Sign in with
Your question

Fan speed?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 4, 2013 5:25:56 PM

I hope this is the right place for this question. I just got my new pc today and after removing the internal packaging i noticed the 2 case fans ( Top and rear), had a switch on them for which i can only presume is the fan speed Low, Med, High.

With the below specs what setting would you guys suggest i should have the fans on. Currently I have it set to medium.

System Specification
- Case: Antec 300 Gaming Case - Black
- Power Supply: Corsair GS 600w PSU
- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40GHz
- Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
- Cooler: Stock CPU Cooler
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: 500GB HDD
- Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 7870 2gb ghz edition
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK 24x DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

Im not some sort of genius and do not know what temps are safe nor do i know how to monitor them so please use simple terms as I am still learning the ropes.

More about : fan speed

a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 7:39:06 PM

The easy way: just listen to the cpu fan. If it gets loud under load, set the top fan to max first. If it doesn't get loud, set the case fans to low.
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 8:01:53 PM

use something like real temp to check the temperature of the cpu

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

ideally to get the best from your 3570k you should have got an aftermarket heatsink

if not going to overclock it then you didnt need a k version cpu
Related resources
January 4, 2013 8:11:09 PM

Thanks for the reply noidea_77. Sorry if this sounds a stupid question. But i'm presuming the one fans pulls air from the case and one blows air in for better airflow?

In reply to mcnumpty23, I bought the K version so I could overclock the cpu when i needed to. And when I decide to, I will obviously buy a decent heatsink. I was told by OCUK who built the machine that a stock cooler was capable of keep the cpu cool.

a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 8:21:44 PM

both the fans are exhaust--both suck air out of the case

surprisingly there doesnt seem to be a front or side fan unless you add them yourself

yes the stock cooler if properly fitted will cool it ok

and may even be ok for a mild overclock--depending on temperatures
January 4, 2013 8:25:31 PM

Thanks for the super fast reply. That's cool. The K version was only and extra £5 so I couldn't pas it up. I wouldn't dare overclock without atleast a half decent heatsink.

Also because both fans are exhausts. Would putting a front fan which pulls air in drop my temps/keep them more stable. I could pick a fan up quite cheap.
a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2013 8:35:00 PM

adding a front fan and or a side fan would help lower temps

may also mean you can run the fans at the lower speed as you will be drawing in more cooler air
!