its likely 300$ price point.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 3:37:05 AM

Anonymous said:
ok i'll give you 3 choices and let the "discussion" begin:
one of the cards you can get for less than $400 (which would be the GTX 670 @$400)
MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC $339.99
$319.99 after mail-in rebate card
MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC $299.99
$279.99 after mail-in rebate card
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC $259.99
MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC $309.99
Galaxy 57NKH3DH5PXK MDT X4 GeForce GTX 570 $269.99
$249.99 after mail-in rebate card

i cannot tell you if the 7870 can overclock and perform as well as the 7950 which would make it the best performing of the cards i posted. and there will be a debate between the lower priced 570 being able to keep up with a 7850 that can potentially overclock and be the best "value" card there.

i am just glad you opened up the budget so it can give you a lot better choices for your dollar.


The 7950 looks like a great option for me and it fits in my price range.

dudewitbow said:
the recent price drops on the 7870 and the 7950 are pretty enticing. tis probably waiting for the gtx 660 to arrive and challenge it for its likely 300$ price point.

What do you think the price will be for the gtx 660? Do you think I should wait or get the 7950?
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 3:40:03 AM

tt6414 said:
The 7950 looks like a great option for me and it fits in my price range.


What do you think the price will be for the gtx 660? Do you think I should wait or get the 7950?



if you can be patient between a month to 3 months at most(probably) it will come out somewhere between 290-330$ as nvidia has recently moved the gtx 570 from 300 to 270$ and the 580 isn't being produced anymore leaving a 130$ gap between the gtx 570 and that gtx 670. what I PERSONALLY think is going to happen is reference will be 300$, aftermarket versions will be 320-330$

edit: but theres no point in speculating, as i dont control anything of nvidia of course, and little is known about the cards true specs.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 3:56:00 AM

dudewitbow said:
if you can be patient between a month to 3 months at most(probably) it will come out somewhere between 290-330$ as nvidia has recently moved the gtx 570 from 300 to 270$ and the 580 isn't being produced anymore leaving a 130$ gap between the gtx 570 and that gtx 670. what I PERSONALLY think is going to happen is reference will be 300$, aftermarket versions will be 320-330$

edit: but theres no point in speculating, as i dont control anything of nvidia of course, and little is known about the cards true specs.

Do you think my other components posted above will also depreciate in value if I wait so my overall build would be cheaper or not really?
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 4:02:11 AM

tt6414 said:
Do you think my other components posted above will also depreciate in value if I wait so my overall build would be cheaper or not really?



nothing above will depreciate in value as of yet. i7-3770k stocks come and go, GPU prices already dropped as a whole(~20$ on most parts of the gpu pricing) and only low end mobo prices drop. because of how everyone likes how the sabertooth looks aesthetically rather than its performance to cost ratio, the price of it will not go down. its a popular board.

TL;DR, most of the parts you chose are extremely popular, thus the companies want to milk the popularity for $$$
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 4:07:59 AM

dudewitbow said:
nothing above will depreciate in value as of yet. i7-3770k stocks come and go, GPU prices already dropped as a whole(~20$ on most parts of the gpu pricing) and only low end mobo prices drop. because of how everyone likes how the sabertooth looks aesthetically rather than its performance to cost ratio, the price of it will not go down. its a popular board.

TL;DR, most of the parts you chose are extremely popular, thus the companies want to milk the popularity for $$$

Ok thank you, if everything goes as planned within the next two weeks I will get the 7950, if not I will probably wait to see the specs for the gtx 660. Now all I got to do is research a little more on the right network adapter for myself as well as PSU matching my video card. Do you recommend any PSU or a certain wattage for the specs above with a 7950?
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 4:15:53 AM

For reference for newly tested stuff, I will use toms power consumption test in the 7970 ghz testing



and the 7950 testing



it onyl hovers around the 250w as a whole, so a 500-550w can handle a single card probably, but if you have a high end build with a high end mobo, you can always pay a bit more now so you can crossfire later. a 700w would be the average psu for crossfiring.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 4:26:51 AM

dudewitbow said:
For reference for newly tested stuff, I will use toms power consumption test in the 7970 ghz testing

http://media.bestofmicro.com/9/Z/342503/original/average%20system%20load%20power.png

and the 7950 testing

http://media.bestofmicro.com/8/8/337256/original/D04%20Power%20Gaming%20Peak.png

it onyl hovers around the 250w as a whole, so a 500-550w can handle a single card probably, but if you have a high end build with a high end mobo, you can always pay a bit more now so you can crossfire later. a 700w would be the average psu for crossfiring.

Alright thank you, I'm going to look at a 700w PSU.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 4:34:04 AM

tt6414 said:
Alright thank you, I'm going to look at a 700w PSU.


be sure not to skim out on price. pay for a quality one. 700-750 is the recommended sli/crossfire psu range.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 4:35:47 AM

dudewitbow said:
be sure not to skim out on price. pay for a quality one. 700-750 is the recommended sli/crossfire psu range.

I wasn't planning on skimping out on the price but what would be a acceptable price range probably for a 700-750w?
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 4:38:37 AM

tt6414 said:
I wasn't planning on skimping out on the price but what would be a acceptable price range probably for a 700-750w?


Lower end 100-150$Higher end
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 4:41:23 AM

If all you're playing is Counter-Strike, you don't need anything close to a $300 card, a 570 or 560ti would put your FPS through the roof. Who needs 150-200fps??
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 5:27:27 AM

tt6414 said:
I wasn't planning on skimping out on the price but what would be a acceptable price range probably for a 700-750w?

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W $109.99
$89.99 after mail-in rebate card
there are other good PSUs but i like:
Legendary Silencer Series with 7 Year Warranty
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 5:33:21 AM

Anonymous said:
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W $109.99
$89.99 after mail-in rebate card
there are other good PSUs but i like:
Legendary Silencer Series with 7 Year Warranty



if you want to get real specific, the MKII and MKIII series isnt as great as the original which had gained that name from.

the original was Seasonic Made. the MKII is sirtec made. MKIII is seasonic, but the highest wattage is only 600, and the upcoming MKIII 1200w according to realhardtechx is superflower made.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 6:35:47 AM

dudewitbow said:
if you want to get real specific, the MKII and MKIII series isnt as great as the original which had gained that name from.

the original was Seasonic Made. the MKII is sirtec made. MKIII is seasonic, but the highest wattage is only 600, and the upcoming MKIII 1200w according to realhardtechx is superflower made.

now that is completely irritating.
you looking for a cookie or something?

and it reviewed just dandy on hardware secrets :p 
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/PC-Power-and-Coo...
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 6:50:43 AM

Anonymous said:
now that is completely irritating.
you looking for a cookie or something?

and it reviewed just dandy on hardware secrets :p 
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/PC-Power-and-Coo...



i mean theres nothing wrong with it. You can compare the silencer to the MKII

the original received far more golds, reviews and such, and its what started the "legendary" silencer series. and one was to pull the seasonic card, people tend to like seasonic brand psus.
m
0
l
!