[CPU/Cooler] Core temp going above 70 in under 5 seconds. HELP!

logdog16

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hello,

I am brand new to building PC's (used to be a Mac guy need more speed now) I just built a Core i7 3770K rig yesterday, however I have a slight problem. Whenever I have ANY CPU load my CPU fan shoots up. I opened up Speedfan when I was in Blender and saw that at 100 CPU percent load it got up to 76C for my hottest core temp from the 36C it was idling at after about 5 seconds. I have not yet overclocked the system. Could this mean I installed my thermal paste wrong? When I originally installed it I used the line method with Arctic Silver 5. My heatsink is a Zalman.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
i suspected that...i think you are pretty well set as far as temps go. nothing to worry about. A better HSF would bring the cpu temps down a bit more.

Ivy's have a higher tj Max compared to sandy bridge so you should be okay. I prefer to keep my sandy below 75C as i run a stock heatsink and compound(which are indeed quiet capable) but easily hit 76-78C running Folding@Home at stock speed 3.1Ghz without turbo boost.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
i suspected that...i think you are pretty well set as far as temps go. nothing to worry about. A better HSF would bring the cpu temps down a bit more.

Ivy's have a higher tj Max compared to sandy bridge so you should be okay. I prefer to keep my sandy below 75C as i run a stock heatsink and compound(which are indeed quiet capable) but easily hit 76-78C running Folding@Home at stock speed 3.1Ghz without turbo boost.

Solution