Sign in with
Your question

Using a proper CPU with bad Mobo

Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2013 4:34:53 PM

Hello, I have a question
Would putting i5 3470 CPU with P8H61-M LX3 Mobo cause any performance decrease? My fiend told me that Mobo was meant for Pentium processors and Sandy's i3's but not i5, and that it doesn't "support turbo boost"
How valid is this? Thank you.

More about : proper cpu bad mobo

a c 159 à CPUs
January 4, 2013 5:21:13 PM

I use the B3 version of that board, and a bios flash will permit you to run most of the 1155 cpus. Performance is less due to the lack of overclocking with the h61 chipset. My board has a turbo setting, but I didn't notice any performance gain, so I set it back to default settings. You'll need to flash the bios with a sandy bridge cpu just to post with ivy bridge, unless the board just came off the asus line. I recommend a newer H77 or B75 chipset board, which should work without a bios flash.
January 4, 2013 6:37:13 PM

o1die said:
I use the B3 version of that board, and a bios flash will permit you to run most of the 1155 cpus. Performance is less due to the lack of overclocking with the h61 chipset. My board has a turbo setting, but I didn't notice any performance gain, so I set it back to default settings. You'll need to flash the bios with a sandy bridge cpu just to post with ivy bridge, unless the board just came off the asus line. I recommend a newer H77 or B75 chipset board, which should work without a bios flash.

Thanks for replying
Asus P8B75-M LE < Would this motherboard need flashing?
also if I'm not planning to overclock, will stock cooler for i5 3470 and GTX 650 2GB do? Thanks.
Related resources
January 4, 2013 6:48:53 PM

am0n said:
Thanks for replying
Asus P8B75-M LE < Would this motherboard need flashing?

No, that one is fine, is a newer and more expensive chipset.
am0n said:
also if I'm not planning to overclock, will stock cooler for i5 3470 and GTX 650 2GB do? Thanks.

Do what? :na: 
January 4, 2013 7:30:20 PM

nconde25 said:
No, that one is fine, is a newer and more expensive chipset.

Do what? :na: 

Ha sorry, I'm a fool, I meant would I need to put extra coolers?
a c 159 à CPUs
January 4, 2013 7:49:14 PM

No. Use the stock Intel heatsink, since you won't be overclocking. Mine works fine. Temp range is about 35-60c.
January 4, 2013 7:51:43 PM

Thank you!
!