philipemad

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Hi, I'm currently planning to build a rig and so far I've picked those components

Corsair CX750 PSU Builder Series 750W
Noctua Nh-D14 CPU cooler
Corsair vengeance low profile 1600mhz 8GB (4*2)
Seagate barracuda 2tb 7200rpm 17.14

Now things I'm not sure of, I'm planning on overclocking obviously that's why I picked the noctua

Motherboards: :S
-Asus Sabertooth z77 (great durability and 5 year warranty)
-Asus Maximus V GENE (great overclocker and great audio but mATX)
-Gigabyte g1 sniper m3( Didnt see too many reviews about so dont know)
-Gigabyte GA-z77x-UD3H (cheapest of them but an entry based motherboard).

I am neglecting any brands such as asrock and msi as I heard those arent very good

I will be running a single gpu at the moment but in the future i might crossfire it

Processors:

Now I've got 3 choices
-i5 3570k
-i5 2500k
-wait for the 4th gen intel processor

now usually i would go with 3570k because i'm getting a pci-e 3.0 gpu and mobo but I heard that ivy heats up more than sandy and also the cheap thermal paste they use on the die as opposed to soldering on the 2500k

GPU:

Again 3 choices
-sapphire 7970 oc 3gb dual-x
-evga gtx 680 superclocked signature series 2gb
-wait for the upcoming line of kepler gk110

The reason i'm considering waiting is because I'm not in a rush but I will buy the components by july before I travel

Now the question is : IS pcie 3.0 worth it, I mean should i neglect the troublesome IB and go with sandy but is pci e 2.0?

Thanks for an help
Philip

If you are looking to buy in July don't make up your mind right now on the components. When it comes to technology to many things change in 6 months.

As far as PCI-e 3.0 goes while there are items that list they are using PCI-e 3.0 almost nothing is really using the bandwidth that it provides. The real value for the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K is in the improvement in the IPC and the better performance. So while you may not be able to overclock the Intel Core i5-3570K as high as the Intel Core i5-2500K the performance can even them out. In the end the improvements end up giving Intel Core i5-3570K at least a tie for performance or better.

Thehairyosama

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Okay go with a I5 3570K get a corsair h100i and overclock the I5 to 4ghz. (now that cpu will need aboyt £1400 of graphic processing power to even start to bottleneck) For the mobo get the sabretooth z77 that is one future proof mobo. Then get a 680 or 670 i have a evga 680 sc its beast.

Haswell is most likely launching in june so MOBO and CPU can wait.

The the next 700 series by Nvidia and the next 8000 series by AMD will probably also launch their flagship GPUs before July. It's over a year ago AMD launched the 7970, so we will most likely see the 8970 soon.

My point is - When you anyways are going to buy in about a half year, then wait and see what the future brings.

philipemad

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

I heard that nvidia will release their next line of gpus in Q2 2013

My question is
-Will the new series flagship, say the 780 will be similarily priced to the current 680
-After their release will there be any price drops on the 680?

Thanks for your reply

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Chances are Nvidia will price the 780 at the same price or above the 680s launch price. So the 780 will probably be 500-600$ I'm guessing. And after it releases, looking back in Nvidias history, the prices for the previous gen cards will drop maybe 1-2 months later. I say you should wait and get the newest and more advanced tech. If you're someone like me you will be sad buying your parts and then watching the new and shinny tech be released a couple months later, especially if there are big improvements. I expect Nvidias new 700 series to be pretty impressive. I hope they advance as much as they did in the last gen. Intel though, I'm not too sure about. I read a article on here tonight that Intel invested 4.1 Billion $$$ on Haswell. That gives me hope, but the fact that there was very little CPU performance gains with SB to IB, I'm not sure. Either way, I'd say wait.

EDIT: I forgot about AMD GPUs. They should be released VERY soon as AMD is already done the mobile version of the 8870 I believe it was. AMD gave one to Tom's and let them play around with it.