Jul 1, 2012
My System:

Motherboard: AMD 990FXA-UD3
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 7850 OC edition.
CPU: Amd 1090t Black adition
RAM: 4sticks of 2GB
PSU: TX750 Corsair
HDD: 1tb Seagate 7200RPM

My problem has been happening the last two weeks. What's been happening is that after maybe 20min to 1h of game play my PC screen will go black and either I will hear sound from my game or music, or I will hear a buzzing noise then it will stop sometimes. I am forced to do a hard reset on my PC. I only play Dota 2 and BF3.

What Ive tried so far.
- Testing my Ram with Memtest86 for about 8hrs. Found no problem and used the windows diagnostic memory.
- Testing my CPU with Prime95 for about 2h No problems.
- Tested my GPU with Furmark for 2h No problems.
- Tested my PSU with a PSU tester bought from store called Coolmax the voltages were fine.
- Tested my HDD no problems (forget what program)
- Reformatted still have had problems.
- Updated all my drivers.
- Uninstalled Video card drivers and reinstalled them.
- Disable onboard sound and still happened.

Now I am lost out of things to try. Ive googled a lot about this problem and seem to find no fixes that work for me. What else can I do.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Are you overclocking your GPU? I can run my 6950 at 960 core clock all day in stress testing applications, but it crashes in 5 minutes in any game at clocks over 940. Results are pretty much exactly what you describe. Screen goes black, audio loops (sounds like buzzing, but it's really just a short clip looping infinitely).

dawidlp

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hi,

I think your problem is related to Gigabyte 7850 OC card. I also bought it recently for my new pc set and I'm having the same problem as you. It crashes randomly but mostly when I play BF3. At first I thought it was related to my mb (also gigabyte) but I searched other forums and found more people having this problem with the 7850. I'm still trying to resolve this issue - I've found that someone recommends adding more voltage through Catalyst Overdrive panel. I'll try this today and hope this will work. THIS MAY DAMAGE YOUR CARD - do it on your own responsibility.

dawidlp

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
So today I tested my old 4850 card and didn't notice any freezes. Then I went back with Gigabyte 7850 OC and turned up voltage in Catalyst Overdrive with 20%. That still gave me freezes. So I turned down card's clock to 900MHz and no freezes so far. I think that those OC'ed cards are poor quality boards and they simply cannot hold so high clock values.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
The 20% extra voltage isn't what you think it is. If I'm not mistaken, it simply allows the GPU to pull additional power when necessary. What you need to do is get something like MSI Afterburner, unlock the voltage control and manually increase the voltage on the card.

Kynttila

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

Hey, how has the card worked so far, after you clocked it down ?

I got exactly the same problem with my 7850. My monitors go black or random lines show up on them and sound is either buzzy or the normal on-going sound from the system, then it stops after a while and locks up. I got them a lot on my previous GPU which was a 6870, facility overclocked to 915 so i took it to my retailer and they proved it broken. I bought a 7850 instead and now after a month i got the same problem as with the HD 6870. And the 7850 itself is making buzzy sounds even the temperatures are low according to CPUID Hardware Monitor.

Could the reason be my PSU ?

delboyd

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Not sure if I'm allowed to bump an old post like this, but I'm also having this problem with my system. I have the exact same card (GB 7850 OC) and whenever the GPU is under high load I get loud buzzing with screen going black. I have to then press reset button on my case. So far I've replaced my PSU, my case and am starting to suspect it's the graphics card. Contacted Gigabyte and they simply told me to either send it for RMA or flash a new BIOS to the thing. However I'm worried this could damage the card. What are the chances of this?