Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2012 3:10:44 AM

Hello everyone,

as mentioned in the title, I'm trying my hand at building a gaming/general use PC. I'm mainly looking for advice on whether my parts so far are compatible and recommended for a not-so-expensive build; more details after my list of what I've got so far:

Approximate purchase date: As soon as I decide on all the parts
Budget range: Not entirely sure yet, preferably < €600
System usage from most to least Important: Gaming, programming, heavy browsing
Monitor: Not needed
Preferred website(s) for parts: I'm actually looking for advice here – because I'm in Germany, I can't really use sites like Newegg. Is there a better place to get parts from in Germany than Amazon?
Overclocking: Probably not
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: To be more specific about my requirements, the things that are important to me are Linux compatibility, the ability to essentially run all current games well and also, if possible, a system that's as quiet as possible. Here's what I'm looking at thus far:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3450
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (The graphics card worries me most about Linux compatibility, as the drivers are mostly crap. Does the GTX 560 work well? Also, can someone explain what's going on with the weird branding on graphics cards? Why do Gigabyte, ASUS etc. sell Nvidia cards?)
RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz DDR3 (1x8GB)
Hard drive (SSD): Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 90GB
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (Still not sure about this one)
PSU: be quiet! L7 430W (Is that overkill just to get a quiet PSU? Are 430W enough for what I'm doing?)
Case: Looking for cheap recommendations ;-)

If anyone could answer the questions I listed or has comments, help, recommendations etc., that would be much appreciated :-)

More about : cheap ish gaming linux build

August 21, 2012 5:27:29 PM

Looks like a decent build, however i have never heard of that psu, Go with a well trusted brand like cosair pcpower and cooling, seasonic, antec.... i suggest a cx500..
For case its pretty much personal preference but this is a great case http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58597&vpn=NINE%20HUNDR...

To address your graphics card question Nvida makes the chipset, and then lets other companies make their graphics card with coolers, etc. I would suggest maybe bumping the graphics to a 560ti if you can...

This is importent get 2x4 for ram dual channel ram is always the way to go. I am not so sure about linux, but you may need more then 90gb maybe consider getting a seperate 320gb drive at lease because the os itself takes about 30gb...
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 5:55:43 PM

Socob said:
Hello everyone,

as mentioned in the title, I'm trying my hand at building a gaming/general use PC. I'm mainly looking for advice on whether my parts so far are compatible and recommended for a not-so-expensive build; more details after my list of what I've got so far:

Approximate purchase date: As soon as I decide on all the parts
Budget range: Not entirely sure yet, preferably < €600
System usage from most to least Important: Gaming, programming, heavy browsing
Monitor: Not needed
Preferred website(s) for parts: I'm actually looking for advice here – because I'm in Germany, I can't really use sites like Newegg. Is there a better place to get parts from in Germany than Amazon?

hoh.de, hardwareversand.de
Socob said:

Overclocking: Probably not
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: To be more specific about my requirements, the things that are important to me are Linux compatibility, the ability to essentially run all current games well and also, if possible, a system that's as quiet as possible. Here's what I'm looking at thus far:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3450
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (The graphics card worries me most about Linux compatibility, as the drivers are mostly crap. Does the GTX 560 work well? Also, can someone explain what's going on with the weird branding on graphics cards? Why do Gigabyte, ASUS etc. sell Nvidia cards?)
RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz DDR3 (1x8GB)
Hard drive (SSD): Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 90GB
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (Still not sure about this one)
PSU: be quiet! L7 430W (Is that overkill just to get a quiet PSU? Are 430W enough for what I'm doing?)
Case: Looking for cheap recommendations ;-)

If anyone could answer the questions I listed or has comments, help, recommendations etc., that would be much appreciated :-)

No need for such an expensive mobo if you're not overclocking/SLI'ing. Also, from Linus' recent antics I gather AMD is the recommended GPU brand :lol: 

You want a set of two sticks of RAM to utilize dual channel bandwidth.

