Sign in with
Your question

Problem with my new rig - probably a graphics card issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2012 12:14:08 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a problem and I'd really appreciate your help. Lately, I've upgraded my PC and here are the specs of my build:

Gigabyte GA880D2H Mobo (or something like that, I can check it)

Phenom II X4 3,2 Ghz OC'd @ 3,8 Ghz cooled by Thermalright Macho HR-02

4 GB DDR3 1033 mhz

MSI Radeon 7850 Twin Frozr III

OCZ StealthXStream II 500W PSU

I suspect this is a graphics card issue but TBH I'm not 100 % sure. I decided to post this in this section anyway (I hope this won't be a problem). The first thing I've noticed is that AMD drivers suck major balls (not that I didn't expect it:p ). The screen is choppy when scrolling down web pages (there's a bit of flickering too etc.) but as soon as I uninstall the drivers the problem goes away. However, I didn't have any problems in games until now - I've tried a variety of games just to test things, including Crysis 2 DX11 maxed, Metro 2033, Skyrim, Dirt 3, Arkham City, Stalker COP and Alan Wake. No problems whatsoever. Plus, I've ran Prime 95 to check CPU stability and it didn't return any errors.

Two days ago, I tried Mafia II which ran smoothly but after literally a minute the screen went all glitchy and the game returned an error (something like Mafia 2.exe has stopped working). I was back to desktop and wanted to open Firefox to look for a solution but it crashed with a critical error - I just couldn't open it. When it finally did open it was totally glitched, things didn't show up and some elements were stretched. Mafia II always crashes within a matter of minutes and Firefox is ALWAYS glitched afterwards. The only solution is to reebot the system and it goes back to normal. I've read a little and learned that this is quite a common problem with Mafia II (the firefox issue too) so I didn't bother. Unfortunately I've got a similar problem with Assassin's Creed Revelations and Test Drive Unlimited 2. Assassin's Creed works normally but from time to time it crashes with glitched colours then the screen goes black and there's an error message (ACRSP.exe has stopped working). When I'm back to the desktop well, guess what - Firefox is all broken. This ACRSP.exe issue is also common but I didn't found any info about a problem similar to mine (unlike with Mafia II). In TDU2 it's the same but happens a bit faster and I don't get weird colours (like when a GPU is overheating but mine isn't - I've checked it), only glitched, stretched graphics and after a bit of stuttering the screen goes black and an error pops up (TDU2.exe has stopped working). Back to desktop and the dreaded Firefox is down again. It's weird because this problem is exclusive to these three games and I don't know what's wrong.

I'll try to downclock my CPU to stock values and see if that works but I think I would get BSOD's instead of graphical glitches if it was unstable. The PSU might also not cope with the load which would suck because it should do just fine with this rig.

I'm really sorry for this wall of text but I wanted to give you some details about what's happening. I'd appreciate aby suggestions.

Thanks in advance

a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 12:24:27 PM

Which version of the AMD drivers do you have installed?
July 2, 2012 12:50:59 PM

inanition02 said:
Which version of the AMD drivers do you have installed?

Hi,

I've had 12.3 when this was happening, now I run 12.7 beta but it's all the same (but games run faster save for Arkham City which now has poor FPS). I've also tried Catalyst 12.4. I know that both ACR and TDU2 are bug-infested but I didn't expect such problems as these don't seem to be your typical crashes;/

Thanks for the reply
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 12:58:06 PM

Hmm, is the GPU overclocked at all? Do you have another card to test with/can you borrow one from a friend (or can you test your card in a friend's system)?

Otherwise, have you had a chance to try it w/o the CPU overclock?
July 2, 2012 1:12:50 PM

inanition02 said:
Hmm, is the GPU overclocked at all? Do you have another card to test with/can you borrow one from a friend (or can you test your card in a friend's system)?

Otherwise, have you had a chance to try it w/o the CPU overclock?

Hi,

No, I've reverted the card back to stock settings, I didn't need the OC at all (it's stil bottlenecked by my CPU a bit even when running at stock clocks) as the performance gain was negligible. Unfortunately, I don't think I can test the card in an another rig and I don't have a spare one except for the mobo's onboard graphics card which is way too weak to run either of those games. As for the CPU, I'll reinstall TDU2 today and test it on stock CPU settings.
July 2, 2012 2:39:16 PM

Im guessing its the psu. 500w
July 2, 2012 4:12:03 PM

I've reinstalled TDU2 and decided to run it without downclocking first. It ran well for an hour or so but then it crashed. Firefox didn't run again but this time without graphical glitches. I've accidentally opened Windows Media Player and it had totally glitched colours on one of the displayed album covers... This is really weird. Why does it crash and display such artifacts only in these 3 games? I've played Crysis 2 maxed in DX11 mode, which is a real resource hog, and managed to finish it without a single crash. The same with other games. I believe that if it was the PSU it'd give me constant problems in other games too... Plus, a 7850 is rather energy-efficient and OCZ isn't a random no-name brand. From the looks of it it's either the card, AMD drivers or the CPU. Or some other problem I'm not aware of. Downclocking the cpu to stock now, I'll let you know if something changes.

