Sign in with
Your question

Which CPU for Gaming? AMD FX-6300 or AMD FX-8120?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2013 4:22:56 PM

Please read my entire post before posting!

Hi,

Its my first time building a computer, and I need help deciding which of the 2 processors to get. Mainly, if its worth saving money and going with the 8120 or if theres a big enough difference to warrent the 6300. PLEASE NOTE that the 8120 comes with a better (i think?) mobo. More details below:

I'm a gamer. I play games like Guild Wars 2, BF3, and am looking forward to 2013 releases like Total War: Rome, or RPG openworld games like Tomb Raider.

I was already set to buy the FX-6300 with an ASRock 970 Extreme3 mobo, but then I came across a bundled deal at NCIX.com for something different.

I can get a better mobo (Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard) bundled with the AMD FX-8120 for $229.99. The 6300 with the ASRock 970 will cost me $222.94.

For my gaming needs, which bundle should I get? If I were to get the 6300 AND the Asus EVO then that would cost me about $60 more ($40 after rebate). I am on a tight budget, but if its far and away the best option that blows the other 2 out of the water, then I will consider it based on your opinons.

But PLEASE do NOT make this into an Intel vs AMD suggestion thread. I've already decided that its between these products.

Thanks ahead of time for all your help guys! :) 

EDIT: In case it makes a difference, I am buying a XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card to go with this setup. I would like to avoid any bottlenecks.

Thanks again!
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 5:30:02 PM

The 6300 is a generation newer, and the bump between bulldozer and piledriver was a nice one. The 8120 has 1 more module(2 more cores), but it's clocker lower, has lower IPC and uses more wattage. There will certainly be some games which will like the extra module, but on the whole the 6300 is a far better choice for gaming.
Here's a comparison of the 6300 vs the 8150 (which is clocked a bit higher than the 8120). http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=699

These chips are unlocked, so you should seriously consider overclocking them for more performance, especially the 8120 (even if it will chug a lot of power).

Intel generally beats AMD for gaming these days, but the 6300 is perhaps their best offering as far as bang for buck for gaming goes. It will beat the i3s in some games and lose in others. I imagine it will age better though.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 5:48:33 PM

grumbledook said:
The 6300 is a generation newer, and the bump between bulldozer and piledriver was a nice one. The 8120 has 1 more module(2 more cores), but it's clocker lower, has lower IPC and uses more wattage. There will certainly be some games which will like the extra module, but on the whole the 6300 is a far better choice for gaming.
Here's a comparison of the 6300 vs the 8150 (which is clocked a bit higher than the 8120). http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=699

These chips are unlocked, so you should seriously consider overclocking them for more performance, especially the 8120 (even if it will chug a lot of power).

Intel generally beats AMD for gaming these days, but the 6300 is perhaps their best offering as far as bang for buck for gaming goes. It will beat the i3s in some games and lose in others. I imagine it will age better though.

I see. What are your opinions on the motherboards? Would a better motherboard even the difference between the 2 CPUs? Is it even that much better a motherboard?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 6:19:20 PM

I agree that the FX 6300 is the better choice between those 2 cpus.

As for the motherboards, both are excellent choices. There are only 2 major differences between the 2: you can Crossfire/sli with the Asus and the Asus has USB 3.0 headers for a case with USB 3.0 ports in the front. So, if crossfire/sli is important to you then go with the Asus. If you have/will have a case with front USB 3.0 ports then go with the Asus. There are other minor differences between the boards, but nothing major. I don't have any experience with either Asrock or Asus, but both boards seem to be good quality.
m
l
January 4, 2013 6:30:43 PM

I recently built a computer with a FX-8320 and the ASRock 970. I would suggest the 6300 and the ASRock because Piledriver is proven to be better than Bulldozer in performance. If it's the ASRock 970 Extreme4 that you are looking at, than that mobo is better for troubleshooting because it has a 2-digit display on the board for POST issues.

When I built my computer it wouldn't POST but because of the error code and guide in the manual, I was able to solve my problem very quickly. (RAM wasn't fully inserted)

Edit: NVM it's the Extreme3 that you are looking at. Although the extra money for the Extreme4 would be worth it because of troubleshooting ease and SLI/Crossfire capability.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 10:03:29 PM

FX 6300 - It's a no-brainer

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-a...

AMD does actually now give Intel a Little competition. The old bulldozer archtitecture even got beaten by Intel's Pentium lineup. Now AMD beats their entire i3 lineup and some of the old i5 and i7. Though Intel still has the best single thread performance.
m
l
!