Your question

Critique my new PC build please for some light Adobe Production

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2012 3:30:34 AM

EDIT**** Sorry. I am not sure why my links that I posted are not showing up as links. If anyone knows I will try to fix them. I used the code buttons on the top of the forum. *******

Hi all. Planning a new PC to do intensive Office work, video streaming, web surfing and some weekend warrior Adobe CS4 (possible upgrade in the future) video editing and Photoshop work........about 10-15 project per year in AfterEffects and Premiere I would like it to work well with After Effects and Premiere but I realize that having it work flawlessly is not an option on my budget.

My current XPS Dell is just about unusable. The USB ports work.....sometimes, CD drive is gone, etc.

I already have:
ASUS N56U Wireless router with a 2tb WD USB Drive that serves as my "media server" to stream to my XBOX and my LG570 BD Player.

Samsung 24" LED monitor.......will be buying another one some day. I have an older 17" monitor that I run for duals currently.

A 300gb Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300R0 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 / ATA-7 3.5" I use this to store some files on and back up some stuff on my current system in addition to my normal boot drive. I would like to install this in the new machine in addition to the two HDD drives listed below.

This is what I am planning.

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

BOOT DRIVE
Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2

Western Digital 1 TB RE4 SATA 3 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Enterprise Hard Drive - WD1003FBYX

Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit 16 Dual Channel Kit - CML16GX3M4A1600C9B

Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

I am not decided on the case yet. The mid tower case would fit into a recess opening in my computer station where the current one is located. The full tower would require me relocating the CPU and running all new HDMI through the walls to my monitors.
NZXT Source 210 -Inches ELITE-Inches Midtower Case with 3.0 USB - White

NZXT Whisper Black No Power Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler with Four Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-B10-212P-G1)

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

The graphic card is the biggest source of confusion for me. I have read for days and still am no closer to making the "right" choice. Its all very confusing to me.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI-I x 2 / Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, GV-N560OC-1GI

With the cheaper midtower case, some hdmi cables, and the CPU compound, I am at about $1250. With the full tower case about $1290.

This is currently about $150 over my desired budget of $1100 but I dont want to downgrade too much and kick myself for the next 5 years while i have this machine. I can wait a bit longer if I have to.

I plan to purchase in the next week or so......all from Amazon using their Prime so no tax or shipping. They will begin charging sales tax in Sept so sometime before then.

Thanks for any help in advance.

More about : critique build light adobe production

August 21, 2012 3:44:11 AM

Get the ASRock Extreme 4 mobo, and a 600w PSU.
m
l
August 21, 2012 1:32:34 PM

HI OBsama

Thanks for the reply.

Do you recommend this board because its better, or cheaper? My PSU that I have chosen is overkill?

DO you have link to the board anywhere......preferably Amazon? I cant seem to find it there?
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2012 1:49:00 PM

give me a budget, are you doing any overclocking or SLI/crossfire, parts not required, and do you need the OS.

ill build something around that
m
l
August 21, 2012 11:32:50 PM

TheBigTroll said:
give me a budget, are you doing any overclocking or SLI/crossfire, parts not required, and do you need the OS.

ill build something around that

My goal was to stay about $1100 but that came and went :pt1cable: . I'd like to get back there but in the grand scale a 10-15% increase for much better performance would be worth it. I don't want to kick myself over the next few years because I scrimped. However, I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

I have windows 7 professional already. It's installed on my current dell which will go to my so to play some games on so I guess I'll have to purchase another liscense?? Cn I install pro on two pcs? I will have to check. I forgot about that until now.

I am not sure on the overclocking. I somewhat know what it is.......faster performance but ifninunderstand it correctly the trade off is higher heat which translates to lower life. I'd take life over overclocking if thats the case.

SLI/crossfire? I know nothing about so can't comment at all. I will go research now.

If all is somewhat equal I would like to have a usb3 port on the front along with a usb2 which the mid tower case I picked out has. Getting to back of the case would require pulling the whole thing out to plug in usb or something. I can do that but would rahter not The case would ideally be under 17.75 inches to fit into an existing compartment.
Thatnks for the help..........off to google.
m
l
August 21, 2012 11:41:24 PM

Just wanted to add that I don't care one tiny bit about led lights and the such. Just something that works well.

Thanks
m
l
August 21, 2012 11:44:06 PM

if the windows was a retail version, no prob. but if its a OEM version, no.

overclocking doesnt reduce life as long as you do it safely and without much of a increase in voltage. you wont need it for now but is a upgrade option in the future

crossfire and SLI is to run 2 or more video cards of the same type such as 2 7870s or 2 660tis at the the same time to get more performance. it usually doubles the performance. you wont need it for now
m
l
August 21, 2012 11:52:54 PM

TheBigTroll said:
if the windows was a retail version, no prob. but if its a OEM version, no.

overclocking doesnt reduce life as long as you do it safely and without much of a increase in voltage. you wont need it for now but is a upgrade option in the future

crossfire and SLI is to run 2 or more video cards of the same type such as 2 7870s or 2 660tis at the the same time to get more performance. it usually doubles the performance. you wont need it for now

Thanks!!
Minor overclocking sound like something for the future as the new speed of the cuter starts to wear off I'll have a little reserve to fall back on.

I don't see me ever going into the SLI thing then. Not a gamer. I'm still rockin Halo 3!!!! :D  :D 

I bought the windows directly from Microsoft using the student plan. Downloaded it, and they mailed me the key. Sent a DVD a few days later. I would assume that retail but I don't know if the student plan only gets me on pc use. I'll have to look into it.
m
l
August 21, 2012 11:55:17 PM

here you go. i figured out you wont be gaming so i didnt see the use of a video card. if you are going to render stuff on the video card such as animations, id suggest another build. otherwise, heres what i would get. it should be as silent as it gets

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fhb6

its also m-atx so it fits into the size requirement that you stated. if you need a video card in the future, you can always add one. the onboard video is good enough for most tasks and low level gaming. also, video transcoding is a breeze with intel quicksync
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:00:43 AM

TheBigTroll said:
here you go. i figured out you wont be gaming so i didnt see the use of a video card. if you are going to render stuff on the video card such as animations, id suggest another build. otherwise, heres what i would get. it should be as silent as it gets

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fhb6

its also m-atx so it fits into the size requirement that you stated. if you need a video card in the future, you can always add one. the onboard video is good enough for most tasks and low level gaming. also, video transcoding is a breeze with intel quicksync

Ya I do get into some long renders in After Effects and Premiere and timeline scrubs that are decent are a concern. Not sure on board video will keep up, but I'm not an expert on the pc side.

Juggle photoshop, and premiere together is something that is highly valued.
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:57:35 AM

you should be fine with the onboard video though since you are not doing anything with the gpu other than possibly doing some transcoding and just putting out a display for you to see. rendering should be done on the CPU
m
l
!