Sign in with
Your question
Closed

7970 12.6 Random freezing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2012 11:15:04 AM

Hi, I have a sapphire 7970 using the 12.6WHQL drivers. Since i updated the drivers i have been having random freezes where the screen all turns one colour (all grey/orange/brown) the sound loops and i cannot recover computer wont respond have to do a hard turn off, wont even do a soft restart.

I thought it might be the drivers so i uninstalled those using driver sweeper and went back to 12.4 but the problem is still there. Not sure what to do now, i never had this problem until i updated the drivers to 12.6 and now even when i install the old drivers the problem is still there.

My full system specs are

Gigabyte Z68-UD4-B3
i5-2500k
8gb (2x4) G Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz
Sandisk Extreme 120gb SSD
1.5tb WD Green
Sapphire Dual-X 7970 @ 1000mhz/1450
OCZ ZX 850W Power supply.
Windows 7

One thing i have noticed is that it seems more likely to happen if the computer is inactive for a while then i come back on. If the computer is turned off and i turn it on and use it, then it rarely happens, but if i go away for half an hour and come back then within 5-10 mins the screen will all turn grey or orange. I'm wondering if this is a problem with a power saving feature playing up when computer comes off idle.

More about : 7970 random freezing

a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 11:53:41 AM

Use the 12.7beta drivers... they are exceptional drivers.

1) Download Driver Sweeper here.
2) Download Catalyst 12.7beta drivers here but don't install.
3) Custom uninstall AMD software and select everything and reboot.
4) Run Driver Sweeper and clean AMD drivers and reboot.
5) Re-install CCC and reboot.

Score
July 2, 2012 11:19:26 PM

Tried doing a clean install of 12.7 beta drivers and problem is still there. Have also run memtest and that seems fine so im ruling out the memory. Strange thing is i was previously using the 12.6beta drivers and this never happened. Did they add things to the 12.6WHQL that wasn't in beta? Will try another clean uninstall and 12.4 again lol
Score
Related resources
July 3, 2012 12:47:53 AM

Balce said:
Tried doing a clean install of 12.7 beta drivers and problem is still there. Have also run memtest and that seems fine so im ruling out the memory. Strange thing is i was previously using the 12.6beta drivers and this never happened. Did they add things to the 12.6WHQL that wasn't in beta? Will try another clean uninstall and 12.4 again lol

Try to switch bios from 1 to 2 place on graphic card manually , uninstall 12.6 drivers and after that try to instal 12.4 drivers. good luck bro...I do believe that 12.6 drivers are bad as well as 12.7.. for bios on this card especially in cross fire mod . did you try to disable cross fire mod and see what happened i have same problem with 7950 just read this thread...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/359939-15-sapphire-...
Score
July 3, 2012 12:50:14 AM

If you fix this problem please share it , did i help you ?
Score
July 3, 2012 1:26:33 AM

samkozi said:
If you fix this problem please share it , did i help you ?

I'm only running 1 7970 not cross fired 7970's. So disabling crossfire won't really do anything for me, but thanks for the info, may help someone else with similar problem.

So far, I have tried several different things and what i have found is this:

Games: Diablo 3, Civ 5, SC2, Mafia 2. All work fine no problems while playing for several hours.

Internet browsing: I have had several times where browsing/ watching videos / using facebook where i get grey screen. Am currently thinking it may be a problem with flash player not liking the new drivers as this only seems to happen when/soon after i have begun watching a video in youtube/facebook.

I use Firefox at the moment am going to install Chrome and see if it is any better in that. Will also try updating my flash players and see if that helps.
Score
July 3, 2012 4:20:06 AM

Ok so i have been trying to replicate this and have thus far failed lol. It seems to be pretty random on when it happens. I cant find any one thing that triggers it. In general if i have several tabs open say one for facebook one for youtube and one on here then i will get random freezing, however if i only have one tab/browser open it doesn't seem to happen.
So im thinking possibly an issue where several different types of media used at same time, say 2 different types of video running at once may cause the freeze/loop. For now i don't seem to be having any issues using chrome instead of firefox even with multiple tabs open although time will tell if this works or not.
Score
July 3, 2012 5:41:41 AM

I have just gone back to 12.4 and it is working so far, although i did try that before and it was still happening. I am unable to replicate it whenever i want as im unsure what the cause is.
So since i changed back (for the second time) to 12.4 this morning(first time it still happened so i ended up trying the 12.7beta instead) it hasnt happened again so im hoping its fixed, but time will tell, as i stated above it seems to be random.
Score
July 3, 2012 10:12:20 PM

Didi you fix the problem ...thanks for sharing bro. Every good attempt is helpful for others and information that we get from people like you bro...
Score
July 3, 2012 10:24:06 PM

BigMack70 said:
Post again if you're still experiencing it because I'm trying to figure this out as well... I never saw this on 12.4 and now it's been happening to me randomly as well on the 12.7 beta drivers. I'm trying to figure out if it's confirmable that this is a driver and not a hardware problem.

