Some really basic knowledge needed

capn-gary

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I just completed the build of my desktop, and I have some questions that are pretty simple and basic, but I haven't found answers for on AMD's site (the thermal information they had FAQs for was last updated in 2003!)

Anyway, what kind of temperatures can I expect from my FX-8350 CPU at idle and then at 100% usage? I have an Antec 620 liquid cooling system installed.

Right now, I'm using Hwinfo64 and it tells me that I'm idling around 28 degrees, and that the CPU is going to about 48 degrees C when I start doing a render which is taking all 8 cores of the CPU to 98-100% usage. I am not overclocking at all, but I have enabled the turbo mode, which takes the CPU to 4.119MHz when I'm doing a render.

Next question (s): What are the other temperature sensors? They're listed as 'motherboard' which seems to stay around 40 degrees C, and Temp 3 which went from 27 degrees to 60 degrees C after the render had been running a while.

There's also a "CPU 0" temperature which went from 20 degrees C and is now hovering at about 48.8 degrees C during a render. They also show the wattage as maxing out at 46 W, and it's averaging about 35.9 watts during the render.

I have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 motherboard, and can turn on CPU temperature warnings, etc., which I'd like to do, but I have no idea what temperatures are safe and what is too much.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

Solution
In general for AMD cpus you don't want to exceed around 60c - 65c at max load.

I am using an athlon 2 x3 (an aging and less power hungry proc than yours) and it never breaks over 35c with my hyper 212 evo. Even during prime95.

kodster8912

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Considering you have the higher model up for processor from me I guess those would be considered normal temps. I have an H100i on my FX-4100 I idle at about 8-14*C and then when ever I play games like Battlefield or Render I get temps of about 20*C-25*C.

MC_K7

Distinguished
They look like normal temps. I think most modern CPUs (Intel or AMD) will automatically shutdown around 95C or 100C so you're far away from this.

I don't know if you have a video card but did you check the temps as well? Usually the most important temps are CPU and GPU.

capn-gary

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
The graphics board is idling, because I can't get Lux Render to use it without crashing. That's a Lux Render problem, and I just haven't had time to find out from them what they think might be causing the problem.

The GPU is running at 30 degrees C.

In general for AMD cpus you don't want to exceed around 60c - 65c at max load.

I am using an athlon 2 x3 (an aging and less power hungry proc than yours) and it never breaks over 35c with my hyper 212 evo. Even during prime95.

Solution