Fan speed?

I hope this is the right place for this question. I just got my new pc today and after removing the internal packaging i noticed the 2 case fans ( Top and rear), had a switch on them for which i can only presume is the fan speed Low, Med, High.

With the below specs what setting would you guys suggest i should have the fans on. Currently I have it set to medium.

System Specification
- Case: Antec 300 Gaming Case - Black
- Power Supply: Corsair GS 600w PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz
- Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
- Cooler: Stock CPU Cooler
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: 500GB HDD
- Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 7870 2gb ghz edition
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK 24x DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

Im not some sort of genius and do not know what temps are safe nor do i know how to monitor them so please use simple terms as I am still learning the ropes.
6 answers Last reply
More about speed
  1. The easy way: just listen to the cpu fan. If it gets loud under load, set the top fan to max first. If it doesn't get loud, set the case fans to low.
  2. use something like real temp to check the temperature of the cpu

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

ideally to get the best from your 3570k you should have got an aftermarket heatsink

if not going to overclock it then you didnt need a k version cpu
  3. Thanks for the reply noidea_77. Sorry if this sounds a stupid question. But i'm presuming the one fans pulls air from the case and one blows air in for better airflow?

In reply to mcnumpty23, I bought the K version so I could overclock the cpu when i needed to. And when I decide to, I will obviously buy a decent heatsink. I was told by OCUK who built the machine that a stock cooler was capable of keep the cpu cool.
  4. both the fans are exhaust--both suck air out of the case

surprisingly there doesnt seem to be a front or side fan unless you add them yourself

yes the stock cooler if properly fitted will cool it ok

and may even be ok for a mild overclock--depending on temperatures
  5. Thanks for the super fast reply. That's cool. The K version was only and extra £5 so I couldn't pas it up. I wouldn't dare overclock without atleast a half decent heatsink.

Also because both fans are exhausts. Would putting a front fan which pulls air in drop my temps/keep them more stable. I could pick a fan up quite cheap.
  6. adding a front fan and or a side fan would help lower temps

may also mean you can run the fans at the lower speed as you will be drawing in more cooler air
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components