Computer turning on and off.

Anvesh60

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Okay, so I just finished building my PC, got everything ready, went out and got Windows 7. And I tried installing it, but it wouldn't work for some reason. But that's not really the issue here. Just maybe it might be inportant info to know the backstory.

Well, after my attempts failed, I realized my optical drive would turn off, a little while after the computer started. Well, it might've turned off. The LED on the Optical drive would turn off. And then a little while later the whole computer shut off.

When I turned it back on it would stay on for 10 seconds from the moment I hit the power button. 10 seconds EXACTLY. No more. No less. I have timed it multiple times. And after that 10 seconds, it would turn off. And it would turn back on, on it's own, for another 10 seconds, and then turns off again. This process repeats over and over again.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Has anyone had this issue before, are one of my parts malfunctioning?

I know Asrock Z77 boards had a problem with Windows shutting down and they fixed it with a bios update. You might check the MSI site and see if they have any recent bios updates for that board that mentions that issue.

it could be that the mb having an issue setting the ram speed. (try pulling out your ram but one dimm and then clear your cmos.) then see if the system will post. (also check to see if your ram on the mb qal list or the ram vendor tested list. check that your cpu will post in the mb. some mb and newer cpu need a bios update to post. (check the box and mb for the bios rev.) check that the standoffs and mb are all installed and your not shorting out the mb. the last thing check that the 24 and 4/8 pin atx power plugs are plugged in. (eps power plug that near the cpu).