theblinkof

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Hello, So over the summer I worked for my family (pay sucks ofcourse) and "built" a pc for 400. I bought a pc of ebay for 250 that had a core 2 quad q8200, 1tb hdd, and 8gb ram. Then I bought a gtx460 hawk used for 100. After that I needed a psu so I, out of money, turned to my uncle who is a owner of power-on.com. He gave me a 750 watt psu for free. Now here is where the questions come in. My freinds dont think that me valve grinding and sandblasting all summer was worth this. 1. WAS it worth it? 2. Is my cpu (intel core 2 quad) bottlenecking my gpu? Since my gpu is more toward the middle end if not low end spectrum then I am kinda thinking its not. 3. I have 50$ (worked a week after i got it). Whats my next move if any? I was thinking about buying a logitech g510 or a sidewinder x4. Is that a good or bad idea? Help me please.

Hi.

1. No, not really honestly. Sounds like your family is in violation of federal labor laws, but thats a story for another time. In all seriousness, you bought a several generations old system. I probably wouldn't have paid 250 for it, but it wasn't that horribly overpriced. I might have paid $150 for it though.

2. Probably not that much actually if at all. The GTX 460 is a decent video card, (I have one as you can see), but its definitely not top tier material. The Core2Quad should be able to keep up with it.

4. I wouldn't do anything honestly. I guess though if you're investing in a mouse or keyboard thats not so bad, but I wouldn't put any more money into the actual computer, until you have enough money to do a whole build. Reusing the case, going with a new CPU/Mobo/Video card.

theblinkof

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Allrite sounds cool. Yea my family are real cheapskates when it comes to labor. Nothing i can do about it. Things get complicated with family and money. So you dont think my q8200 will be a problem? I havnt had any problems. Played crysis maxed out 1280x768 about 25fps. shames my 47" tv lol. just my "tech savy" freinds give me advice. Also is buying a cpu coller and trying a decent oc worth it?

Things get complicated with family and money. So you dont think my q8200 will be a problem?
Paired with a 460, its probably not ideal, but its not completely horrid either.

just my "tech savy" freinds give me advice.
lol, I can give you advice til I'm blue in the face, if you don't got the funds, you don't got the funds.

Played crysis maxed out 1280x768 about 25fps.

Eww lol. Have you checked to see what your CPU usage is at in Windows Task manager while playing? Just to get an idea of whether or not the CPU is bottlenecking? That would seem to me like it is quite a bit. My GTX 460 and 550 TI can handle ultra Crysis 2 @ 1280x1024 at about 50FPS ish with their respective CPUs. Although from what I understand the original Crysis is a bit more CPU heavy than the 2nd one. (I don't have the first one)

Also is buying a cpu coller and trying a decent oc worth it?

Its probbaly about the best thing you can do right now with your money.

This is the one I'd probably go with, its also able to follow you on your next build when you have more money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

What are the full specs of the system? Mobo, and PSU make and model?