Sign in with
Your question

Optimal cpu/gpu temperatures?

Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2013 5:49:51 PM

Hi all,

I have an overclocked i7 3770K to 4.6 ghz, using CPUID Hardware monitor I am getting around 40C package temperature when just browsing the net and nothing else. Playing Farcry 3 It goes up to 50-55C. I'm playing the game on Ultra.

My Nvidia GTX 660Ti is idling around 40C on the desktop but ramping up to about 78C when playing farcry 3. I'm getting 60fps at all times so it doesn't seem to be struggling or anything....

Anyway I was just wondering what is the max temp for the 660Ti and my i7? I will monitor it when playing graphic heavy games but I need to know when enough is enough and turn the damn thing off!

Any help would be great

Thanks

Chris
January 4, 2013 6:43:44 PM

50-55C at load is actually very good for a 3770k with that overclock.
The 3770k has a maximum temp of 105C (I believe this is true for all Ivybridge) but personally wouldn't run it over 80C for very long. People also claim it starts throttling around 90C

Generally I look at it like this for Ivybridge (temps on full load)
<60 = good
60-70 = Running a bit warm, but stable
70-80 = Uncomfortable, but stable. Maybe consider better cooling at some point.
80+ I start to worry

As for the 660ti I'm not sure. Graphics cards generally run a bit hotter than CPU's though so 78C doesn't sound bad to me.
January 4, 2013 6:55:21 PM

Cheers for the quick reply, that has allieveated some worry for me for now! If anybody knows the optimum and max temps for the gtx 660Ti that would be great to know. Especially with some demanding games coming out soon like Crysis 3 and Metro 2034. Would be good to know how far I can push my new PC! I'll probably end up SLI with another 660Ti by then though. So I think by that time I will be asking about extra fans!
Related resources
January 4, 2013 7:00:56 PM

alot of cases have a spot for a side fan which blows directly on the gpu and can add some cooling.
January 4, 2013 7:17:37 PM

the great randini said:
alot of cases have a spot for a side fan which blows directly on the gpu and can add some cooling.

Yeah mine has a grated area on my side panel where I guess I could put some extra fans if needed. If I was to SLI my rig later on in the year, with either another 660Ti or a 670, A- would I need extra fans with current temps above and B- is a 700W PSU enough to handle two cards?

Here are my full specs:

i7 3770K OC to 4.6ghz
Asus Ivy bridge P8z77-V motherboard
120gb SSD
1tb Hardrive
GTX 660Ti
16GB RAM
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2013 7:18:05 PM

GPUs tend to run hot because of their small coolers. They do run around 70-90C under full load and are designed to do so. BUT, an aftermarket cooler will drop temps considerably (and the noise). I just changed one on a 460GTX that I fold@home on and it went from 82C to 52C 24/7 under 100% load. I have changed all of my gpu heatsinks (more than a dozen) in the past except for my Quadro and FireGL cards cuz they are so damned expensive and I want to keep the warranties on those.
January 4, 2013 7:49:00 PM

maestro0428 said:
GPUs tend to run hot because of their small coolers. They do run around 70-90C under full load and are designed to do so. BUT, an aftermarket cooler will drop temps considerably (and the noise). I just changed one on a 460GTX that I fold@home on and it went from 82C to 52C 24/7 under 100% load. I have changed all of my gpu heatsinks (more than a dozen) in the past except for my Quadro and FireGL cards cuz they are so damned expensive and I want to keep the warranties on those.

Ahh right awesome. Well it seems I don't have enough room to add side fans, but I have just standard fans in there, so I guess I could upgrade those to much better ones I'm sure.

So if I was to buy a GTX 670 to replace my 660Ti and change the fan at the end of the card, I would get that sort of temp difference?! Do you have any links to where I could purchase any of these aftermarket cooler?

I could SLI them both but it would be a a little crowded in there. Then again I'm not really sure how much space I need to leave for circulation to be honest!
!