BoRealBobadilla

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hey guys I'm trying to decide on a GPU for my build...

Processor: Intel i7 Core-3770K LGA1155
Mobo: Maximus V Formula Z77 Chipset (waiting on release)
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 2100MHz and 1.5V
PSU: Corsair (waiting to determine wattage)
Hard Drives: 60GB SSD and 1TB HDD (Probably Western Digital, maybe Barracuda)
Cooling System: It's going to be a custom liquid setup, haven't made it yet
Optical Drives: 12x Blu-Ray burner + 52x CD burner (with 24x DVD-R burning)
GPU: Was going to go with on-board for now, but if I can get it cheap enough I would like an adequate GPU and I can just add the wattage to my PSU, and while I'm building my liquid system I'll just throw in a GPU block and an extra radiator
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

Alright guys, so I'm not looking to do much gaming with this computer. Basically what I do is: run a small business for computer repair, do a LOT of encoding and decoding video (hence the CPU), multi-task (like a boss), and a LOT, I mean a LOT of file transfer. In addition, I also do a lot of burning media for a friend's group but this effects my GPU in almost no way.

Anyways, I want to try and get a GPU for cheap. It doesn't need all the bells and whistles, it doesn't have to run 3D or in SLI or CrossFire. I just need it to be able to output at 1080p (and lower, of course), so that I can watch my movies in HD and also so I can burn HD movies without a crap-ton of A/V lag.

Let me know what you guys think; I'd say that if possible I would like to go somewhere around $80 - $120 (I know it's low, but I'm running out of money). Also, in that budget, the GPU block and extra wattage are not added, that price is for the GPU alone.

ANY information about this would be SOOOOOO helpful, because I am a total newbie when it comes to GPUs; I usually only deal with CPUs, and drives.

Thanks

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I think you may like a hd7750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161403
for $99($89 after rebate)

or get a hd 7770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102967

for $120(after rebate), should be better for video processing.

Both these cards run cool, consume less power than any other gpus and more importantly will get the job done for you for less $$.

Just a question if your not gaming, why on earth would you get a maximas motherboard? Its only needed for high overclocking. If your not interested in overclocking your cpu to 4.5+, then you are better off with a cheaper Asus p8z77-v or p8z77-lx.

G

well you have graphics that can do what you require:
Intel® HD Graphics 4000
it will support up to 3 displays depending on the display outputs of your motherboard. and burning movies is a CPU intensive task so no matter what GPU you have, it will make no difference.

i have to ask, why are you getting a "gamers" motherboard when it might be better spent toward a "workstation" board?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
do a LOT of encoding and decoding video (hence the CPU)

If you get a good GPU and use CUDA, you'll be able to encode/decode (depending on the software and codecs/files) in the fraction of the time then you will if you use just your CPU.

If you do a lot of it, a CUDA GPU is probably the best investment I'd suggest making.

BoRealBobadilla

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hey guys! Thanks for all the responses!!

So.. after looking into all of your suggestions I am now teetering on changing motherboards......I am looking at the P8Z77-V Premium, and Deluxe as other options. I like the Premium because of the on-board SSD but it is much more expensive.... (but it has Thunderbolt too!). Anyways, I've decided that I'm going to get a GPU after reading what you've all said.

Now, I have some questions for the community about GPUs, since that what this thread is all about. First off, if I get a card, is it a good thing to get a stealth card and run it in conjunction with my on-board GPU, or is that method considered garbage in comparison to using a regular GPU?

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012

I have to agree with blackhawk on this one, since you are going to do a lot of encoding you should get a gpu with cuda technology. It will make the process 10x faster. Consider getting either the nvidia gtx 550 ti ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625) or the gtx 560 ti( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604). Both have cuda processors but 560 ti has twice as much as the 550 ti (384 vs 192 cuda cores).

There is no point of running your gpu in conjunction with on board graphics since you can actually benefit from your gpu while encoding and also I am not a huge fan of intel hd series graphics. I've had some bad experiences on more than one occasion with those.

BoRealBobadilla

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks, I didn't even know about CUDA before this post. I looked up some info. on it, and it looks like it could be really useful and powerful.

Thanks for the info. on the stealth card too, looks like I won't be doing that.

So it;s settled I'm going to check my budget to see if I can fit the 560 ti in, and if not, the 550 ti.

With that, will the fans be adequate or should I install a waterblock on this as well?

BoRealBobadilla

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Sorry looniam I worded that badly. I mean the 480 which has 480, not 400. I just didn't know which to go with because so many people recommended the 480 to me. Looks like I'm going with the 560 ti 448 though