Overall, here's what I made for you:

ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP H77 Socket 1155 ATX DDR3
http://www.hoh.de/hardware/mainboards/intel/sockel-1155...

Intel Core i5 3450 4x3.10GHz So1155 Box Ivy Bridge
http://www.hoh.de/hardware/cpu-prozessor/intel/sockel-1...

Corsair 8GB Kit PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 CL9 XMS3
http://www.hoh.de/hardware/arbeitsspeicher/desktop/ddr3...

XFX Radeon HD 6870 925M XXX 1GB GDDR5
http://www.hoh.de/hardware/grafikkarten/amdati/radeon-h...

Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB 2.5 "SATA 6Gb / s
http://www.hoh.de/hardware/ssd-laufwerke/nach-herstelle...

be quiet Pure Power 430W 80 + Bronze ATX 2.3
http://www.hoh.de/hardware/netzteile/400-500-watt/78951...

Be Quiet is a respectable company.
Related resources
August 21, 2012 6:55:39 PM

Spicy_benie said:
Looks like a decent build, however i have never heard of that psu, Go with a well trusted brand like cosair pcpower and cooling, seasonic, antec.... i suggest a cx500..
For case its pretty much personal preference but this is a great case http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58597&vpn=NINE%20HUNDR...

Thanks for the advice on the PSU, I'll look into it, but as far as I know, be quiet is somewhat Germany-specific, and I'm probably going to trust FinneousPJ if he says they're respectable. The case looks cool, but a tad expensive...

Spicy_benie said:
To address your graphics card question Nvida makes the chipset, and then lets other companies make their graphics card with coolers, etc. I would suggest maybe bumping the graphics to a 560ti if you can...

Ah, so it's kind of like motherboard chipsets? That explains it. I've been thinking about a 560Ti, it's just because of the price.

Spicy_benie said:
This is importent get 2x4 for ram dual channel ram is always the way to go. I am not so sure about linux, but you may need more then 90gb maybe consider getting a seperate 320gb drive at lease because the os itself takes about 30gb...

Oh, I didn't know that about RAM, thanks! The SSD ist just for the OS and applications (I already have plenty of hard drives), but I might bump it up a little.

FinneousPJ said:
hoh.de, hardwareversand.de

That looks good, thanks for the tip!

FinneousPJ said:
No need for such an expensive mobo if you're not overclocking/SLI'ing. Also, from Linus' recent antics I gather AMD is the recommended GPU brand :lol: 

I didn't realize I could save that much on the motherboard, cheers! Concerning the infamous Nvidia comment, I've been using AMD GPUs for years now and I've had quite a bit of trouble. From Linux users, I've almost universally heard that Nvidia cards tend to play nicer than AMD cards (although I don't know if that's still the case with the latest cards and drivers). I think Linus' comments were more directed at Nvidia's lack of cooperation with the Linux developers concerning open-source drivers or something, but I'm not entirely sure. If anyone has further details on this situation, that'd be great ;) 

FinneousPJ said:
Overall, here's what I made for you:
[...]

Thanks a lot! I think I'm going to go with all of your suggestions except (maybe) for the graphics card.
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 7:03:07 PM

Socob said:
I didn't realize I could save that much on the motherboard, cheers! Concerning the infamous Nvidia comment, I've been using AMD GPUs for years now and I've had quite a bit of trouble. From Linux users, I've almost universally heard that Nvidia cards tend to play nicer than AMD cards (although I don't know if that's still the case with the latest cards and drivers). I think Linus' comments were more directed at Nvidia's lack of cooperation with the Linux developers concerning open-source drivers or something, but I'm not entirely sure. If anyone has further details on this situation, that'd be great ;) 

I think you're right about his comments, but I've heard both cards work well these days. I dual boot Ubuntu for school work and I have a HD6950, no problem. Also I think AMD actually is recommended these days for Linux users who want multiple screens (may or may not concern you in the future).
Socob said:
Thanks a lot! I think I'm going to go with all of your suggestions except (maybe) for the graphics card.

Cool!
!