I want to ask you about cross fire issue for sapphire 7950 standard edition (one cooler in the middle), i have install 12.6 drivers for this cards and when I run gpuz on the first gpu show normal spec everything is fine but for the second gpu spec are different(I have 2042 sp same as 7970 and bandwidth is 20gb/s) , that happening only when I enable cross fire mod , but when i disable cross fire mod spec for both card is normal 1792 stream processors bandwidth 240gb/s, what you suggest me to do?
I didn't try to reinstall os.. thanks in advance bro..
Score
July 4, 2012 12:41:29 AM

Doing a clean uninstall and then installing 12.4 seems to fix it.

I waited to post because it is a random thing and wanted to give it a full day of normal use before posting.
Score
July 5, 2012 3:19:42 PM

Balce said:
Doing a clean uninstall and then installing 12.4 seems to fix it.

I waited to post because it is a random thing and wanted to give it a full day of normal use before posting.

should i install 12.4 cap or i cap is inegreted with drivers
Score
July 16, 2012 5:10:13 PM

Thank you and everyone for taking their time to look at this issue, I have the exact same problem

I am using a Sapphire 7850, I get the random screen, while for you its grey, for me its orange, one time it was purple.

It is VERY VERY random. But it does happen, at least once or twice every two days.

It happens while browsing the internet in Firefox, and while playing games, so far its only happened in Team fortress.

I ran a memtest with the latest driver 2.40 and it did not detect any errors, so that takes care of the memory.

I am using the latest 12.6 CCC driver.

I'm not sure what else to do, I don't have any viruses or anything since it is a relatively new install of windows 7. And I'm very cautious about what gets installed in my computer.

Balce please let us know if you still experience this with the beta driver.
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 16, 2012 10:57:07 PM

Have you had this issue ever since you got the card?
Score
July 16, 2012 11:26:03 PM

I have this issue only until recently (within a week) Ive owned the card for about 2 months.
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 12:03:55 AM

Can you put the card in another PCI-E slot and see if the issue still persists?
Score
July 17, 2012 12:23:09 AM

hm... that is a good suggestion I will try that and report back.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2012 8:41:54 AM

Hi All,

I am having some similar issues but only while playing certain games in DX11 mode.

I have filed a few compaints through AMD's issue reporting and would ask you all to do the same:

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EC4

These lock ups seem to be completely driver related as 99% of people are saying they have only experienced them recently.
Score
July 17, 2012 12:15:08 PM

@joedjnpc, for you the problem is specific but for me and Balce its random, sometimes the random screen/freeze appears simply when browsing online.
Score
July 21, 2012 5:15:30 PM

Update: I switched the places of the video card and when the freeze happens, it now just makes the screen go black instead of the color with vertical white lines. IT happens once a day. Very randomly.
Score
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 21, 2012 6:08:47 PM

Is your motherboard chipset drivers and BIOS updated?
Score
July 23, 2012 2:13:05 AM

Update: The problem has dissapeared altogether now after I disabled the overclock in my GPU from CCC.

Very discouraging to see that my GPU cant overclock now but at least I know what is wrong with it. I will comeback and update again if it does happen but I doubt it.
Score
August 4, 2012 11:33:05 AM

I've also experienced the same problem on 12.6 and the latest catalyst beta drivers. I had some weird screen tearing problem too in previous beta drivers between 12.4 and 12.6.

If you want to maintain your overclocks, use MSI afterburner and setup two profiles. One for 2d (desktop) and one for 3d (games :) .. and da daaaa.. no more random windows gray/green/purple/blue screens.

My theory is that it crashes when changing from idle power/frequency to our insane overclocks. Something in this transition goes haywire, and everything locks up..

good solution?

it'll also reduce your carbon footprint =P
Score
October 28, 2012 5:38:08 PM

Balce said:
Hi, I have a sapphire 7970 using the 12.6WHQL drivers. Since i updated the drivers i have been having random freezes where the screen all turns one colour (all grey/orange/brown) the sound loops and i cannot recover computer wont respond have to do a hard turn off, wont even do a soft restart.

I thought it might be the drivers so i uninstalled those using driver sweeper and went back to 12.4 but the problem is still there. Not sure what to do now, i never had this problem until i updated the drivers to 12.6 and now even when i install the old drivers the problem is still there.

My full system specs are

Gigabyte Z68-UD4-B3
i5-2500k
8gb (2x4) G Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz
Sandisk Extreme 120gb SSD
1.5tb WD Green
Sapphire Dual-X 7970 @ 1000mhz/1450
OCZ ZX 850W Power supply.
Windows 7

One thing i have noticed is that it seems more likely to happen if the computer is inactive for a while then i come back on. If the computer is turned off and i turn it on and use it, then it rarely happens, but if i go away for half an hour and come back then within 5-10 mins the screen will all turn grey or orange. I'm wondering if this is a problem with a power saving feature playing up when computer comes off idle.

Ahh. I seem to be having the same problem you did (Grey screen/ Orange and yellow striped) No strain on my system at all, only things open were word 2010 and Pandora on Firefox. I had the problem with version 12.10 being the geek i am i figured it had to be my drivers I rolled back to 12.8 and it seems to be working.. it's very annoying. *Sapphire HD 7970 OC Edition* I also updated flash thinking Pandora was the issue, but i don't think that really means anything after reading this. Best luck to all. [:russk1:4]
Score
!