Need help to choose an air cpu cooler.

dondanielj

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Hey,

Today I got my FX 8350 CPU, and I plan to overclock it, but currently it's impossible to OC as it's running with the stock cooler.

I been looking at Cooler master v8 and v10, but they are unavailable in the UK.. ;(

Also, been looking at water cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i, but as Iam not a big fan of water cooling Iam still wanting to find something similar to Cooler Master v8/10 CPU coolers...

Any advice?

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I think you will struggle for a good overclock using the Hyper 212 Evo. It is a good 'budget' cooler but the FX-8350 has a large 125W TDP compared to something like i5-3570k which has a 77W TDP. This means it produces more heat and thus needs more cooling.

If you don't want to go for water cooling the Noctua NH-D14 is up there with the best of air coolers. Just keep in mind that it is HUGE and you will need lots of space to fit it in your case.

I would suggest you to get Water cooling. Water cooling requires no cleaning and liquid does cool your CPU more efficient. While using only very Little Space, compared to the air coolers that can compete with watercooling.

Corsair hydro h60 or h80 are both reliable and comes at a decent Price.

The Antec kuhler series are also worth mentioning. the H20 620 or 920 would be the ideal choices with Antec.

If you want to get air cooling then Noctua NH-14 is one of the best you possibly can get. It beats almost any CPU cooler - Even Water cooling.

dondanielj

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

Thanks for a long and helpfull post.. Maybe theres any decent / better water cooling system right now.? I don't want to save money on my cooling system.. Thanks!