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2012 4:28:18 PM

Hawarimi said:
I've reinstalled TDU2 and decided to run it without downclocking first. It ran well for an hour or so but then it crashed. Firefox didn't run again but this time without graphical glitches. I've accidentally opened Windows Media Player and it had totally glitched colours on one of the displayed album covers... This is really weird. Why does it crash and display such artifacts only in these 3 games? I've played Crysis 2 maxed in DX11 mode, which is a real resource hog, and managed to finish it without a single crash. The same with other games. I believe that if it was the PSU it'd give me constant problems in other games too... Plus, a 7850 is rather energy-efficient and OCZ isn't a random no-name brand. From the looks of it it's either the card, AMD drivers or the CPU. Or some other problem I'm not aware of. Downclocking the cpu to stock now, I'll let you know if something changes.

Thanks

If it's any help, I'm running a HD7870 (Asus). Just started playing AC:Revelations this weekend and haven't had any issues. I'm running 12.4 drivers I believe. Kindof a hassle, but it maybe worth trying a reformat; it's possible that the issue is mafia if it's deployed a bad DLL on installation, and now your other games are using it and crashing the same way (it is very unlikely though). Graphical artifacting in media player and other apps stinks of failing GPU to me though. Have you tried running any games that used to work fine since the problem started to make sure they do in fact still work?

If the format doesn't fix it, you'll at least know that you have a clean slate with software when you call MSI for an RMA.
July 2, 2012 5:56:23 PM

djscribbles said:
If it's any help, I'm running a HD7870 (Asus). Just started playing AC:Revelations this weekend and haven't had any issues. I'm running 12.4 drivers I believe. Kindof a hassle, but it maybe worth trying a reformat; it's possible that the issue is mafia if it's deployed a bad DLL on installation, and now your other games are using it and crashing the same way (it is very unlikely though). Graphical artifacting in media player and other apps stinks of failing GPU to me though. Have you tried running any games that used to work fine since the problem started to make sure they do in fact still work?

If the format doesn't fix it, you'll at least know that you have a clean slate with software when you call MSI for an RMA.

Hi,

Yes, I've tried other games and they all work fine but it seems that I might have found the problem. I have to say that I've just played TDU2 for about 1,5-2h (don't really know, I didn't feel like playing today but I had to test this glitchfest game;P) with the cpu on stock and it didn't crash at all so it seems that it was indeed a CPU issue. To be fair, I did notice some weird albeit fairly minor graphical glitches like dodgy shadows here and there and rarely some black shapes popping up on the screen but I think this is a game issue as it really is buggy as hell (or it doesn't like my drivers). I've monitored the temps and the CPU hit 57 C on stock:(  It's really hot here lately but I didn't think that it'd hit such temps;/ Especially with Macho;/

When I had it overclocked I've ran it at 1,375 V rather than the stock 1,4 v while upping the clock to 3,8 Ghz and I thought it was fine. It was hitting about 50-53 C in Prime95 on a hot day (the temps varied going from 51 to 53 and then going down again). I've only upped Northbridge freq to 2200 Mhz from the stock 2000 without increasing the voltage (at 2,4 on stock volts the PC didn't boot). It seems that I need to find a safe overclock now, maybe I'll try to set the clock 100 mhz lower than before at 1,375 V. But I'll try Mafia II beforehand and I'll see what happens.
July 2, 2012 7:11:08 PM

Hi,

I've tried Mafia II and apparently it's working flawlessly. I think I can safely assume that all of this was due to CPU OC which in these particular games was really unstable. I know this is a GPU section but do you have some tips on how to overclock a Phenom to maintain full stability? I could try to run it @ 3,8 with the stock 1,4 v instead of 1,375 but I'm afraid that the temps will be too high...
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2012 12:43:42 AM

Hawarimi said:
Hi,

I've tried Mafia II and apparently it's working flawlessly. I think I can safely assume that all of this was due to CPU OC which in these particular games was really unstable. I know this is a GPU section but do you have some tips on how to overclock a Phenom to maintain full stability? I could try to run it @ 3,8 with the stock 1,4 v instead of 1,375 but I'm afraid that the temps will be too high...

I'd be interested in such a fix too - my x6 maxes out at 200mhz over stock...
July 3, 2012 7:30:08 AM

I think the only way is to move upwards in small increments and test stability in some games, especially the more problematic ones (as it turns out Prime95 is not so trustworthy in this regard). I know that a 955 can be clocked pretty high so I'll try again but maybe I'll leave NB freq at stock as it's not very beneficial with Deneb. I think I won't be needing these 3,8 Ghz because, quite surprisingly, when I ran games at stock the framerates were virtually the same. I'll try 3,6 or 3,7 max with NB on stock.

Find the safest max voltage and temps for your X6 and monitor everything. It may be the case that your unit just can't push more than these 200 Mhz over stock. If you have some room you may up the volts a bit and see whether that does the trick. Remember to leave CPU voltage control on manual and disable Cool'n'Quiet.
!