Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Time Build. Need Tips and Suggestions!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 20, 2012 10:36:20 PM

Hi, my name is Matt and I am going to be starting College again very soon and could use a new computer that isn't my 5 year old Toshiba Laptop. I have decided to build a gaming PC as I play games on a daily basis and I'm sure that I will love to get back into PC gaming. I used to be exclusively PC but my family fell on hard times and I was unable to upgrade. My computer fell into disrepair and I went and bought a console. Consoles are fun, don't get me wrong, but they simply cannot match the power of a custom built machine. Here are the specs on the PC I am looking to purchase.

Case: Antec 900 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CD Drive: LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am on the ropes about which Hard Drive to purchase and would love any suggestions. I AM interested in Hybrid Drives but not really into solid states. Also, if I missed anything that is vital to the computer I would LOVE to know. I am looking for a monitor and keyboard/mouse right now.

All in all, I just want to make sure that everything works together and that I am getting the best bang for my buck that will last me several years and can play most games that come out during that time. I also want to mention how grateful I am for any help that I may receive. I know you guys could just brush this off and not respond so I will be thrilled with any tips I get. I hope to read your responses soon!

More about : time build tips suggestions

August 20, 2012 11:09:05 PM

nukilator said:
Hi, my name is Matt and I am going to be starting College again very soon and could use a new computer that isn't my 5 year old Toshiba Laptop. I have decided to build a gaming PC as I play games on a daily basis and I'm sure that I will love to get back into PC gaming. I used to be exclusively PC but my family fell on hard times and I was unable to upgrade. My computer fell into disrepair and I went and bought a console. Consoles are fun, don't get me wrong, but they simply cannot match the power of a custom built machine. Here are the specs on the PC I am looking to purchase.

Case: Antec 900 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CD Drive: LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am on the ropes about which Hard Drive to purchase and would love any suggestions. I AM interested in Hybrid Drives but not really into solid states. Also, if I missed anything that is vital to the computer I would LOVE to know. I am looking for a monitor and keyboard/mouse right now.

All in all, I just want to make sure that everything works together and that I am getting the best bang for my buck that will last me several years and can play most games that come out during that time. I also want to mention how grateful I am for any help that I may receive. I know you guys could just brush this off and not respond so I will be thrilled with any tips I get. I hope to read your responses soon!

That build needs help. For the money you have sunk into that board and psu you could easily step up into a GTX 660 ti or 7870 and that case has horrid cable management.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... <------ What's your budget, do you need Windows, your resolution or do you need a monitor, etc...
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 11:42:48 PM

Sorry, I must not have seen that thread. My apologies for not providing sufficient information. I will fill out the rest of that threads suggestion here.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next two weeks
Budget Range: $1500 MAX
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, then school. (I got my priorities straight lol)
Parts Not Required:
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Tiger Direct, Amazon, Microcenter
Country: United States
Parts Preferences: Whatever is the best quality
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Additional Comments: I would like to try and keep the case at a Mid Tower because of space limitations in my room. Also wanted to say thank your for replying and I apologize again for the undesirable layout of the post.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 21, 2012 12:27:13 AM

nukilator said:
Sorry, I must not have seen that thread. My apologies for not providing sufficient information. I will fill out the rest of that threads suggestion here.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next two weeks
Budget Range: $1500 MAX
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, then school. (I got my priorities straight lol)
Parts Not Required:
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Tiger Direct, Amazon, Microcenter
Country: United States
Parts Preferences: Whatever is the best quality
Overclocking: No
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Additional Comments: I would like to try and keep the case at a Mid Tower because of space limitations in my room. Also wanted to say thank your for replying and I apologize again for the undesirable layout of the post.

I see you where you checked; No on the over clocking and future second video card but I'l post two builds on here just to give you that second option to look at.

Here's build components with the option to add a second card later and allows you to over clock your cpu if you ever get the bug. These are some items to play with that not only will cut the cost down but put you into a better graphics card and an SSD.


http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Tower-Gaming-Comp... $94.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - CC-9011011-WW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99 - $79.99 after $20.00 rebate FREE SHIPPING 15% off w/ promo code Corsair15PSU, ends 8/22
CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

or...

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-PRO750W-Semi-Modular-80Plus-S... $111.71 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $101.71
XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus 750 Watt Power Supply (Silver)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $354.98 save: $25.00 - $20.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=ox_sc_a... $33.49 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-Extreme-Masters-PC... $44.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Patriot Memory Intel Extreme Masters 8 GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit - PVI38G160C9K

or....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern... $86.63 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

or...

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Internal-D... $109.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-B... $20.96 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)


http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D28482... <------ GTX 660 ti's @ Amazon

or...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-ali... <----- 7870's @ Amazon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $94.99 FREE SHIPPING
SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil... $90.30 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

http://www.amazon.com/VS228H-P-21-5-Inch-Full-HD-Monito... $136.40 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor (Black) | 5ms; 50,000,000:1 ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio; Full 1080P with HDMI

http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS228HP/#overv... <----- another look at that monitor

http://www.asus.com/Display/Features/Splendid_Technolog... <----- ASUS Splendid Technology
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 12:57:22 AM

Really good suggestions "Why_Me" I was looking at the NZXT Phantom and might change it to the Corsair. You might want to look at getting 16GB Ram, the standard 4 yrs ago for gaming rigs was 4GB now it is 8GB. I would also go with the corsair or GSkill as they are known as gaming Ram modules.
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 2:17:01 AM

Thanks for your lengthy post full of great suggestions! I will look through and see what I can come up with. And, Sikko, I will definitely consider it!
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 9:42:08 PM

While looking at memory on Newegg yesterday I watched a video for Ram-Disk. You download a program and can use your Ram like an SSD drive if you have 16GB split it down to 8GB and you would have enough to put your OS on it or maybe a game instead. I have not completed any research on how well the Ram holds the programs on it though. While setting up the Ram-Disk you are given an option to save the program after you shut your computer down.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 9:46:00 PM

Check out my $1100 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore

I'd have to say that you don't quite need to spend more than $850 in the case of your request. Honestly $850 will do you quite well but the $1100 build I have in that link would be fine for a really long time.
m
0
l
August 24, 2012 10:31:58 PM

SikkoB said:
While looking at memory on Newegg yesterday I watched a video for Ram-Disk. You download a program and can use your Ram like an SSD drive if you have 16GB split it down to 8GB and you would have enough to put your OS on it or maybe a game instead. I have not completed any research on how well the Ram holds the programs on it though. While setting up the Ram-Disk you are given an option to save the program after you shut your computer down.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-... <-----SSD caching.




m
0
l
August 25, 2012 3:09:59 PM

Thank you for the link Why_Me

After I posted I checked out the file size for Windows...13+ GB. Well nevermind about putting an OS when buying 16 GB ram, need 32GB.

Still look into an SSD, some companies are offering 120GB for about $90.
m
0
l
!